MC: AppleNova Minecraft server upgrades & maintenance

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: AppleNova Minecraft server upgrades & maintenance
Page 12 of 12 First Previous 8 9 10 11 [12]  Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-08-17, 21:19

I finally got power back. Just after 2200 it was restored. VM just powered back up so you should be able to check on your starving avatar now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-09-06, 14:03

I just got a brand new Evo 860 1TB in today. This is going into the ESXi host that runs our world's VM. I'm not sure exactly when I'll be taking the system down to install and migrate to VMs to the new drive but I wanted to give an early notice. It will likely be this weekend though possibly tomorrow during my work day.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-09-07, 19:06

Server is going down now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-09-07, 20:18

It is back alive again. It is still on the aging Intel G2 for now, so I'm going to have to shutdown the VM again at some point to migrate it to the new datastore. I just didn't want to keep at this all night since I had a late start.

While I had the ESXi host down putting the new drive in I also updated the BIOS to power on after AC restore. This means it will automatically boot up after we lose power.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-09-08, 10:25

It is taking forever to move servers within the ESXi host. I'm guessing there is some massive error checking that ESXi uses and it makes migrating take hours for a 5GB file load. Our MC server is something closer to 60GB now.

My plan is to start the move of the server tomorrow night/late evening. Of course the server will be down during the time of the move. Then hopefully it will finish overnight and first thing Monday morning I'll be able to get it started again on the new SSD.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-09-08, 21:07

Ok, I looked through the logs and no one is playing on the weekends right now. Most of the play actually happens during the work day. Given this and how long some of these machines have taken to migrate datastore I'm going to bring the MC server down now and start the migration. It should be up later tomorrow.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-09-09, 13:08

The migration is taking longer than I expected because I also started migrating the MapGen server as well. The files have actually moved for the ANMC world but the system is bogged down so much right now that I can't register the VM and start it again. The MapGen VM is only 28% done. I'll update once it's done and ANMC is back online.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-09-10, 07:25

The MapGen VM is only 90% done and I've not been able to get the ANMC VM registered yet. Still going...
Damned

2018-09-10, 12:11

I don't quite know what you're doing, but thanks for doing it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-09-10, 14:13

It's back up BTW. I completely forgot to post that this morning when I got it going again.

Glad to help! I hope it is stable on the new SSD. I haven't been able to play yet.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-09-12, 09:14

As most I'm sure are aware there is a big storm heading my way. I think Brad will be hit harder by it than I will, but it is expected to flood this place out. I'm expected to be fine, just limited travel around here.

The relevance is that I'll be bringing the server offline if we lose power immediately. I will need to conserve my battery backups and sadly the MC server just isn't a priority. It isn't expected to impact here until tomorrow early morning last I saw so we will see how that goes.

Damned

2018-09-12, 11:54

Kind've expected to have some server downtime with Flo on the move. Stay safe out there!
kscherer
Ain't got none

2018-09-12, 14:02

MC is not as important as Turtle security, so do what you must to take care of you and the family.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-09-12, 14:05

Thanks guys. It looks like I'm in even better shape now. Forecast track has it heading south. All we will likely get is some patchy storms and normal windy weather (as opposed to tropical speeds). We shall see! I have a small generator ready to keep my freezers and refrigerators cold!

kscherer
Ain't got none

2018-09-12, 14:22

Maybe we could download one of those mods for CC and have us a hurricane in the harbor!