User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

What should we do with members who dont post?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What should we do with members who dont post?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Zodiac
Shiny, Musky, Fleshy Member

2004-08-24, 12:22

I noticed a lot of the members here have posted only a few times in a single thread and never came back or haven't posted at all. What should be done with them?

Founder of the Applenova Folding Team
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2004-08-24, 12:34

why should anything be done with them?
Zodiac
Shiny, Musky, Fleshy Member

2004-08-24, 12:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurp
why should anything be done with them?
It just seems to be a waste to have the half of the members who have not even have looked at the site for months.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-08-24, 12:48

I've gone months w/o logging into forum sites for one reason or another (school, real life(TM), etc.). One place I visit will send you a warning after 12 months of inactivity. If you don't log into the site at least once in the 30 days following the email, your account gets expunged.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-08-24, 12:49

Do we really need to delete members? We're still sub 1000 anyway
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-08-24, 13:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
Do we really need to delete members? We're still sub 1000 anyway
No, we don't need to delete members that don't post, nor do we need to "warn" them. Membership at this site does not require that you must post, or even must visit this site. Each member account takes up such a marginal amount of disk space and system resources that there is no good reason to prune accounts.

As we begin to expand the site, your account allows you access to more than just the forums, and as such, many members may utilise their accounts without ever posting in the forums. An example of this would be to customize the way the front end looks, or to submit articles.

I don't see this as ever being a real problem.

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-08-24, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCash
No, we don't need to delete members that don't post, nor do we need to "warn" them. Membership at this site does not require that you must post, or even must visit this site. Each member account takes up such a marginal amount of disk space and system resources that there is no good reason to prune accounts.

As we begin to expand the site, your account allows you access to more than just the forums, and as such, many members may utilise their accounts without ever posting in the forums. An example of this would be to customize the way the front end looks, or to submit articles.

I don't see this as ever being a real problem.
Yea, I've only received a warning from the ARS forums, but they probably have many more inactive accounts then most places have active accounts.

The only reason I could see pruning inactive accounts would be to allow the pruned user names to go back into circulation.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2004-08-24, 14:51

hmm thats an interesting point.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-24, 15:21

Yeah, seems kinda mean to "warn" and hassle people for NOT posting. Hell, there are some - myself included, at times - who should get warned and threatened with closed accounts FOR posting, not the other way around.

Bad, silly idea that serves no purpose. Kinda like the NFL, only without the colorful pants.

*ducks*
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-08-24, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Kinda like the NFL, only without the colorful pants.
I'm right there with you, pscates!
Ã¥sen

2004-08-24, 16:28

I registered here on May 16, the day after this place opened for business, and I've posted ~10 times since then.

I figure I learn more by reading all your posts, than you will ever benefit from reading anything I type. So why should I post more?
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2004-08-24, 16:28

don't duck, i'll get your back on that one.
the NFL is the third biggest scam after the papacy and monarchies.
4th is tony bennett can sing, and 5th is kirk douglas can act.
now i'll duck.

i say any member that doesn't post should be thrown in the water to see if they float. and if they don't float they must be a witch....and what do we do to witches?

god i'm bored today.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2004-08-24, 16:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by åsen
I registered here on May 16, the day after this place opened for business, and I've posted ~10 times since then.

I figure I learn more by reading all your posts, than you will ever benefit from reading anything I type. So why should I post more?
good point, way back when i joined the old place, i posted, had my head caved in, and lurked 'til i got the lay of the land and now i can't shut fuck up.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Cybermonkey

2004-08-24, 16:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkaratemonkeydeathcar

i say any member that doesn't post should be thrown in the water to see if they float. and if they don't float they must be a witch....and what do we do to witches?

god i'm bored today.
Shag their brains out?
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-08-24, 17:34

Quote:
only without the colorful pants.
hmmm I think you underestimate the level diversity of these forums...

I'm wearing Khaki pants right now.

We can probably get at least 5 different types of pants...

