Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT Card Pictures

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT Card Pictures
loebjack

Send a message via AIM to loebjack  
2005-12-06, 19:20

We got in the Apple OEM NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT Cards today. Here are some pictures. It looks like the card is just a modified ASUS card with different firmware and a card extender.

http://powermax.download-files.net/n...orce_7800.html

Jacob Loeb
Ask Jacob
Articles
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2005-12-06, 19:47

oooooooooooo, silver and blue
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-12-06, 20:41

I wonder how long it'll be before someone manages to flash one of these cards with an Apple firmware? If that's really the only difference then it shouldn't be too incredibly hard. Jury-rigging some kind of bracket to hold the card in place should be pretty easy too.

Since this card is using the nVidia reference design, maybe it would even be possible to flash any other GeForce 7800GT that uses the same exact layout.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2005-12-07, 02:10

Unless it says "ASUS" on there (small pics, couldn't see), it's just the nVIDIA reference design I'm afraid...
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2005-12-07, 18:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
I wonder how long it'll be before someone manages to flash one of these cards with an Apple firmware? If that's really the only difference then it shouldn't be too incredibly hard. Jury-rigging some kind of bracket to hold the card in place should be pretty easy too.

Since this card is using the nVidia reference design, maybe it would even be possible to flash any other GeForce 7800GT that uses the same exact layout.
Did I miss something? It came out of an apple, why would you need to flash apple firmaware on it? it already has it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2005-12-07, 18:54

He is saying for those who bought their new G5s with lower end cards, they could buy a cheap PCI-e PC GeForce 7800GT and flash Mac ROMs on to it to save some cash.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-12-07, 19:49

Cheap of course being a relative term; PC GeForce 7800GTs cost about $300. That IS less than the $400 upgrade price for the Apple card, but you also have to remember that... well, the Apple version not only has dual-link DVI (a feature absent from nearly all PC video cards) but it also is in very short supply and of course it's Mac compatible, which commands a slight premium on its own.

The main reason you'd want to flash a PC 7800GT isn't to save money but to save time. If you do it successfully you can get a PowerMac with a 7800GT right away instead of having to wait weeks or months for one to ship. If you have the money and the time, you may as well just buy it from Apple since it's guaranteed to work and to be supported.
jabbajon

2005-12-08, 02:58

Tomshardware has an article (can't find it right now) comparing nvida cards. Looks like the reference design (which most manufacturers including Apple are using) of the 7800gt gives off quite a bit of noise. And my quad with 6600 is not that quiet. However the HD is so loud that it may drown out the 7800 Why oh why did they ship the quad with the Maxtor 250g...

Last edited by jabbajon : 2005-12-08 at 03:14.
argonaut

2005-12-08, 04:17

Hehe, I just received my Quad G5 + 7800GT yesterday evening and I felt I had to try out a timedemo on my old fave Quake 3 Arena..
My current screen only supports 1280x1024 (getting a Dell 2405fp this friday )

So... I maxed ALL settings and used the 1.32b G4 Altivec version with "demo four".. nearly fell of my chair..

1260 frames in 2.4 seconds = 535 fps

I know Quake is old hat now, but I don't have any newer games.. any good recommendations that will test the Quad & the 7800GT ??
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2005-12-08, 07:19

So apart from gaming, what task requires such a mother-f*** graphics card?

I must say it looks nice, though.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-12-08, 09:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbajon
Why oh why did they ship the quad with the Maxtor 250g...
Because it's cheap and/or Apple has a deal with Maxtor? I agree that Maxtor sucks, yet Apple's been using them since before Maxtor bought Quantum (which sucked even more). I have nightmares about old G3 iMacs that used Quantum Fireball hard drives.

Seagate, Samsumg, hell, even Western Digital or Hitachi would have been better. Anything but Maxtor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge
So apart from gaming, what task requires such a mother-f*** graphics card?

I must say it looks nice, though.
3D rendering apps and special effects apps like Motion use it. Contrary to what some believe, video editing (Final Cut Pro) does not care what graphics card you have.
loebjack

2005-12-08, 12:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonzie
Unless it says "ASUS" on there (small pics, couldn't see), it's just the nVIDIA reference design I'm afraid...
I just added pictures of the "ASUS" mark on the card. Its on the same page.
http://powermax.download-files.net/n...orce_7800.html
beeej2000

2005-12-24, 01:28

Hey LoebJack and everyone else:
Do you think outlets (like PowerMax or the Mac Store) will be selling the 7800 as a standalone product at any time in the near future? I'm new to the mac-video-card game ... How often do they update their cards? I'm rambling, so I'll be more precise:
Two questions (1) Do you think the 7800GT will be available as a standalone and (2) do you think there will be any new video card offerings in the next year?

Thanks!!
DeadMan

Send a message via MSN to DeadMan  
2005-12-24, 07:03

asus's products are unreasonablly expensive in Asia, and i don't know why~~~~Will Mac use ATI'S Cross Fire?
EDS66

2005-12-24, 10:49

I just got the Quad with 3 GB of RAM and the 7800 GT. The tiny fan on the video card generates a lot of rather high frequency (the kind I can't stand) noise. It is designed to spin up to its maximum speed when in 3D mode. When that happens, the noise is simply not tolerable. Actually, I don't think it's even tolerable in the 2-D mode. I could not hear myself think. Even my Quick Silver, which sits right next to the G5 was drowned out by the noise.

