User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Post count (and reputation) removed due to recent post lameness.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: scratt wanted to add a poll to vote on bringing back the counters
No, sillies. 46 30.46%
Leave them in the user CP 27 17.88%
Put them back in the main thread view 45 29.80%
Beer. 33 21.85%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Post count (and reputation) removed due to recent post lameness.
Page 2 of 14 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
MrENGLISH™
HerrDEUTSCH™

2006-05-24, 07:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurp
are we moving to communism here?
i think post count gave people credibility. it created a sort of a heierchy and now its all gone. a new user has as much credibility as an old timer which sucks.
I'm all for the removal of post counts being displayed as it does give a false sense of credibility.

I do feel like rep should be used as a sign of credibility. If you have a lot of green balls obviously people like what you have to say. If you have red balls you need to figure out what the hell you are doing wrong and fix it.

Rep should speak for itself.

My 2¢

this message was brought to you by MrENGLISH™
WARNING: may contain Sarcasm and/or Bad Spelling

Last edited by MrENGLISH™ : 2006-05-24 at 09:40.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-24, 07:53

I don't understand the apparent notion that post quality was lacking as of late, and especially the notion that those with high post counts had a low signal vs noise ratio. Of course, I'm biased.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-05-24, 08:03

God you guys are a bunch of sucks. It won't be like this forever. It's a friggin' message board for shit sakes. I want to say something about a vagina full of sand, but forget the proper wording.

alcimedes, don't read too much into chester's post. She has a manner of writing which uses large wordosityness and verboseitude to mask her true intentions. Read it again and it's easy to see that it's basically just her coming on to me.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-24, 08:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
She has a manner of writing which uses large wordosityness and verboseitude to mask her true intentions. Read it again and it's easy to see that it's basically just her coming on to me.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-05-24, 08:09

You're the man murbot!

In my honest opinion post quality is quite good here at AN.

Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-05-24, 09:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
So far it involves beer and a stripper. This might take a while.
With a plan like that, I can understand the difficulty in reaching a quick resolution. Godspeed!
CoolToddHunter

Send a message via AIM to CoolToddHunter  
2006-05-24, 09:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrENGLISH™
It is starting to feel like a Communist community lately.
The posters own the means of posting? Perhaps you mean totalitarian (totalitarian != communism). The board has always been totalitarian because an elite cadre owns the virtual world in which the community lives. It's just the nature of the beast.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-05-24, 10:30

Can I be the first to say: Who the fuck cares? If you must, go back and count the damn things yourself.

Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2006-05-24, 10:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrENGLISH™
I'm all for the removal of post counts being displayed as it does give a false sense of credibility.

I do feel like rep should be used as a sign of credibility. If you have a lot of green balls obviously people like what you have to say. If you have red balls you need to figure out what the hell you are doing wrong and fix it.

Rep should speak for itself.

My 2¢
Psh. I've got a memory. I can remember what I think of the main posters on this board. Although it's rather cute, the rep system does nothing to change my perceptions of people. If I've never had a row with a particular member, and I like their posts, it doesn't really matter to me if their rep is screwy. Or vice-versa. I can really only see it being helpful (and barely that) for the new members to identify who's who. But that's easy enough to figure out.

Personally, I've never been a fan of those boards where they get the little stars under their names (on every post) based on rep. It seems to trigger even bigger elitism than your vanilla post-whore variety. I say if we keep it, it should remain on the Member info page.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-05-24, 10:44

Wanted to note that at another forums I go to, there are green dots under the name, but even veteran members only have one reputations.

I speculate that because of technical aspect of the board, nobody really gives a hoot about reputation in first place.
Oompa Loompa
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2006-05-24, 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
I speculate that because of technical aspect of the board, nobody really gives a hoot about reputation in first place.

As you, Overlords, obviously want to send a clear message: I say, sorry I just don't get this: what happened?

'Posts have become lame'... there must be some people responsible for that: hé, it could be me, for all I know.

But do I have to guess about what's going on?

I wouldn't mind some small explanation from the Overlords? How else can we better our lives, if needed?

Last edited by Oompa Loompa : 2006-05-24 at 12:50.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-05-24, 13:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oompa Loompa
I wouldn't mind some small explanation from the Overlords? How else can we better our lives, if needed?

