AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Danger, Help, iMac...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Danger, Help, iMac...
Page 3 of 3 Previous 1 2 [3]  Thread Tools
Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-04-15, 09:36

Apple has always been a bit dictatorial* when it comes ergonomic decisions. There's an old design/ergonomic guideline that predates the puck mouse that explains their reasoning. You should never rest your hand on the mouse and wrist on the desk, this breaks the wrist and puts a lot of strain into your wrist/tendons and bones in the upper hand instead of spreading the movement over the larger muscles of your arm. Apple's solution? Discourage bad form by making mice that are designed to be picked up rather than rested upon. Industry answer? Make fat mice you cup with your hand, and wrist rests to elevate the wrist for less of a break. I always though Apple mice tracked very well and were plenty responsive. Apart from my bad posture, however, I think the mouse does need s slicker undercoating for sliding around the desk. I wonder if I have any white plumber's tape lying around...

EDIT: ha, it's been updated and you can find reference to RMI prevention on their website: wrist injury is covered right at the start

*they're kinda like Frank Lloyd Wright's buildings. They know what you want, but if they know it's wrong, they're just not going to give it to you. Find your enablers somewhere else.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-04-15, 09:55

I've never used a mouse on a regular desk surface. I've always bought one of those $2 black, slightly cushy mousepads with just the slightest pit of texture/grip. Replace it every year or so once it gets too slick/worn.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-04-15, 13:32

I installed Nik software's plug-ins and am using their 15 day trial in PS (CS6) though I understand they also work in Lightroom. I may buy this set as the bundle is somewhat useful for a few of the filters and it is a reasonably priced set of tools. It can take some time to open a large image into one of the tools. It's not slow, it's just not FAST. It looks like a lot of image editing apps are still not properly multi-threaded on top of being memory hogs. Some things just fly, others remain irksome. I'm itching to add some more RAM and see what improves and what doesn't. I wonder if there are utilities that gauge processor utilization?

OSX on the other hand appears to do a nice job of balancing and managing resources. I can stream a how-to tutorial at 720P on my second display and follow along on the main display with a big high res file and the machine stay quiet and responsive.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-04-16, 16:41

I picked up the magic trackpad today so I can compare them more directly over the next little while. I have to visit my father's old garage/tool shed and see if there's a nice piece of reclaimed wood there so I can make up a little "surf-board" of my own. One pass with a router, some sand paper, a little stain and some tongue oil should do the trick...

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2014-04-16, 16:57

The Nik/Google package is great, from what I've read some features are only available for photoshop, so using them through that software is a good place to start.

As for checking what the CPU is doing, just go into Activity monitor, it gives more than enough information on what individual apps and plugins are doing.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-04-16, 17:08

The best thing about the photoshop functionality is that you can bring your Nik adjustments into a layer mask/alpha channel and then brush the Nik effect only into those areas where you want it, hair vs skin for example, or background vs foreground, etc etc...

This wouldn't an option in Lightroom, unless there's some way to add basic layers functionality into Lightroom.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2014-04-16, 18:56

I use the Nik Collection with Aperture and there are very few times I felt the need for layers (I do have Pixelmator for that if need be). The U-Point tech works extremely well, it's like having layers without having layers.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-04-16, 20:11

Not everything in the suite uses control points though. While convenient, a bit like pins in ACR, its functionally very different from a layer mask and alpha channel - you can pick up specific tones/textures and mask in very intricate detail that would be impossible to do with simple brushing, but what's better is that you can make and apply selections very very quickly.

PS. I just discovered a useful tip. Are you using mavericks? In the general info panels for each of the Nik apps make sure to check "prevent app nap". Loading in PS sped up nicely with this change. Should be good for Lightroom and Aperture too.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2014-04-16, 20:25

Interesting, never had any noticeable speed issues with the Nik plugins. I'll have to try it to see if there is any speed difference. Since Aperture makes TIFF files the output from the Nik plugins are rather large (140mb average) so I suspect the speed in the case of the Aperture/Lightroom plugins is directly effected by file size.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-04-17, 08:18

So, when did refresh rate options under OSX disappear? A quick search shows Apple's locked users out of changing the refresh rate of the native panel. The external panels compatible refresh rates show up under display preferences, just not the internal display. SwitchResX shows the native panel running at 60hz. A quick scan of the web shows that people have been adjusting the refresh rate of their Macbook Pro Retina displays. I wonder what the top end is for this display. Most controllers will allow for 72-75hz, at least, some 85-100. Anyone know off the top of their heads before I start playing with settings?

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2014-04-17, 11:30

Refresh rate options have never been available for the built in display for iMac or MBPs (as far as I know). They are available for external displays.

