User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

It's that time of year again...recipes! Share 'em if ya got 'em!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
It's that time of year again...recipes! Share 'em if ya got 'em!
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2009-06-15, 21:50

By the marks on the side of my cooking pot it looks to be between 8 and 9 quarts. Closer to 9, I think. You could definitely do a half-batch. The only thing I wouldn't split in half is the pork gravy. At first I wasn't going to use it* (pork gravy? ick!), but omfg that shit is a revelation. Now I'm thinking of ways I can incorporate it into some of the Mexican dishes I make. I'm going to try it in a mole first, but I can think of a few things that would just be that-much-mo-betta with this stuff.

*only because I wasn't using sausage. I did a chicken/shrimp version.

So it goes.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-06-15, 22:01

Thanks for the compliments, 709! And - yeahUrite on the pork gravy. I discovered it by accident when looking for something to add a slightly-smoky pork flavor. I also use it for my Creole Red Beans and Rice.

Did you make the rice in the main pot, or in a separate one? tomoe, your 8-quarter might work if you cook the rice separately.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2009-06-15, 22:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
tomoe, your 6-quarter might work if you cook the rice separately.
T, FTFY. . I'll try scaling everything back by a quarter. Thinking of pork gravy right now is making my fuggin mouth water. Luckily there's some leftover pork shoulder in the fridge to satisfy my porcine lust...for now.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
¡Damned!

2009-06-15, 22:14

I cooked the rice separately (UB's) with a can of chicken stock, ~5 cups of water and 2 cups of Jambalaya juice (it called for ~9 cups of liquid to cook the whole box).

The only parts I slightly deviated from was doubling the garlic (of course...that's just me) and adding ~50% more parsley (I chopped what I thought was about right but ended up with a little more than was called for). Also, I pan-fried the chicken slightly to kind of seal some of the rub in. I'm not sure exactly how much Zatarain's I ended up using, basically the rub, 3 heaping TBSPs for the veggies and 3 more for the finish. It ended up being absolutely perfect for my taste, slightly spicy for my lover's. Oh, and the tri-color peppers you recommended for extra credit.

Super tasty. Thanks again.

So it goes.
Freewell

2009-06-17, 12:48

Here is one of our unanimous household favorites... Great for any time of the year, but especially, Fall, Thanksgiving, Christmas... OK... ANYTIME!!! They honestly don't even need a topping, truth be known, and we have taken to eating them plain! They are also good hot or cold, left-over or fresh off the griddle! Very versatile!

Perfect Pumpkin Pancakes:

2 cups flour
4 T sugar
4 T firmly packed (I use firmly packed and heaping!) Splenda brown sugar mix
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 12 oz. can of undiluted evaporated milk
1 15 oz. can of pumpkin
2 eggs
2 T canola oil
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground allspice
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup of pecan pieces

Combine all ingredients. Beat until smooth. Pour onto heated and lightly greased (I use organic Pam) skillet/griddle. Cook until edges are dry. Flip. Cook till golden. (Works best to cook these at a lower heat and for longer, as the heavy pumpkin content leaves them gooey in the middle if you try to rush things!) Serve with syrup, honey or jam...Though my favorite is serving them with French Vanilla Cool Whip!!!
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-12-23, 23:41

Bump to recommend what is now a new holiday tradition with my family and friends - Sausage and Leftover Turkey Jambalaya. Forget the boring turkey leftovers!

Instead of chicken in my above recipe, just use a bunch of leftover white meat turkey, shredded by hand into slivers, and stirred up with some creole seasoning before you toss it in the big pot. This makes it easier and faster than the regular recipe!

Yeah, I did this on the day after Thanksgiving, and it went over in a big way - I'd be in huuuuuuuge trouble if I wasn't willing to do it again next year. Give it a try with your Christmas Turkey leftovers!
Hassan i Sabbah

2010-01-04, 11:04

This is an hilarious blog. With recipes in it. The chef claims he cooked for Lee Marvin. I don't believe him.

http://lagrandebouffecatering.blogspot.com/

But the food is awesome.

gibberish
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-01-04, 11:26

Thanks for bumping the thread! I have my own recipe to add to the mix.

Quote:
No-knead bread

Adapted from Jim Lahey, Sullivan Street Bakery

Time: About 1½ hours plus 14 to 20 hours’ rising

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
¼ teaspoon instant yeast
1¼ teaspoons salt
Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed.

