Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
2016 15" Mbp.
Page 4 of 6 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Next Thread Tools
Dr. Bobsky

2017-04-27, 15:36

Tony it has been two weeks....
OrvalTucci443

2017-05-09, 04:17

I would venture to say Apple is prepping a software update that is supposed to fix the issue.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2017-06-18, 07:18

Can we get an update on the battery life?

Ars' mini-review of the MacBook included battery life comparisons which included the 2016 and 2017 MBPs - showing a roughly 1 hour improvement...

Thoughts? Anyone have a 2017 yet? Battery life is what turned me off the most about the 2016, and now I'm hesitant to jump in on the 2017 because it's got a long in the tooth GPU... sigh.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2017-06-18, 11:15

I mean, come on. Ars's 933 minute number was already insane. Over fifteen and a half hours! And now it's over an hour more than that.

Interestingly, the already abysmal effect WebGL had has year has gotten even worse.

Presumably, this is because the models start at a 555 and go up to a 560 now, whereas previously, they were available in 450, 455 and 460 configurations. I'm guessing the 450 (and would-be 550) are lower-wattage?

Either way, it's unfortunate that the tbMBPs are so dGPU-dependent again. I'm guessing Apple's hands are tied on that, since Intel apparently isn't interested in the Iris Pro any more.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2017-06-20, 10:14

Yeah I guess it isn't really fair to cherry pick the result I like best. The WebGL test definitely paints a different picture.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2017-10-30, 09:25

I never thought I'd actually be bothered by this, but I finally sat next to "that guy" at the library. He had a new MBP and all I could hear was him mashing on the keys typing. They really are THAT loud.

Awful.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-10-30, 09:33

Yeah, it really is that loud when hammering away. I don't notice it while I'm typing but there have been a few time Mrs T is staring at my while I'm pounding away at the keys. I try to be "gentler" when others notice.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-03-31, 17:27

Anyone with this MBP have swelling issues on the bottom of it?

I just noticed that my bottom is no longer flat on this thing. I first noticed it when I put it on a wood platform I made for my treadmill and how when resting my palms on the computer it would wobble. Today I actually set it on my desk to do something and noticed the rubber feet don't touch the desk anymore.

I'm over two years into ownership now so I'm guessing there is nothing Apple will do for me for free, but I was wondering how many others had a similar issue happening? My MBP always went from a stand to my lap prior to the tray for my treadmill so I never actually noticed it before.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Dr. Bobsky

2019-04-01, 08:16

I would remove the bottom to ensure that the batteries are not bulging. The other likely cause is the clips apple is using to keep the bottom in shape...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-04-01, 08:40

I have a GB appointment this evening for it to be looked at. While I was looking over it though it dawned on me that maybe the top case was warped...

I REALLY hope I get more than some generic $450 out of warranty repair bill from them.

Dr. Bobsky

2019-04-01, 09:41

Do you rest your arms on the side of the computer?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-04-01, 09:45

I can't say that never happens, but it hardly ever leaves this stand:

When it does it goes to my lap or a bag so it can go on my lap later.

Edit: I was shocked to see they still sell that stand. The rubber feet are different from mine. They also have plastic caps on the end that mine didn't. Mine is like 10+ years old.

Last edited by turtle : 2019-04-01 at 09:55.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-04-01, 10:50

Hey Ken, if you see the PM and your guys ask:
Code:
MBP Battery Charge Information: Charge Remaining (mAh): 2116 Fully Charged: No Charging: No Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4951 Health Information: Cycle Count: 107 Condition: Normal Battery Installed: Yes Amperage (mA): -2015 Voltage (mV): 10916
Hmmm.... I should have a lot more cycles in this battery according to Apple. 1000 to be exact.

Last edited by turtle : 2019-04-01 at 11:01.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-04-01, 11:04

Sent you a PM. Apple will run a full diagnostic which will say a lot more than System Information. Also, they will (should) pop the back off and check.

It's loads of fun taking the back plate off when the battery is swelling. Sometimes when we get down to a couple screws the panel will bust loose, even so much as tearing loose from any remaining screws. It's a hoot!

P.S. You need more Icebreakers.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-04-01, 12:15

I do need more Icebreakers! (My wife just went grocery shopping yesterday and restocked for me.)

