User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
G4 died
macdaddy319

Send a message via AIM to macdaddy319  
2009-01-27, 17:30

I have a '99 powermac g4 I think it's a 400mhz with 768 ram and a 12gb hd. It's been crapped out on me since thanksgiving I think, but I think it's time to either make it useful or liberate some desk space. Here's what happens when i turned it on when the problem started: I was using it and it froze, I restarted it by unplugging an replugging it. turned it on: mac sound, happy mac, white apple, blue apple image(not my desktop) and then it just spun the rainbow till I unplugged it, powerbutton non-responsive. I tried several times still same, I also tried taking out the extra hd's and all the ram and then one thing at a time as well. after doing all that i tried restarting a few times and then randomly it gave me no video output, the display automatically went to sleep so it knows its connected and i get a very loud, very staticy mac chime and everything spins up as normal. oh Im running 10.4.11 btw. I tried popping in the install disk for OSx and OS9 and nothing at all. anyone have anything like this or have an idea to fix it i appreciate it. thanks---Seth

"if a bunch of dolphins are called a pod, then what do you call a bunch of ipods?"
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2009-01-27, 21:14

With a system that old and the symptoms you described (issues all over the map), the first thing I'd suspect was the power supply...just because that's the first thing to check, really.

real hackers don't use sigs
Bill M

2009-01-27, 22:12

What about the motherboard's battery?
Have you tried pressing the CUDA reset button?
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2009-01-27, 22:21

Either PSU, or perhaps logic board / internal connections. Plugging and unplugging stuff could have affected connections.

We have one of the very early G3 laptops that does similar stuff. It will fire up for a while, and then at some point just freeze. Poor thing.

There comes a point when you need to wrap them in a soft piece of cloth and put them to sleep forever. *sniff*

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-01-28, 03:02

Its also possible, that due to age the thermal paste on the CPU is all dried up, thus leading to it overheating and locking up. I know the G4s had the thermal pad on the heatsink, but I know some also had paste. Its worth a look.