Changing the refresh rate won't help much here, since it is likely the slower speed of the gray to gray response time of the ISP panel you are noticing. It does take some getting used to after using a faster responding TN panel.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-04-17, 12:13

I know what you mean. The grey to grey time doesn't bother me. I'm wondering though, if a few tweaks might let me reduce the screen brightness a tad further. Not a big deal. Lookign at TFT central, it might be that most 1440P displays top out at 60hz anyway. I do know that some people are bumping their Retina MBPs to 70-72h. Anyone have any experience with SwitchResX or similar apps.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-04-20, 10:10

Multiple desktop workspaces are a revelation. Fantastic. I can dedicate one desktop to office/email and one to CS6. Ironically, my favourite use for the second monitor is to load my various "how-to" notes and videos on the secondary screen and then try my hand at more advanced stuff on the main screen while I follow along in real time. I would absolutely recommend this set up to any student or person doing some form of online seminar/learning. It's great. The machine streams with aplomb and runs photoshop simultaneously without issues.

My Rogers Cable Modem/Wireless Router gives the iMac issues when waking from sleep though. I sometimes have to cycle the iMac's airport on an off. It then immediately finds the network and syncs up and I don't have to do a thing. Not sure if it's a mac thing, my MBP does this from time to time too, or a shitty cable company equipment thing. Maybe I should get my own wireless router and put everything behind a proper firewall?

More usage reports.

- I may be getting used to the Magic Mouse, but I don't use it exclusively. It's almost an even 50-50 split with the Magic Trackpad - which I just love for navigation and some finger-painting (simple brushes); not so much for click and drag (pen tool) stuff. The mouse grows on you, and the two complement each other very well.

Ergos and other things you just don't think about until you use it at home.

- I have my desk back. Of course we've all seen iMacs in institutional settings, but dozens (or hundreds) of screens in a room in rows of purpose built desks and cubicles makes a different impression. I have a small simple desk. My preference is for a large simple desk, but I don't have the luxury of that much space. I have 24"x48" to work with and a some shelving. That's it. With a laptop open and wires to a second display and external HDD, and power, and a book or a few sheets of paper to make notes, there was no where to go. I was always getting in my own way. Add a coffee mug, and a big bowl of whatever, and everything became a bit of a balancing act.

It's all open space now. The two displays sit right back against the the wall. The few wires drop down behind the iMac to a cable management basket I mounted to the back edge of the desk, where an external HDD also lives. I have enough room on my desk for food and drink and paper, and if I spill something, the only things it could damage are the wireless keyboard/trackpad/mouse. The displays and "CPU" are safely up on their stands. The desk could use a pull out leaf, just to give a little more depth for me to sit back and stretch my legs or keep a few extra leaves of paper and a book open on the desk, or a very low profile keyboard tray - still not sure what to build, but I'll post some pictures when I get it done.

It's really wonderful being able to work, and eat and drink, and collaborate, and surf, and do it all from a clutter free workstation with a really big screen.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2014-04-20, 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
It's really wonderful being able to work, and eat and drink, and collaborate, and surf, and do it all from a clutter free workstation with a really big screen.
Yup, that is what makes the 27" iMac one of the best computers I've ever owned.
PBMB

2014-04-24, 03:15

Quote:
Multiple desktop workspaces are a revelation. Fantastic.
You mean this is the first time you use workspaces? If I remember correctly this functionality first appeared back in the days of Mac OS X 10.5. UNIX systems had it much earlier of course.

But anyway, it is really wonderful to have multiple workspaces and distribute your applications and windows across. I remember, when I was in the first Mac OS X versions (10.1-10.3) many years ago, how desperately I tried to use the half-baked third-party solutions of the time. Today it is so much better.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-04-24, 07:45

Yep. I didn't touch the implementation in previous iterations. My laptop seemed a bit pokey, so I had the installs streamlined to just CS6, Office, and Safari/Firefox and iTunes (for my wife). I had a decidedly single task approach, even just browsing a big folder in Bridge and opening a file in ACR and moving it to PS could spin up the CPU fans and HDD access like crazy - an 8 year old C2D and 3GB RAM limit will do that to you...

Quagmire
meh

2014-04-24, 09:22

Have you bought iStat Menu's( or used any other temperature/fan control software) to monitor your temps, especially when running CS6, etc?