I have to admit that while it would be cool to see the case tear loose, I don't want it to happen to my machine. Do they actually replace the batteries in shop or send them to a depot since they are glued in place now?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-04-01, 13:39

Not sure what corporate stores do. We order the part, it overnights, and we replace it next day. Pretty confident Apple may be able to keep the parts in stock and do the swap same day. I guess you'll find out tonight.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-04-01, 20:37

My computer has been sent to the depot for "servicing" and they will ship me back something within 3 - 5 business days. There is no cost to me for this service but they would have only charged my $199 for the battery if there wasn't clearly expansion of the battery.

They said I may or may not get my logic board back so they hoped I had good backups!

If I were to support my local Apple Repair shop would it be free there too? I don't mind supporting the local shops but I'm not really going to give away $200 just to help them stay in business. If it was free to me, would they make any money from Apple on it or would it actually cost them in the end?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-04-02, 12:09

Apple does pay us for warranty work, even though they do not charge you. Also, the part ships to us within 1-2 days, and we put your board/drive module back in the system.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-04-02, 15:04

Maybe I'll check with a local guy next time. I mean, if they are still in business. We have two Apple Stores in my area now so I wouldn't be a shock if they did not survive.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-04-04, 08:02

Got my machine back this morning. The replaced the top and bottom cases. My logic board was reused so no reinstall or anything.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-03-07, 21:22

My MBP is warped again! This same one in the exact same way. Guess I'll set up an appointment with the GB and see what they will do about it.

This is really frustrating.
Code:
Battery Information: Model Information: Manufacturer: SMP Device Name: bqxxxx51 Pack Lot Code: 0 PCB Lot Code: 0 Firmware Version: 702 Hardware Revision: 1 Cell Revision: 3925 Charge Information: Fully Charged: No Charging: No Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 6334 State of Charge (%): 94 Health Information: Cycle Count: 66 Condition: Normal
Not even that heavily used.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-03-08, 05:52

Wow, only 66 cycles?! I'd be pissed. Good luck with the appointment!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-03-08, 05:53

…how did you manage just 66 cycles in three years?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-03-08, 07:30

This stinks. I'm sorry that you're dealing with this again.

My early-2011 MBP was an absolute lemon. They replaced the logic board twice, but ALL the logic boards had the same fatal flaw. I had to buy a new machine in 2014. I was absolutely livid. Still am. The next machine lasted seven years and if I hadn't borked the keyboard it would still be a heck of a machine.

chucker

2022-03-08, 07:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
My early-2011 MBP was an absolute lemon. They replaced the logic board twice, but ALL the logic boards had the same fatal flaw.
Lemme guess: GPU
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-03-08, 08:04

I've managed to keep the cycles so low because I use it like a desktop more than anything. I just about never take it off the stand and always have it plugged into the dock here.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-03-08, 08:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Lemme guess: GPU
Bingo.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-03-09, 13:31

Chatting with Apple support via Messages feels weird. It is more convenient than going to a GB though so I have that on my side.

So far I've gotten:
Quote:
In this case, we can go ahead with the service option
Going to have to clarify if that means they will cover the costs again since their battery sucks.

Edit: The chat ended with a local GB appointment.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-03-09, 21:05

I'm back from the GB and not happy. I need y'all to keep me honest here.

They agreed that the MBP shouldn't wobble when placed on the table and that the warped top and bottom cases were bad. They refused to cover the cost and told me I should feel good about the fact that my 2016 could be completely repaired for the cost of a battery replacement, $199.

I get that it is a 2016 machine but it has plenty of life in it and on top of that, the battery only cycled 66 times. I mean, it is pretty much brand new. If I were able to remove the battery I would, but can't so my case is damaged now because the battery bulged.

We were patronized by the GB supervisor when we balked about the $199 price and then told to talk to corporate when we spoke with the store manager (on shift). So I took by bulging MBP home and am now typing on it.

Am I off base for thinking they should cover this since their battery bulged? Should I just pay the $199 and accept that it is a deal because it isn't $479 for out of warranty work? Call corporate and see if someone there has the ability to do anything else?

I'm very frustrated and Mrs T even more so since she was with me and hates to feel like we are being patronized and "robbed".

Dave
Ninja Editor

2022-03-09, 23:27

I mostly agree with you.

Also, I can’t help but point out that this probably wouldn’t be an issue if they still had removable batteries (I mean sure it’s possible, but I’d think the battery case bulging would cause some other problem before warping the laptop itself).

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.