Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

One of our members needs help.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
One of our members needs help.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-11-19, 22:16

Due to the unexpected illness and lengthy hospitalization of his parent, one of our international members (of four years standing) finds that his family is in dire financial straits. They have reached the limit of the funds they have been able to raise, and now have nowhere to turn. With ongoing medical costs, their house is on the verge of being repossessed and their car has been sold.

If, in your generosity, you would like to provide some financial assistance to this member, there are two ways to do so.

First, you could use the Paypal "Donate" link in the menu at the top of this page. Type in "Donation for the member who needs help". These contributions will come to AppleNova and then will be forwarded on to the member in question.

(This Paypal link is normally used by AN members who wish to chip in on the running of AppleNova itself, since, because we refuse to clutter up the messageboard with outside advertising, we are financed only by a few staff members out of their own pockets, and run on a shoe-string budget.)

Second, if you prefer 'not' to use Paypal, you could send an international check or an international money order (obtainable at your bank) directly to the member. If you PM me, I will give you the information you'll need to get started.

If you have any questions about this, PM me and I will try to answer them. Thanks in advance for any assistance, whether large or small, that you can provide to our member.

Last edited by Windswept : 2008-11-20 at 15:00.

Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-11-22, 16:12

With regard to international money orders:

I was at the post office yesterday and just happened to ask. The clerk said that, yes, one *can* get international money orders at the US Post Office. She said that the fee for the money order I might be interested in would be $3.50 USD.

I asked if the dollar amount of the money order mattered, and I think she said 'no'; but I can't guaranteee that she heard my question properly, since I had already started turning away from the counter when I thought to ask it.

Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-12-04, 17:49

Updated info on international money orders:

Yesterday at the post office, I specifically asked the clerk about international money orders. She checked her computer, and apparently the US Post Office does NOT sell international money orders for all countries.

Specifically, they do NOT sell money orders for the country involved in this thread. Honestly, I find this hard to believe, and have a feeling the clerk wasn't checking the list properly; but, I wasn't going to challenge her on it.

So, I guess those interested will have to go to their bank after all. Just wanted to let people know, and sorry if anyone was inconvenienced.