Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

_too_ long user names

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
_too_ long user names
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-08-25, 10:12

I love AN's graphical layout and design. But there is one thing that has been irking me for months: user names that are too long and in one piece. For example, superkaratemonkeydeathcar, as much as I enjoy his user name, completely screws up the layout of the index tables (see screenshot below). Is there any way we can break up his user name into one or more bits?

Please?

Escher

PS: I understand my screenshot is a bit wide. But I wanted to make the screwed up layout visible unaltered.

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-08-25, 10:40

I agree. I hate long user names that do that. Over at the dotcom, we added a space to SKMDC's name so it wouldn't force the screen to stretch so badly like that.

There is an option in vB that allows us to set an absolute maximum length on user names, but not one that imposes a maximum length of a single word within a user name.

The best we can do is PM SKMDC and ask him if he wouldn't mind changing his name. It's a very easy change to make for us from the admin panel (just changing one text field). All we just need is the go-ahead from him so he knows what his new login name is.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2004-08-25, 10:48

i dont see a problem in this... said the guy with a 1600x1200 screen res
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2004-08-25, 10:50

man i really suck.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-08-25, 11:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurp
i dont see a problem in this... said the guy with a 1600x1200 screen res
From hell's heart I stab at thee... said the guy with a 1024*768 screen res
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-25, 11:23

How about "supermonkey", which is funny all on its own.

Everyone will know who it is!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-08-25, 11:25

Maybe you can call yourself "monkeydude," but if you did that I'd just call you Josh.
SKMDC

2004-08-25, 11:26

well in fact no one has asked me yet.
but no, supermonkey ain't gonna happen.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-25, 11:33

Sissy.

Then how's about just the initials, skmdc? Lots of people use that anyway.

Hell, I dont care...it ain't my name.
SKMDC

2004-08-25, 11:44

as i said nobody has asked me yet.
SKMDC

2004-08-25, 11:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Maybe you can call yourself "monkeydude," but if you did that I'd just call you Josh.
ummm, i don't think you'll ever hear the word dude coming out of my mouth son.
unless someone calls me dude, then i might throw it back at them.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-08-25, 11:53

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail72.html
SKMDC

2004-08-25, 11:59

i never "got" (meaning, i get it, i just don't get why people dig it) strongbad, probably for the same reason i don't call anyone dude.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-08-25, 12:23

i like the long version. dont ever change it.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2004-08-25, 13:05

lol how about drunknmunky, they make cool tshirts also.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-08-25, 13:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
How about "supermonkey", which is funny all on its own.

Everyone will know who it is!
his name could be SuperKarate and his title could be Monkeydeathcar
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2004-08-25, 13:27

I like the name, but I really like the idea of a <br> in there. Remember, you're screwing up everyone else's layout!
SKMDC

2004-08-25, 13:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
his name could be SuperKarate and his title could be Monkeydeathcar
if it were to be broken, it could be
SuperKarateMonkey
DeathCar,

but as i've said no one has asked me yet.

how come it never messes with my format? i'm 1024 x 768 and it's never done it to me.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-08-25, 16:54

Glad to hear I'm not the only one bothered by terribly long one-word user names!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkaratemonkeydeathcar
but as i've said no one has asked me yet.
OK, superkaratemonkeydeathcar. Since I started this thread, I will ask you, and the admins can do whatever they wish/what you agree to. Below is another instance of your long username screwing up the layout for the listing of this very thread! If your username wasn't such a long single word, there would be enough space for most topic titles to be one line. Your long user name forces that column to be unnecessarily long, and take space away from other more useful columns with shorter word.

Will you change your user name to anything that doesn't contain any single word longer than 10 characters? I think skmdc would be your wisest choice, something like "superkarate" would be OK, while "superkarate monkey deathcar" is almost as useless as everything in one word.

Will you change your username, pretty please?

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.

Last edited by Escher : 2004-08-25 at 17:05.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-08-25, 17:04

How exactly is it screwing it up beyond just making the table cell that has the thread title less wide? You're basically saying you require a wider table cell for the title of the thread, right?

And why the hell do you keep your browser window so narrow?

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-08-25, 18:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCash
You're basically saying you require a wider table cell for the title of the thread, right?
LoCash: Yes, exactly. And a narrower table cell for user names, including the unbearably long skmdc. See my edited post above.

Quote:
And why the hell do you keep your browser window so narrow?
Because otherwise I loose my way when I go from the end of one line to the beginning of the next line.

BTW: I didn't mean to single out skmdc. There are others that are almost as bad.

Escher

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-08-25, 18:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
From hell's heart I stab at thee... said the guy with a 1024*768 screen res
Khaaan!

Width is sometimes more important than length, but depth can trump.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-08-31, 16:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC
man i really suck.
Not so much anymore, SKMDC! Thank you for agreeing to shorten your username. It will spare a bunch from frustration, and it should save you some typing as well.

Of course, the 25-character one-word member title is almost as bad. But at least it doesn't show up in index tables.

Escher

mattf

2006-04-28, 13:46

*big bump*

This is still a bit of a problem. Is there still no way to restrict the length of single words in a username?

EDIT: And it gets worse under other circumstances.

Last edited by mattf : 2006-04-28 at 13:56.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-04-28, 13:57

Using your email address as your username is only asking to be spammed to death, anyway. Perhaps the problem could be partially solved by not allowing the @ in the username. That would take care of those email address user names that seem to become more common recently.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-04-28, 14:07

I'd send SKMDC over to talk to this person... you know, a man-to-man chat. Or woman-to-man. Whatever.

A chat.

You know.
About changing their screen name.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-04-28, 14:15

fixed it.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-04-29, 08:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
Using your email address as your username is only asking to be spammed to death, anyway. Perhaps the problem could be partially solved by not allowing the @ in the username. That would take care of those email address user names that seem to become more common recently.
I think the problem is that a lot of people use their e mail address sans "@domain.com" for their screen name on AN, but they have auto fill turned on. By the time they notice that auto fill put in the rest of the e mail address it's often too late to change it without pleading to an administrator. I doubt that many people actually want to use the @domain.com in their display name.

Come waste your time with me
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-04-29, 12:18

Either that or they accidentally put their email address in the username field. Some sites I've been to require an email address for the username.
Meli

2006-04-29, 17:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
I think the problem is that a lot of people use their e mail address sans "@domain.com" for their screen name on AN, but they have auto fill turned on. By the time they notice that auto fill put in the rest of the e mail address it's often too late to change it without pleading to an administrator. I doubt that many people actually want to use the @domain.com in their display name.
Thats exactly what happpened to me. When I got the confirmation email I didn't click the activation link. I tried to register with a different screen name but then I couldn't use the same email. It tells me its already in use so I have to use another email adress I have. Damn that autofill!