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-08-24, 17:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkaratemonkeydeathcar
good point, way back when i joined the old place, i posted, had my head caved in, and lurked 'til i got the lay of the land and now i can't shut fuck up.
No, you're sporting 295 posts. pscates, first member to top 1000 posts, can't stfu
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-08-24, 20:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
The only reason I could see pruning inactive accounts would be to allow the pruned user names to go back into circulation.
Does that count as dismemberment??
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-26, 11:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCash
No, you're sporting 295 posts. pscates, first member to top 1000 posts, can't stfu
Yes, but it's thoughtful, well-reasoned, quality shit - staggering in its brilliance, wit and insight - that most everyone should feel honored and fortunate to read.

Or not... wheeee!
Wrao
Yarp

2004-08-26, 13:38

Put 'em in the long boat till they're sober
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-08-26, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
hmmm I think you underestimate the level diversity of these forums...

I'm wearing Khaki pants right now.

We can probably get at least 5 different types of pants...

Flannels here.
Bones3D

2004-08-27, 16:11

Keep in mind, that many people with user accounts will often continue to read the forums without necessarily needing to log in to do it. (Particularly those who surf the web from work or a public terminal.) It's a common practice and I've seen it for years on the Think Secret boards. If this were a major concern for Apple Nova, they could simply disallow people from viewing the forums anonymously at any time.

Of course, if they did this, it would effectively limit the community's ability to grow here. Generally speaking, most people will usually refuse to sign up for a service before seeing what it has to offer.

Aside from that, deleting seemingly inactive accounts of users who visit here on a daily basis would only serve to drive away a good portion of the user base here.

8==8 Bones 8==8
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-08-27, 16:29

yeah, no real positives, and a lot of negatives.

i know there are some forums i only visit a few times every couple of years, but i'd be pissed if i went back there and my account was gone.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-27, 18:45

Exactly. It should be a come-and-go-as-the-mood-hits kinda place.

No harm in infrequent, casual members.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-08-27, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
Flannels here.
No pants at all....
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-27, 20:06

Lalala...I'm not listening...lala...I didn't read that...
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-08-27, 20:19

If Sir Mac O' The Isles were a member, we might have at least one kilt wearer.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-27, 20:36

You know, I could really get into the idea of kilts. TOTAL freedom! I was watching that band, Enter the Haggis, play a show on TV a few weeks ago (check out my AppleOutsider thread on them) and they looked really cool (both ways).

I don't mind saying that I wish it was accepted and I wouldn't get a beating for it.

I figure it would be just like wearing my robe (I love getting out of the shower and wearing nothing but my cozy robe for hours)...total comfort, no binding, etc.

Help me start a "kilts are okay...back off!" movement, people. Considering my ethnic background/roots, I'm entitled...

Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-08-28, 08:40

Quote:
You know, I could really get into the idea of kilts.
Considering my ethnic background/roots, I'm entitled...
I don't know about kilts. Last year I met a German guy who wears kilts exclusively. He doesn't even own pants or shorts or anything else. Just kilts and those tall white socks. And he doesn't have a single drop of Scottish blood! Seemed pretty crazy to me.

Now the bath robe I can agree with. Especially if you can sit in front of the fireplace and warm your feet while sipping a cup of hot coffee or cocoa with smores.

PS: I'm wearing cargo shorts. That makes four kinds of "pants."

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-28, 08:48

Yeah, I've been a recent convert to the whole "cargo" thing. I loaded up at Old Navy and Target back in the spring: a few shorts, some pants in different colors (khaki, olive, etc.). I dig the loose, baggy feel AND I've got a pocket for EVERYTHING!

Nice to give the jeans a rest...

As for kilts, I just think that would be a cool, comfortable way to go through the day. I'd look bitchin' in orange tartan plaid...

Cybermonkey

2004-08-28, 10:23

I dont thing it would be a very good idea to be wearing kilts in the U.S.A. If you come across a snake or nasty spider guess where they'll be heading first