The first thing I did was to get the NVSilencer 5 (rev 3, which is designed to be compatible with the 7800 series cards) and installed it. Takes about 20 minutes to install. There is simply no noise now. The new fan/sink will require a sacrifice of one of the PCI slots -- the one right above the video card, obviously -- but it is well worth it. Additionally, this cooling solution exhausts air out of the Mac rather than re-circulating it inside; also a big plus. When playing 3-D games like Unreal, the card is maybe a couple of decibels noisier, but it does not matter, really, because the chassis fans kick in anyway.

I got my NV5Silencer at the local Microcenter for $40, but on the Internet it can be found for less. I just could not wait. There are other cooling Solutions out there, most notably the Zalman VF700 and I believe all will eat two PCI slots, but I liked NV5 because it blows hot air out of the computer.

Hope this helps some of you.
EDS66

2005-12-24, 10:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by argonaut
Hehe, I just received my Quad G5 + 7800GT yesterday evening and I felt I had to try out a timedemo on my old fave Quake 3 Arena..

So... I maxed ALL settings and used the 1.32b G4 Altivec version with "demo four".. nearly fell of my chair..

I know Quake is old hat now, but I don't have any newer games.. any good recommendations that will test the Quad & the 7800GT ??
Unreal Tournament 2004 is a good one. Free Demo download. I think Doom 3 is out for the Mac. Barefeats tested it on the Quad/7800 at 1920 by 1200, and the results were pretty unbelievable. In fact, I still don't believe them, but I don't have Doom 3. Buy it and try it.
admactanium

2005-12-24, 14:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS66
Unreal Tournament 2004 is a good one. Free Demo download. I think Doom 3 is out for the Mac. Barefeats tested it on the Quad/7800 at 1920 by 1200, and the results were pretty unbelievable. In fact, I still don't believe them, but I don't have Doom 3. Buy it and try it.
those barefeats results were mine. all i know is that the demo's really haul ass. the botmatch almost gave me a seizure watching it.
loebjack

2005-12-25, 12:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeej2000
Hey LoebJack and everyone else:
Do you think outlets (like PowerMax or the Mac Store) will be selling the 7800 as a standalone product at any time in the near future? I'm new to the mac-video-card game ... How often do they update their cards? I'm rambling, so I'll be more precise:
Two questions (1) Do you think the 7800GT will be available as a standalone and (2) do you think there will be any new video card offerings in the next year?

Thanks!!
Yes to both. We are told that we will get 7800GT cards soon but video cards are always updating faster than computers, so expect to see better cards in the new year.

Jacob Loeb
Ask Jacob
Articles
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-12-25, 14:26

Holy crap! No video card has a right to be that big... I don't care how many FPS you get.
motivio

2006-01-27, 17:22

Any news on the separate Geforce 7800 graphic cards for the G5 with PCIe?

JO
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-01-27, 17:39

mmmm, WoW........
Wrao
Yarp

2006-01-27, 18:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by argonaut

Somebody refresh my memory. Wasn't getting 300-400 FPS(at lower res?) in Quake 3 a huge friggin deal in the PC world a couple years ago ? Have we really come that far?
starcat102

2006-02-11, 07:02

7800GT won't sell standalone without a new Powermac. Reason is short supply Apple has bought.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2006-02-11, 07:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Because it's cheap and/or Apple has a deal with Maxtor? I agree that Maxtor sucks, yet Apple's been using them since before Maxtor bought Quantum (which sucked even more). I have nightmares about old G3 iMacs that used Quantum Fireball hard drives.

Seagate, Samsumg, hell, even Western Digital or Hitachi would have been better. Anything but Maxtor!

Actually thank god they are using Maxtor. They used to use IBM/Hitatchi drives with the quicksilver and graphite macs and we had 3 of the drives fail at our agency. All died the infamous clicking sound death. We have been using Maxtor ever since with no issues.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-02-11, 08:38

Everyone has differing opinions about which hard drive manufacturers are good and which are bad, and they're based on incomplete, anecdotal information. I would say that the main hard drive brands today (Seagate, Western Digital, Maxtor, Hitachi, Samsung) are all pretty good. Your experience with IBM/Hitachi drives was, guess what, back when IBM still made hard drives. They sold their drive division to Hitachi years ago and if you're talking about Quicksilver PowerMacs, then that's at least four years ago. You really can't say much about Hitachi's quality based on a few anecdotes from years ago before a total restructuring of the company.

I really shouldn't even say that Maxtor sucks. What I will say is that my Maxtor hard drive has developed bad sectors within less than a year of purchase, while all the Hitachi, Seagate, and Western Digital hard drives I've bought have remained in excellent shape for years. I had not bought a Maxtor until this one and it is not doing a very good job of winning my faith in the brand, though I will admit that I really have no legitimate basis for an opinion of which drives are good and which ones aren't.