1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be
shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at
warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.

2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on
it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap
and let rest about 15 minutes.

3. Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly
shape dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal;
put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton
towel and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not
readily spring back when poked with a finger.

4. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot
(cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from
oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but
that is O.K. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover
with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully
browned. Cool on a rack.
I made this a few days ago and it is awesome. Very forgiving as well. I'd never baked bread before but it worked out great. I didn't have a cotton towel so I used a clean t-shirt instead and it worked. The prep time is very short, it's just the time you have to set aside to let it rise.

Best served on a plate with olive oil, salt, pepper, and maybe a little grated parmesano reggiano.
murbot
Hoonigan

2010-03-25, 14:57

Not really much of a recipe, but I thought I'd share my lunch today. It was THAT good.

I've been reducing carbs a ton, eating more fats and meat (caveman diet, primal blueprint stuff, etc). This is a sweet way to eat an avocado, let me tell ya.

Just slice up an avocado, put a bit of mayo (mine is homemade with olive oil, egg, lemon juice, mustard) down on a big leaf of lettuce sleeping bag, and lay a couple of nice pieces of bacon down to bed. Wrap it up and try not to look too savage as you uncontrollably ram it down your throat. Good GOD this is delicious. Oh, I also took the picture before I covered this in pepper.

Also I made mashed (like, mashed the hell out of, then again for good measure) cauliflower last night for supper to have with chicken. Put some butter on there, salt and pepper, a smidgen of shredded cheddar... potatoes can officially kiss my ass. They were great! I even had my daughters cleaning their plates (after refusing to even try it for the first 5 minutes).

Anyway, those are my easy-as-pie, not-really-recipe contributions.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2010-03-25, 15:29

Mmm... yes, the sandwich shop by work has this spectacular turkey, avocado, bacon, roasted red pepper and lettuce sandwich with pesto mayonnaise. It's absolute bliss.

Bacon and avocado are just amazing together. Add the roasted red pepper and pesto and it doesn't matter what else is along for the ride.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-06-23, 14:53

Best Cauliflower Cheese Ever

Ingredients
1 Cauliflower
1 pint Milk
2 tablespoons Butter
2 tablespoons Plain White Flour
225g Medium Cheddar
100g Piave Vecchio
2 teaspoons English Mustard Powder
Salt

Method
Chop the cauliflower into florets, about 2" in diameter. Boil salted water in a pan and once boiling, add the cauliflower. Boil for 5-10 minutes, making sure the cauliflower still has some "bite" when you take it off.

Preheat the oven to 200C

Meanwhile, make a white roux. You do know how to do that, right? OK, well, my method is: melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat. Once melted, remove from the heat, (turn the heat down to low, not off - you'll need it again) and slowly stir in the flour. It should form a paste, thick enough to come away from the sides of the pan when you stir it. Add about half a cup of milk and stir until the paste has entirely "dissolved" into the milk. Then put back on the heat (now on low) and gradually add the rest of the milk. Now - I use a whisk here to stir the milk in - in helps with keeping the sauce smooth. Don't actually whisk it, but stir with a whisk. Gradually the mixture will start to heat up. It'll still look too runny at this point - that's ok. That's the roux made.

Grate the Piave and Cheddar. Mix 200g of the grated Cheddar and the Piave together. Then start gradually adding cheese to the roux once it's hot. Keep stirring with that whisk! Don't stop. It'll go lumpy for sure if you stop. Let each handful of cheese melt entirely before adding more. The roux will start to thicken. Once all the cheese is in, add the mustard powder.

Drain the cauliflower and put it in a oven dish. Pour the cheese sauce over the top, making sure it coats all the cauliflower. Then sprinkle that last 25g of grated cheddar over the top and throw it in the oven. Bake at 200C for about 20 minutes or until the top is nicely browned.

Serve with...well, anything you like. or just eat this, Veggie-types.

Last edited by Bryson : 2010-06-23 at 15:05.
iFerret

Send a message via MSN to iFerret Send a message via Skype™ to iFerret 
2010-06-25, 08:46

This dish isn't really anything... it doesn't come from any particular origin, doesn't have a history to speak of, doesn't mean anything, isn't traditional etc. But it tastes soooo good. Like, really good. And I don't even like soup.

