User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Holy cow, it's snowing like a bastard...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Holy cow, it's snowing like a bastard...
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-12-01, 14:51

I can't remember the last time this happened, a snow this "early" (we don't get this stuff here in the Chattanooga area until late-January to mid-March, and even then it's usually just a light dusting or maybe a couple of inches on a "heavy" year). November/December here is, traditionally, just grey and damp or sunny and bone-chilling cold. But no snow or ice (I've never had a "white Christmas" in 39 years).

But here it is, December 1, and it's coming down like a Frank Capra movie. And the sun is out. I don't think it's volcanic ash or a pillow factory exploded...I would've heard something.

Two things I've never seen. An earlier-than-usual "sun snow".

Apparently I'm easily entertained...

thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2008-12-01, 14:57

how exactly does a bastard snow?? it is hard for me to understand both, "the amount" and "the rate and heaviness"

g
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-12-01, 14:58

FWIW, same thing happened in my area last year and the year before. Though I'm bit further North than you are, the climate is basically same as you described- snows being confined to a week or so every year and nothing to sneeze at, except for the last two years where we had snows not once but two or three times and deep cover.

I say it's all global warming's fault.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-12-01, 15:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding View Post
how exactly does a bastard snow?? it is hard for me to understand both, "the amount" and "the rate and heaviness"

g
A lot. That's a scientific measure.

Seriously? As in "a sheet of white where I could barely see a quarter-mile down the road or across the way, and accumulating on the ground in a matter of minutes; thick, dense and fast-falling, with occasional gusts that just kicked it all around sideways and getting everywhere". That help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Kindly refrain from dropping flame-bait and "stick in the eye" comments in an otherwise mellow thread. It'll just attract the weinees and scrappers (on both sides) and turn into something ugly.

The sun went away, and it's very dark and grey now. And very still and quiet. Should be an interesting afternoon and evening! I think the North Carolina mountains east of here (Murphy, NC, etc.) were supposed to get hammered by a system, so I guess some of it flung itself 50-100 westward?
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2008-12-01, 15:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Noooooo....... it's all Obama's fault!! US smug emissions have quintupled since he was elected!!!

Isn't he supposed to be The One? Shouldn't he have fixed everything by now?

In other news... I am completely SHOCKED at the very notion that pscates is "easily entertained"....
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-12-01, 15:04

Philly had a little dusting last week, but it all melted by the afternoon.

Still waiting for our first substantial snow of the year.

I love snow, so I can't wait until it does. Winter is my favorite time of the year.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Mancomb Seepgood

2008-12-01, 15:15

I've never even been to the snow.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-12-01, 15:17

It doesn't snow in Northern California (checks map to confirm that is Sacramento's location )? Or do you have to go up into the mountains around there to see it, and you just never have?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-12-01, 15:28

It must snow a little in some parts of northern California. I saw snow on Mount Shasta when I was there in June.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2008-12-01, 15:33

We got 8 inches yesterday, here outside of Milwaukee... Yay! I'm going to Canada in a week or two. Even more snow.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2008-12-01, 15:40

What part of Canada, we've not seen a flak of snow in the Vancouver area since last winter.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2008-12-01, 15:42

North of Toronto for now, I'd like to take another trip to BC but that might have to wait til spring or next year...
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2008-12-01, 15:46

Ontario, yeah, lots of snow for them this week. Its a balmy 48ºF here today.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-12-01, 15:52

And as foggy as a very foggy thing.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2008-12-01, 15:57

Hmm, you must be closer to the coast or something, that fog seems to have lifted here.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-12-01, 16:02

Right on False Creek.

But anyway, back to your regularly scheduled discussion of snow, and the feeding therof.
Mancomb Seepgood

2008-12-01, 16:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
It doesn't snow in Northern California (checks map to confirm that is Sacramento's location )? Or do you have to go up into the mountains around there to see it, and you just never have?
Tahoe's only about an hour and a half away. Just never taken the time to go up there and hang out. I'm a big baby when it comes to being cold.

