Hacking a Western Digital My Book...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Hacking a Western Digital My Book...
Joshua
Hey where the white women at?

Send a message via AIM to Joshua  
2007-12-28, 16:09

Hi all,

I had a hard drive on my 500GB WD My Book take a dump on me. It's out of warranty so I'm screwed. But I was thinking up picking up a bare 1TB drive and slapping that in there.

Does anyone know if WD employs any schemes to A) limit the drive size or B) limit the usage of the enclosure to only their drives?

I can either get another 500GB drive for about $100 or a 1TB for about $250, but regardless of which way I go, I want to make sure what I get will work with the WD enclosure.

Thanks.

iMac G3
iMac G5
MacBook
rob05au

Send a message via ICQ to rob05au Send a message via AIM to rob05au Send a message via Skype™ to rob05au 
2007-12-28, 16:16

Why don't you check out western digitals site for the model you have all be dead and you should be able to find some tech specs on it. I am pretty syre they are only able to take the same size drive.

A word of warning with WD drives they have a rather bad problems around 12 mths onwards of suddenly dying sudden
Joshua
Hey where the white women at?

Send a message via AIM to Joshua  
2007-12-28, 16:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob05au View Post
Why don't you check out western digitals site for the model you have all be dead and you should be able to find some tech specs on it. I am pretty syre they are only able to take the same size drive.

A word of warning with WD drives they have a rather bad problems around 12 mths onwards of suddenly dying sudden
Ya, I've already done that. One support doc I read says a max of 500GB and another one said 750GB.

But I haven't been able to find anything that said it HAS to be WD drive. But even if it doesn't I don't expect for them to advertise that.

I guess I can try and worse case if it doesn't work I can put the drive in my PC, but I really need it for my iMac.

iMac G3
iMac G5
MacBook
Anthem

2007-12-29, 14:24

There are plenty of good enclosures that aren't very expensive... hit up NewEgg and look for 5-egg products.
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-12-29, 16:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob05au View Post
I don't think this really holds true. In the last year I've had a 2.5" Seagate die within its warranty period. I've also had a 3.5" Western Digital die outside its warranty period. Over the years, this is my track record:

Warranty replacements:
1 Maxtor 40 GB HDD
1 IBM Deskstar 75GXP
1 Western Digital 120 GB HDD
1 Seagate 160 GB HDD

Failures outside warranty period:
1 Western Digital 180 GB HDD

Pretty inconclusive if you ask me. I have far more WD and Seagate drives than any other brands.

Close your eyes and pick one...that's what I do when I shop for HDDs.

Last edited by Eugene : 2007-12-29 at 16:20.