Make offerings...
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-05-24, 13:24

Just thought I'd point out that reputation can be just as misguiding as post-counts. I've got probably half of my rep points for being funny, and not any technical merits.

So would reputation reflect technical prowess or popularity? I think it would be kinda important to make out the difference, if I were to use rep points for anything serious.

Actually I get the most important clues from reading peoples posts.
Oompa Loompa

2006-05-24, 13:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb
Make offerings...
I'd offer every retarded green dot that I was given... and my user-account if my contributions to AN were not being appreciated.

And what the hell is wrong with being funny, Mugge? Do you have to be some slow tech-head to be worth anything here?
I don't think so.

Last edited by Oompa Loompa : 2006-05-24 at 13:32.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-05-24, 13:36

Post counts were removed (at least for now) because they don't really do anything. They just show how often you've posted. However, people were attaching too much meaning to them. Mostly that's our fault for setting arbitrary post counts settings to get some added abilities at the site.

Reputation had just gotten a bit ugly. People were PM'ing mods/admins to change, remove, complain about rep points they'd gotten, feeling they were "unfair". The idea behind the rep. system is to create a sort of self policing system (see digg, /. and the like) but it was creating its own set of problems.

The current invisibility of these features is a test to see if the problems die down when the items aren't staring you in the face with each post, or listed on every user's CP page.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-05-24, 13:37

We appreciate you Oompa Loompa... <bats eyelashes>

I think everybody just needs to chill a few days and concentrate on quality rather than quantity of posts, and this will sort itself out.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
Oompa Loompa

2006-05-24, 13:43

Quote:
Post counts were removed (at least for now) because they don't really do anything. They just show how often you've posted. However, people were attaching too much meaning to them. Mostly that's our fault for setting arbitrary post counts settings to get some added abilities at the site.

Reputation had just gotten a bit ugly. People were PM'ing mods/admins to change, remove, complain about rep points they'd gotten, feeling they were "unfair". The idea behind the rep. system is to create a sort of self policing system (see digg, /. and the like) but it was creating its own set of problems.

The current invisibility of these features is a test to see if the problems die down when the items aren't staring you in the face with each post, or listed on every user's CP page.
Thanks, Alcimedes, for making this crystal clear. I appreciate clarity.

And Curiousuburb, love you too.

Last edited by Oompa Loompa : 2006-05-24 at 13:52.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2006-05-24, 13:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb
Make offerings...

HA HA HA

On topic though.

I want my post count back I was totally 1337 with it now I'm teh suck.

poo
¡Damned!

2006-05-24, 14:23

Honestly, I'd thought I'd inadvertently asploded my User Account the other night.

*phew*
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-05-24, 15:35

I thought Brad, alcimedes, or murbot was pulling another trick on me.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2006-05-24, 15:37

They'd *never* do that
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-05-24, 16:20

Quote:
And what the hell is wrong with being funny, Mugge? Do you have to be some slow tech-head to be worth anything here?
I don't think so.
Hey! Some of my best reflections in the mirror are slow tech-heads!
mickey.herman

2006-05-24, 16:28

I think this is a really good idea, it just helps everyone stay on equal ground.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2006-05-24, 16:35

I hadn't even noticed!
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-05-24, 16:39

Quote:
(...)

I don't think so.
Eh. Nothing wrong with being funny. What I meant is that the reputation doesn't really have any practical use. Just like the post count. For example; if I was to read a thread where two members where debating some technical issue, I wouldn't be able to look at the number of green dots, in order to assert who was the most knowledgeable.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy the humour at AN very much and I don't consider myself to be a grumpy old man. I might be slow, but I'm certainly not a tech-head compared to some other people here.
nato64

Send a message via AIM to nato64  
2006-05-24, 17:48

I like this idea. It makes me feel more on par with everyone else

Even if I've been here for a while. I think I still have < 200 posts
Foj
Veteran Member

2006-05-24, 21:07

Quote:
We'll still trying to track down the damned Molblin.

They've taken our preciousssssss!

rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-05-24, 21:16

"Showing results 1 to 30 of 494"

Oh, we can still figure out post counts... If we really care /that/ much.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-05-24, 21:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster375
"Showing results 1 to 30 of 494"

Oh, we can still figure out post counts... If we really care /that/ much.
Searches only return the first 500 results.

FYI.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-05-24, 21:31

Golly but you Sneetches have some lovely beaches.