I actually might try and do it this winter, but I doubt I'll have time. I always tell myself, "This is the year!"...
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2008-12-01, 17:27

Do make it this year, get away from Sacramento. Kind of flat, area, get into the mountains man! On a side note, I got lost in Sacramento while trying to get from I5 to highway 99 on my way to Modesto. Nice city, for the half hour I was there.
Bonn89

2008-12-01, 17:37

I find it funny that pscates's town got as much as it did, considering I live in MAINE, and we only got an inch (that the rain took away today)!
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-12-01, 18:00

It snowed in NJ the very last week of October and everyone was really confused. I mean, it was raining when I went into class, snowing when I left it. Ever since then, though, we've had no snow. In fact it was 46 today, which is downright pleasant considering the last few weeks!

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-12-01, 21:29

It's very weird outside (just got home from rehearsal). It's very wet and cold, and the bulk of the system is supposed to wind down over the next several hours (no more stuff from the sky), but it's supposed to drop to about 29 or so tonight, so all that water and slushy stuff will freeze and the commute tomorrow could be interesting for everyone.

People around here drive like flaming idiots on a good day, so I don't even want to imagine how they will act on icy roads. Would be a good time to own a tow truck or auto dent repair business.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2008-12-01, 21:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Bonney View Post
I find it funny that pscates's town got as much as it did, considering I live in MAINE, and we only got an inch (that the rain took away today)!
The problem with Maine snow is that the vast majority of the snow is in big dumps from Noreasters. The only problem is that it's so damn cold that the snow stays throughout the entire winter.

I guess you can classify me as a snow person. Grew up in the snowbelt of New York, moved to Maine for grad work, used my summers to go and study snow, and now back living and working outside in the snowbelt again.

I'm a glutton for punishment I guess.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
Partial
Stallion

2008-12-01, 22:00

Snowed like crazy here yesterday. Winter sucks.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2008-12-01, 22:12

Where's our snow here? I want my hockey weather so I can go hit the pond!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-12-01, 22:19

Hey, if any of you guys are getting too much snow, feel free to send some of it down here.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-12-01, 22:56

Quote:
Kindly refrain from dropping flame-bait and "stick in the eye" comments in an otherwise mellow thread. It'll just attract the weinees and scrappers (on both sides) and turn into something ugly.

Sorry. I keep forgetting how not everyone shares my wonderful sense of humor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Hey, if any of you guys are getting too much snow, feel free to send some of it down here.
Be careful what you wish for. You could get a COD delivery of 2 million pounds of snow tomorrow.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-12-01, 23:11

No worries. FFL came right behind you and was even worse...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-12-02, 00:00

This thread is nothing without pictures.

You could always send the snow over here. Shame we just about never get any where I live. 10 more miles west and there's plenty though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-12-02, 00:55

Quote:
But here it is, December 1, and it's coming down like a Frank Capra movie. And the sun is out. I don't think it's volcanic ash or a pillow factory exploded...I would've heard something.
Well this is useless unless you tell us what kind of snow it is.

Is this light powdery snow? It kind of glimmers as the sun hits it? It's too dry to pack a snowball with, so you have to wait until the next day for it to melt a little for snowman making?

Is it heavy, wet snow? The kind of snow that makes huge drops of water when it hits your windshield? This normally means lots of clouds, and no sun.

Is it somewhere in the middle? Did it change snow mid-storm? Or is it just slush? Sometimes the flakes melt as they fall through the atmosphere so by the time it gets to you. It's like being rained on by a malfunctioning slushie machine.

Or maybe its sleet, or hail, or freezing rain?

Was the ground warm when it started snowing? A lot of snow melts on contact until the ground gets cold enough for the snow to accumulate. How much of the snow is actually accumulating on the ground, and how much is simply flowing away?

Here in upstate New York we got a lot of freezing rain and then some slush. Like an inch of it everywhere. It melted and made mud the next morning. They got some legit snow in Massachusetts too (I was driving from MA to NY as this storm was happening) but it melted pretty fast anyway.

Snow is great! Until it turns into brown slush everywhere. And really, only for the first few snows. After that all you can think about is how cold it is and how hard it is to drive.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Partial
Stallion

2008-12-02, 01:13

Ours in Milwaukee started out pretty much as freezing rain, than it was packed down with thick wet snow.

It's a lot of fun to play in as you can create the ultimate snow ball, but man, with that layer of ice underneath the snow it is such a pain to get off of your car in the morning after a late night storm.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...