Apple's fan control is severely conservative and allow temps to rise a bit too much before ramping up the fan. Using Apple's stock fan control the CPU would rise to 70 C and the GPU to 80 C when playing X-Plane. Using iStat Menu to max the fan to 2600 RPM reduces the temps down to 57 C for the CPU and 62 C for the GPU.

giggity
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2014-04-24, 13:13

My recommendation is Macs Fan Control, it's free and allows you to control fan speeds based on different factors.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2014-04-24, 19:33

Quote:
[...] I think the mouse does need s slicker undercoating for sliding around the desk. I wonder if I have any white plumber's tape lying around...[...]
I have a smooth leather track pad underneath the Magic Mouse on our iMac (which I am on right now). It provides the perfect under-surface for what that particular mouse needs (and looks great too). I have no recollection where I got that trackpad though.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Wrao
Yarp

2014-04-25, 14:13

On the subject of ergonomics and mice, an unsung benefit to the magic trackpad, in my experience, has been its conduciveness towards keeping a neutral wrist position that doesn't become strained or uncomfortable over prolonged usage. My hand has felt healthier all around since I switched to a magic trackpad. Though, obviously it's not sufficient for some usage so I still have a mouse, but I always thought that was pretty cool how tech improved in such a way.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-04-25, 14:31

A couple of things. I've not noticed the need for any fan control on the iMac, I have my website CMS, firefox and outlook open, a set of project files in Bridge, and Photoshop all running right now. I can hear the fan going, just. There's no heat coming off the screen. Truth be told, I'm a bit suspicious of fan controls unless the machine in question is know to run uncomfortably hot. Surely Apple knows more about the heat tolerances of the chipsets and CPU than any of us, who stand as good a chance of burning out the fan motor as we do of cooling the CPU more effectively.

About mice and trackpads. I think both are the way to go. Even if you haven't got a great ergonomic design, it's just nice to be able to move from one posture/device to another every once and while.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2014-04-25, 15:03

With the iMac you won't feel much heat from the screen, since there is a heat shield between it and the logicboard, and the LCD itself does not get very hot, unless you run it at full brightness for extended periods of time. Unless the new machines are substantially better, Apple's control of heat via fans is somewhat poor. Apple programs the fans for quietness, not for the best performance of the machine. While the parts can tolerate heat, to insure long term use of the machine a fan controller is a good idea. The primary areas of concern are the hard drive (for those that have an HDD), GPU and the PSU. Those are parts that are nitrous for dying on iMacs, due to running hot. While these parts often run within factory tolerance you can loose performance, since modern GPU's, and CPU throttle back when running above set temperatures.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-05-19, 09:14

Update. I still haven't installed any extra RAM, but I need to. What triggered it? Lightroom. I'll start with 16extra GB, for 24 total, and then see if another bump to the full 32 is required...

My sale price copy finally arrived. Though I remain hugely suspicious of Adobe, I figured for 80 bucks, I can try this, especially if, in some post CS6 future, I no longer use photoshop.* Just don't like rental software, sorry Adobe.

I almost bought a Nikon 1 plus Aperture, but missed the fire sale. I decided I can wait on the camera, and picked up the software.

Lightroom is a bit of pig, but even though the underpinnings of the develop module are the same (2012) as Camera RAW (CS6), I think there's quite a bit of extra precision in the global and local adjustments. The brushes work much better and effects in general have a "smoother shoulder" - it's harder to overdo it than it was in Camera RAW (CS6). So, there may at least be a little reason for the laggardly reactions when loading files/plugins. Once they are loaded, or a plugin is opened, everything works responsively. I think the application loads, and keeps active, a lot of functions in order to have that responsiveness and precise math working in real time. I wonder if it hurts battery life on laptops more than a CameraRAW plus PS workflow? And I am feeding it rather large files, so...

Some of the interface is annoying. Zooming while brushing sucks, you have to click out of the brush to adjust the image magnification, and then back in to adjust the brush sizes. I'm sure my own lack of familiarity contributes to the initial frustrations, so I'm reserving judgement for now, or at least until I learn the keyboard shortcuts. I also haven't figured out why I keep creating multiple versions of images when I don't intend to, but I haven't even watched a tutorial yet, just tooled around for the last two days.

*I'm auditioning alternatives to CC.

Right now I use CS6 and it makes some plugins highly worthwhile, moreso, at this stage, than Lightroom. Nik is the primary example, which allows you to create an effect as a mask, so you can brush in the local adjustments and fine-tune the intensity and blend mode. I plan to use CS6 with Nik and some other 3rd party tools for a long time, and I hope that companies like Imagenomic, Nik/Google, DxO, and OnOne continue to make their plugins backwards compatible with CS6 for a long time. *1

I'm curious about OnOne and a few other projects to bring layers into Lightroom and how those will work...

*1. The engine that drives CC is the same as CS6. Even Adobe claims that, at the end of the term, they will provide a CS6 licence to anyone that rents CC for three years. I'm hoping that if/when they do really overhaul the engine, they provide a non-subscription "CS7" option.