AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

iOS dash cam apps?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iOS dash cam apps?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2015-10-30, 10:54

Anyone have one? How well do they work? Does it function if you're using another app. like GPS software?

I'd like to get something but the reviews I've read of exsiting products aren't very positive, or they all mention the apps. can only record as the active app, not in the background.

If I had a dash cam, I'd want it to function while the GPS/maps apps are running in the foreground.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2015-10-31, 12:38

I think you'd be far happier with a stand alone dash camera for several reasons.

1. Always in the car and ready to go as soon as you start the car. No thinking involved. It would be far too easy to forget to mount and turn on the phone dash camera app, have an incident and have no evidence.
2. Size. The iPhone mounted for dash cam use is kind of obvious, while the smaller standalone units are much easier to hide. Out of sight out of mind!
3. Unless you have a 64GB-128GB smartphone, it would fill up with clips fast. I have a stand alone unit (1080p 30FPS recording) with a 32GB card and that fills every 5-6 hours. For longer trips with the stand alone you can just grab another micro SD card and keep going. Loop recording deals with the issue, but unless you remember to lock/save clips on the go, you might loose them. For short trips the iPhone might be okay, but for anything else not so much.
4. None of the dash camera apps I've read about will run in the background, other than with phone calls.
5. Keeps your phone free for GPS, music etc.
6. Overheating issues. Most of the iPhone users that I know that tried an app found it would cause their phones to overheat on hot summer days, which was a bit of a problem. Many of them have since purchased stand alone units.
¡Damned!

2015-10-31, 14:23

Agreed wrt the stand-alone. I spent some time a few months ago thinking I could turn my old iPhone into a dashcam, and nothing came to fruition. Apps are bad, recording space is bad, remote connectivity is bad, blah blah.

I thought it would be fun, if only for a 'neat!, really?' factor, but no. Too much hassle.

So it goes.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2015-11-02, 10:38

Huh, well at least that's confirming what I saw when reading on reviews. Lots of down sides, not a lot of up side.