AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

African Child Loves His ‘World Champion Seahawks’ T-Shirt

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
African Child Loves His ‘World Champion Seahawks’ T-Shirt
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-02-10, 15:40

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/45304

Goddamn you Onion. Damn you to hell for making me both laugh and feel terrible at the same time.

I especially laughed (and felt terrible) and the last line.
ssdd108

2006-02-10, 15:46

That's hilarious. I've also seen something like this in the Philippines a few years back.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2006-02-10, 16:17

I remember reading something by Berke Breathed (Bloom County cartoonist) saying he thought it odd to think of all the starving children in Africa wearing old Bill the Cat t-shirts.

I can see Sally Struthers on her next 'Holy Shit, The Africans are Starving' special irritatingly telling some bloated, fly-covered kid that the Seahakws didn't win the SuperBowl.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-02-10, 18:29

I read a very interesting interview once with an African politician who said that all the clothes going to Africa were killing off the local economies. What people do with those clothes is sell them (because they simply don't need so many clothes), which makes it impossible for farmers to sell their cotton locally. So they have to find other markets (where they are getting ripped off) or simply won't be able to sell. Same with food, to an extent. He basically said that reducing the aid and putting a lot more effort into directing it into the right regions/hands would be what was needed, and that once an economy started to develop in a place, all aid would have to stop. That all made a lot of sense, and put an interesting light on some of the big money-raising efforts like Life Aid/8.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-02-11, 03:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan
I can see Sally Struthers on her next 'Holy Shit, The Africans are Starving' special irritatingly telling some bloated, fly-covered kid that the Seahakws didn't win the SuperBowl.
...but the Seahawks did win the Superbowl. They were robbed!

No, I'm not in denial.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-02-12, 13:16

That last line is brutal. I liked the "disrespectful to the Eagles" part though. Too funny.