Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Apple activates Ringtones feature

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple activates Ringtones feature
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-11, 10:09

Was looking into my purchase library, and it's the weirdest mix of songs that are available for ringtone usage.

Some old live Emmylou song from a 1980(?) live album, Rod Stewart's "Young Turks", Canned Heat's "Going Up The Country", an old Dave Edmunds(!) song that wasn't even anything close to a known, hit song, etc.

Fortunately, Buck Owens' "Buckaroo" is among them...

Hmm, that might make a neat little song to answer the phone to. Then again, I'm not a huge fan of this stuff (can't stand hearing songs/music all around me when others are getting phone calls). Maybe I'll just be good and not add to the clutter and noise...

For those of you who don't mind that, the service is now up and running!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2007-09-11 at 10:24.
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2007-09-11, 10:13

I can't bring myself to purchase a ringtone. They really should be free. The only way I'd use this service is if the controls were awesome.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-09-11, 10:16

Moreover, the iTunes search field now autocompletes while in the store:

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-09-11, 10:18

I played with the ringtone creation earlier today. I didn't purchase anything but the system is pretty simple and cool. I can see Apple making a great deal of money from lazy people because of how easy it all is.

Moreover, you can now manage your ringtones in the library. That means all of us that created our own can now add and delete them a lot easier.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-09-11, 10:39

Finally, I can listen to Classical Gas all the time!

It appears to be a lot of indie publishers, with some major artists thrown in. I noticed that some stuff is explicitly *not* available, that is, a lot of that artist's stuff is, but a hit song from them won't be. The case in point is Dirty Vegas, which has most of their music available to become ringtones, except their one big club hit "I Should Know" is skipped over.

Last edited by BuonRotto : 2007-09-11 at 14:20. Reason: duh, working across my pc and Mac, I control-v'ed the URL!
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-09-11, 11:11

BR, you forgot to hold Cmd when pasting that URL.

I have to say I also like the "Best of the Store" feature. It's a quick way to listen to a variety of music, and I've discovered one or two interesting bands. It's not all great, and sometimes most of it is rather bad, but it's always worth checking out. And also that they finally have Kosheen in the American store.
rasmits
rams it

2007-09-11, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
The case in point is Dirty Vegas, which has most of their music available to become ringtones, except their one big club hit "I Should Know" is skipped over.
Especially weird considering that song is available in iTunes Plus sans DRM...
dfiler
Veteran Member

2007-09-11, 12:37

Many times artists will sign over only certain distribution rights, specifically prohibiting use in commercials and theme songs. If I had enough pull with the labels when inking a contract, the contract would also prohibit distribution of ringtones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirnick4 View Post
I can't bring myself to purchase a ringtone. They really should be free. The only way I'd use this service is if the controls were awesome.
Yeah, why would anyone possibly waste 0.2475% of the iPhone's price on making it have a cool ringtone?

(previously 0.165% of the iPod's cost)

Last edited by dfiler : 2007-09-11 at 13:02. Reason: (10^2 percentage corrections)
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-09-11, 13:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
Yeah, why would anyone possibly waste 0.002475% of the iPhone's price on making it have a cool ringtone?

(previously 0.00165% of the iPod's cost)
While I agree with you in principle, you made the common off-by-a-factor-of-100-error there. It's .2475%, and then only from the old $599 price of the iPhone. But your point still stands, of course.
dfiler
Veteran Member

2007-09-11, 13:01

Is it bad that I have a degree in math and still made that error?
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-09-11, 13:05

Oh no, too much information! Too much information!

My father kept bugging me about numbers all the time, he would always have me estimate how big something was, how much it might weigh, etc. I guess from that I got a sense of numbers and can tell when something is off by two orders of magnitude.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2007-09-11, 13:10

So in my library I can convert most of the songs from The Decemberist's The Crane Wife into ringtones, but on the iTMS it doesn't have a little bell next to any of the songs...

??????
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2007-09-11, 14:22

Yeah, I noticed that about Classical Gas. Do a search in iTunes, and you won't find one that lets you convert it to a ringtone. However, if you dig into the artist's catalog (Mason Williams), it's staring right at you. I'm too bust right now to get to the bottom of it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-09-11, 15:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKrzyzewski View Post
So in my library I can convert most of the songs from The Decemberist's The Crane Wife into ringtones, but on the iTMS it doesn't have a little bell next to any of the songs...

??????
Please don't sully the greatness that is that album with a ringtone made out of one of the songs. Ruin crap songs with ringtone status.
¡Damned!

2007-09-11, 15:39

Samwell isn't even available on iTunes.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2007-09-11, 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Please don't sully the greatness that is that album with a ringtone made out of one of the songs. Ruin crap songs with ringtone status.
Don't worry, I wasn't. I was just starting out by searching itunes for my favorite songs and going from there. still haven't decided on a good ringtone song.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-11, 22:25

Yeah, run all your ringtone choices past torifile first, jackballs!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-09-12, 00:27

I like the ringtone I have on my Ocean, because it's not really a ringtone.

It's the sound Solid Snake's codec makes when you get a call in Metal Gear Solid.

It's subtle and it sounds like a ring, but it still lets me "express myself" or whatever without blasting music everywhere.

That said, "Move Your Feet" by Junior Senior makes the best ringtone. Ever.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
rasmits
rams it

2007-09-12, 04:30

By far the most annoying ring tone I've heard was Eric Prydz "Call on Me".

That relationship didn't last long and I'm tempted to blame that ring tone...

You had me at asl
surjones

2007-09-12, 08:32

I am sure S.J. knows about that Hack that allows you to create your own ringtones. Given you have to always Re-Auth the phone once you make a change, but I would think 30mins is better than paying 1.00 of our hard earned money, which ends of getting taxed, so basically 70cents, then minus a 30cents from your next hard earned taxed 70cents. LOL - Why dont people just do the hack?
(BTW-I dont have an iPhone, but this from what I have read about the iPhone rington hacks )
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-09-12, 08:34

Yeah, clearly 30 minutes of my time is not worth $1.
surjones

2007-09-12, 08:38

LOL- your only worth something when what you are doing generates actual revenue But also in the 30mis, I am assuming that you can actually produce quite a few ringtones with the hack, and I am sure the first time you do it takes that long, but once you become a "hack certified" it should take you a lot less - LOL

And more so, if anyone does actually buy a ringtone, chances are they will spend a quick 30bucks.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2007-09-13, 23:27

I only wish there were more karaoke albums in the iTunes Store, and that we could convert them into ringtones.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-09-14, 00:21

I love Gruber's take on the whole thing, particularly that with one hand the RIAA are trying to ensure *we* must pay for ring tones, but with the other that they should not have to pay the artists for them! Hilarious.

For me, on every phone I ever own, I only have one ring tone.. and that's the ringing sound from Matrix.
Best ring tone evah!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt