AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Home theatre video nerds advice...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Home theatre video nerds advice...
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-11-22, 10:57

OK, so I'm finally furnishing a basement space for home theatre (for me and the missus) and gaming (for the kiddos).

The finished ceiling height is 7'8", and viewing distance will be about 9.5 feet (eyeballs to screen).

The space available allows for a 75"-77" TV, with more or less acceptable viewing height and a little space around the frame, and falling neatly between 30 and 40 degree viewing angle guidelines, probably about 32 degrees from the best seat when all install details are finished. Seating area is about 10-12 feet across (tight to the back wall.)

An 83-85" would also fit, but with very little breathing room around, and maybe pushing the screen a bit too close to the (flat white) ceiling. If the space were solely home theatre, I'd paint the ceiling a dark grey and not worry about it, but it's important to have the space for other uses too.

We're both film nerds and still have a lot of DVD, BRD, UHD Bluray. Pre kiddos we did geeky things like go to screenings/festivals, etc... A lot of that is out of the question now, so in part I want to create the most theatre like experience I can within the decor and physical restrictions described. If we get to watch it, then my gut says 77" OLED, and a carefully set-up bias light. If the kiddos basically take over for gaming, then maybe a mid level LCD choice makes more sense.

Any suggestions?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-11-22, 11:24

I'm in on this one too. I have a space I want to "convert" to a media room in my basement. Right now it has a 55" $300 Black Friday deal (from a few years ago) TV in there. It doesn't fit the bill.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2023-11-22, 15:08

Right now I think Sony has some of the best sets, but you’ll pay more than you would for a Samsung or LG. I cannot recall model number and such right now, that’s just what I recall from watching reviews a few months back when the 2024 models started coming out. I was looking since I’m still rocking a 43” 2013 LG 1080p set, but I just wish there was none of the smart crap, which you cannot avoid.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-11-22, 15:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Right now I think Sony has some of the best sets, but you’ll pay more than you would for a Samsung or LG. I cannot recall model number and such right now, that’s just what I recall from watching reviews a few months back when the 2024 models started coming out. I was looking since I’m still rocking a 43” 2013 LG 1080p set, but I just wish there was none of the smart crap, which you cannot avoid.
Yeah. The only way I avoid the smart crap is just never connect it to the network at the house. I get that this is how the manufactures subsidize the cost of the display but I would rather not even have it connected. The mentioned TV in my media room is a Google App one and it never got connected and never will. At one point my Samsungs were but they aren't now. I also blackholed most of the DNS requests from the TV when I did have it connected.

I'll look at the Sony TVs. I've been happy with my Samsungs so far and they were my best deal back when I got them from the base exchange.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-11-22, 17:05

Over here 77” OLEDs from any of Samsung LG or Sony are basically the same price for their premium model one step down from the flagship. Performance looks pretty similar too.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-11-23, 09:13

We went with the 77" OLED C3 in our basement setup. I have an AppleTV hooked up, hardwired, and for our surround sound, I went with a Sonos Arc + 2 Eras 100 + Sub. The sound is pretty awesome tbh. I had a 7.2.1 Dolby in-ceiling at my last house but didn't feel like going through all the hassle of setting all that up again. Sonos is so easy and wireless. If you're not a complete anal audiophile, they are great.

Check Costco for the TVs and Sonos if you go that route. The money back + extended warranty they give make it worth it alone.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-11-23, 10:09

The C3 is on my short list - probably the one I'm going to pick up. For sound, I might do the Sony HT-A9 instead of the Sonos, but it just sort of depends. In favor of Sonos - we have them throughout the house already and set-up/reliability is rock solid. Against? Our space is not perfectly conducive to a centre channel/soundbar arrangement. It can work, but would require lifting the TV up maybe a little too high based on the constraints of the space I'm using. HT-A9 uses no centre channel, but doesn't appear to suffer from it, especially if you take a little care with the L-R placement.

It would be great if Sonos could offer a new (AV-centric) hub/port that let us simply run a couple of Era300s as L&R with no soundbar needed. Or maybe a really thin soundbar? Under 2"?

Last edited by Matsu : 2023-11-23 at 10:21.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-11-23, 16:57

Is the Beam to thick? I know it is about 3" but that isn't hideous. Also, what about mounting the bar above your TV? We did that in our basement room with our Playbar. It does well even though it is over the TV.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-11-23, 19:14

Is there a TV out there that allows you to have four different "screens" in your one big screen? So like I have 4 HDMI inputs and one quadrant be one input and the second be the second and so on. The idea being my kids can play different consoles or have different sports events on different sections. It used to be a big thing to do PIP but I'm not seeing that mentioned much anymore.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2023-11-23, 20:22

I know some of the desktop computer screens still advertise that, but haven't seen it much on TVs, usually it's through the cable/satellite boxes now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-11-23, 21:15

Hmmmm... wonder if there is a separate box that I can plug in to do that? Now I'm curious. I know the big "problem" would be audio, but if headsets are used it wouldn't be a problem.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-11-24, 07:22

I imagine there’s probably something that custom installers use. I feel like I’ve seen this in more than one sports bar where they’d tile screens into one large screen and then have them play as a whole at times but also as segments (or virtual screens) that didn’t simply correspond to the individual physical screens.

My guess is it’s probably a custom box that puts everything through one single output to the TV, to effectively become one source, and deals with multiple inputs on the device side (in order to create the virtual monitors.) I bet most of our TVs can’t actually play multiple sources simultaneously.

Last edited by Matsu : 2023-11-24 at 07:34.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-11-24, 10:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Is there a TV out there that allows you to have four different "screens" in your one big screen? So like I have 4 HDMI inputs and one quadrant be one input and the second be the second and so on. The idea being my kids can play different consoles or have different sports events on different sections. It used to be a big thing to do PIP but I'm not seeing that mentioned much anymore.
I know a few of the streaming apps do this. I believe YouTube TV can do 4 screen split. The ESPN app allows you do split up your screen to watching 2 to 4+ games at once.

@yontsey
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-11-24, 10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
The C3 is on my short list - probably the one I'm going to pick up. For sound, I might do the Sony HT-A9 instead of the Sonos, but it just sort of depends. In favor of Sonos - we have them throughout the house already and set-up/reliability is rock solid. Against? Our space is not perfectly conducive to a centre channel/soundbar arrangement. It can work, but would require lifting the TV up maybe a little too high based on the constraints of the space I'm using. HT-A9 uses no centre channel, but doesn't appear to suffer from it, especially if you take a little care with the L-R placement.

It would be great if Sonos could offer a new (AV-centric) hub/port that let us simply run a couple of Era300s as L&R with no soundbar needed. Or maybe a really thin soundbar? Under 2"?
I have these under all our tvs for our Sonos sound bars. Arc in the basement for the main tv, Beam under the other 3 tvs. They work great. Very low profile, especially the Beams. Easily lets you raise and lower them with a pull of a handle release on the back.

@yontsey
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-11-24, 15:48

I just picked up a 77" C3, and between new credit card incentives (a couple of weeks ago I registered for one with $600 cash back, with this specific purchase in mind) and Costco sale prices, saved $930 CAD off the MSRP.

Now I have to work out a low profile wall mount that keeps it tight to the wall. All the meat of the TV is in the lower half, where the VESA mount is. Mounting directly to that will have it sit at least another 1-2" from the wall. No bueno.

Need something like a 1/8" Aluminium plate vesa mount with flush head screws that extends above the thick lower section of the TV. From there its easy to reverse some regular "flush mount" rails onto it to use up the 1.5" of dead space behind the thin panel and just hang it on a cleat.

Last edited by Matsu : 2023-11-24 at 21:19.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-11-24, 21:34

I wish this was like discord and I could easily show you pictures of my setup
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-11-24, 21:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
I just picked up a 77" C3, and between new credit card incentives (a couple of weeks ago I registered for one with $600 cash back, with this specific purchase in mind) and Costco sale prices, saved $930 CAD off the MSRP.

Now I have to work out a low profile wall mount that keeps it tight to the wall. All the meat of the TV is in the lower half, where the VESA mount is. Mounting directly to that will have it sit at least another 1-2" from the wall. No bueno.

Need something like a 1/8" Aluminium plate vesa mount with flush head screws that extends above the thick lower section of the TV. From there its easy to reverse some regular "flush mount" rails onto it to use up the 1.5" of dead space behind the thin panel and just hang it on a cleat.
I was thinking about this. A simple slightly bent piece of metal hooked onto another cleat and you are golden. I was looking at a Samsung that used the one cable box thing and is near flush and paper thin. Something that basic would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I wish this was like discord and I could easily show you pictures of my setup
Maybe we can talk the admins into giving us the ability to attach images if we ask really nicely?

So I was looking around and found a box that would do what I was looking for. Turns out it is a thing now I guess. So get something like that and also splitters for each input. This way there can be native play per HDMI cable and then multiple on the one screen for those times when it would be handy to have.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-11-24, 22:32

Nobody seems to make hanging hardware with the slight bend, but If I find something suitable I could bend them myself in a vise. Heck, I must have a few dozen meters of flat bar stock in the garage, if I really wanted to, I could make something up with a hacksaw and a drill press.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-11-25, 10:34

Quote:
I was thinking about this. A simple slightly bent piece of metal hooked onto another cleat and you are golden. I was looking at a Samsung that used the one cable box thing and is near flush and paper thin. Something that basic would be awesome.

Maybe we can talk the admins into giving us the ability to attach images if we ask really nicely?

So I was looking around and found a box that would do what I was looking for. Turns out it is a thing now I guess. So get something like that and also splitters for each input. This way there can be native play per HDMI cable and then multiple on the one screen for those times when it would be handy to have.
I didn't even think about that. I have one saved in my Amazon cart for that exact reason. That was when I was in the early stages of building/designing our new home.

@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-11-25, 23:34

I was searching Walmart for something and found this flush TV mount. Well, it is about as flush as I have seen. It isn't true cleat style, but close and looks like it might be strong enough to hold any TV out there.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-11-26, 10:39

Just a heads up, those are a HUGE PITA if you ever have to get to the inputs behind the TV.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2023-11-26, 13:10

Quote:
We use these things for easy video monitoring in studios: https://www.amazon.com/hdmi-multivie...multiviewer+4k
Might work for you. Don't know about lag though. That's not the most important for our applications.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-11-26, 15:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Just a heads up, those are a HUGE PITA if you ever have to get to the inputs behind the TV.
In my case that won't matter. I ran a hole in the wall behind my TV down there into a closet. That is where all my gear is down there. On hole on the high line if for the fiber coming out of the Playbar. Down near the Xbox you can see another low voltage passthrough that runs the HDMI, power and audio to the TV.

So I have the sanctity of a closet to handle my "ugly" part of the media connections and devices. On the wall is just the TV and sound bar. My kids did move one of the Skylanders portals to a small table they put below the TV, but that wasn't really designed that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby View Post
We use these things for easy video monitoring in studios: https://www.amazon.com/hdmi-multivie...multiviewer+4k
Might work for you. Don't know about lag though. That's not the most important for our applications.
Thanks. If we end up going this route it is nice to know what others are using. I can't imagine lag being much of a problem, though it could be with some of the game systems.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-11-27, 05:12

I did install a recessed power plug and 2”flexible conduit behind the TV wall. The conduit runs to a spot behind a built-in A/V cabinet. I could just throw four HDMI cables in it right now and connect them so that once the TV is hung, no one ever has to make connections back there.