Curry Kumara/Sweet Potato Soup

Category: Entree or Main. We have it as a main. It's soup.
Prep time: 10-20 minutes.
Cooking time: 10-20 minutes. (Can have a batch done in 20 mins, including prep).
Ingredients:
4 or so decent sized kumara (also known as sweet potato)
2 teaspoons curry powder
2 tablespoons butter
3 or 4 cloves of garlic, crushed or chopped
300 mls of cream
milk to thin
1 cup of water (approx)
bacon (garnish)
bread rolls/garlic bread (side)

Peel the kumara/sweet potatoes and chop into rough cubes. Set aside. Put your butter in a large pot and melt it up. Add the curry powder and garlic and stir it around a bit. Add the kumara/sweet potatoes. Fry them in the butter and stir them round until they're soft and golden. Add the water and leave it to simmer until the kumara/sweet potatoes are soft and mashable. Mash or blend the kumara until they're thick and gluggy. Add the cream and mix it in. Add milk and mix or blend it in until it's about the right consistency for soup (up to you). Leave the soup to heat through.

Chop the bacon up into small-ish pieces and fry it. If there's two of us cooking, we like to start the bacon at the same time as the soup. If there's just one, I do the soup and then do the bacon. Serve the bacon pieces on top of the soup as a garnish.

You can toast the rolls or do whatever. We like ours toasted with garlic butter on. Yummy!

Serve the whole lot together. This soup is warming and tasty and is quite good winter comfort food. Although you could eat it any time. I don't generally go for soups, but I can polish off three or so bowls in a row of this.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2010-07-03, 16:53

Speaking of bacon.... just in time for your July 4th BBQ....

I present the Beef-Filled Bacon and Hot Dog Turtle

Ingredients Per Turtle:

- 3 all-beef franks
- 1/2 pound of bacon
- ground beef

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-07-03, 17:00

*dies*

Edit: And I'm not a vegetarian now, so save it, okay? That just looks...unappetizing.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2010-07-04, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
*dies*

Edit: And I'm not a vegetarian now, so save it, okay? That just looks...unappetizing.
I haven't tried it personally... but there's no chance than anything with that much BACON could ever be "unappetizing".
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-07-04, 11:31

I'm lukewarm on all that beef. It should be more cheesy. The turtles need tweaking.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-07-04, 12:44

Somewhere out there, there's probably a bacon-wrapped hot dog and beef-filled turtle eating contest going on today.
murbot
Hoonigan

2010-09-14, 18:51

Jesus these are good scrambled eggs... just had them with some bacon for supper.

Gordon Ramsay's Perfect Scrambled Eggs Breakfast
AWR
Veteran Member

2010-09-15, 02:05

Using 12 alligator eggs no doubt, and bacon cuts a la The Flintstones.

AWR
Veteran Member

2010-12-16, 02:20

Some easy and delicious sounding pasta recipes here:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/1...=me&ref=health

Although I know the trend (especially at AN!!) is moving from pasta, it remains a staple in my diet.

A snippet from the article, et bon appetite.

Quote:
Here are five new ways to enjoy pasta:

Pasta With Roasted Red Peppers and Goat Cheese: Elegant pastas can be made from the simplest of ingredients.

Pasta With Tomatoes, Capers, Olives and Bread Crumbs: Bread crumbs, crisped in olive oil with garlic, make a wonderful addition to this pasta.

Pasta With Tomatoes and Beans: Beans contribute protein to this pasta, which makes a great vegan dish if you serve it without the cheese.

Spaghetti With Walnuts and Anchovies: Fresh walnuts make this delicious pasta even better.

Pasta With Fresh Herbs, Lemon and Peas: This pasta’s flavor depends on common herbs found in any well-stocked kitchen.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-12-16, 02:47

One of my favorite winter recipes...

Hot buttered rum batter:
1 1/2 gal rich vanilla ice cream
1 lb butter
1 lb brown sugar

Soften the ice cream until you can stir it. Bring the butter to room temperature. Fold all three ingredients until smooth. Refreeze.

Take a heaping tablespoon, plop in a mug, add enough rum to go blind, and top off with boiling water. Spice to taste with nutmeg. The boiling water + frozen lump = perfect immediate drinking temp.

Yeah, it's simple, direct, and oh so damned good.