Made a trip to Futile Shop to see what they had for mounts. I explained what I was looking for and the sales guy said I should have just bought a G3. Thanks. :/ I didn’t expect success, just to get a hands-on sense of the mechanics; it did give me an idea. 300mm is probably more than enough width so long as you hit a stud. Before closing the wall, I’d installed a sheet of 3/4” plywood behind the drywall to simplify mounting. So, rather than try to bend some bar stock on the depth axis in order to hang the TV snug to the wall across a relatively wide mount, I can simply make it so the TV mount loops over a relatively narrower cleat from left and right. Bar stock attaches to the wall side of the upper TV cleat and just drops strait down. TV sits off the wall exactly the thickness of the bar stock (1/8-1/6th inch, I’ll see if there’s any pre-drilled in the garage.) There’s enough space there to use 2x lumber for the cleat. I even worked out a simple way to make it quasi-self-levelling. Sometimes I just have to think with my hands to make stuff work.

Last edited by Matsu : 2023-11-27 at 09:57.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-11-27, 06:35

When we built our house, I had them build a 30"x30" recessed area where the TV mount would go in the basement TV area. There's a 4 plug outlet and an ethernet plug. I have the TV mount in there, with a Unifi In-Wall WAP Switch with an AppleTV connected so that's hardwired. The TV can pull out and when it's pushed in, it is practically flat. There's 4" lip behind it too if I wanted to put an Xbox or something but I rarely ever play and don't have any kids.

@yontsey
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-11-27, 07:29

That’s smart. I should have thought of it. I was working around an existing masonry fireplace. After I removed the upper brick facade, and lowered the mantle by four courses, and removed the raised hearth, and reset the bottom three courses as a soldier course to match the opening, I thought, shit, that was a lot of work to save an old fireplace, but it might be nice to have one in the basement…

There was a deep recess behind the brick facade but most of it was filled by the tapered stone chimney flue. There was enough room to either side for recessed boxes, but no way across the whole back without deleting the fireplace entirely, which might have been the smarter thing to do. Live and learn.

Last edited by Matsu : 2023-11-27 at 10:04.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-11-27, 09:40

I was going to add the 2" conduit running through the wall to the unfinished part ended up not doing it. Probably should have but ohwell. I can easily fish the cables through the ceiling to the unfinished part of the basement as well.

@yontsey
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-11-28, 03:41

I just saw a couple of reviews of a new Bose Ultra Soundbar. It's an interesting proposition for our space on account of a few of features.

It's only 2.3" high by 4.2" deep, so it fits with a little breathing room around it. Mantle is 8" deep and the TV sits about 2.25" off the wall, so there's just enough room for it to not appear cramped, and at about 40" wide it won't look crammed into an 80" wide mantle. Basically it doesn't offend the misses' discerning eye.

Reviews say it has a very good dialogue enhancement mode for movies/tv. This is our bread and butter - we don't tend to watch at ear splitting levels, so such a feature helps us quite a bit.

It takes a wired (powered) sub, and I already have a modest 200W sub from our old home theatre. The snazzy wireless options from Sony/Sonos/Bose are all at least $400.

I know it's not going to be in the same league as some other options, but from what I gather it's not that far off something like a standalone Arc. Sony HT-A9, or Sonos Arc (with satellites) plus their respective subs are a different story.

Last edited by Matsu : 2023-11-28 at 09:35.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-12-04, 17:26

So, I got the TV mounted using my own custom French cleat and some pre-drilled steel mounting straps. It hangs right on the wall with just the thickness of the pre-drilled steel plus fastners between it and the wall, maybe 3/16ths total, maybe a tad less. It just about pulls off an acceptable floating frame look - the thin edges of the TV sit about 2" off the wall.

I may add some reactive bias lights for a bit fun, or just a proper bias light, maybe something with a couple of warm temp options cause I prefer to have the room lighting on the softer side. Also helps the spaces around the TV edge look more intentional. There's about 4" of breathing room all around it, so a little glow from behind the floating edges might give a nice look.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-12-04, 18:22

I've been thinking about adding the Philips Hue light strips behind my tv. I've heard it makes for a great experience watching.