Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

? resize system partition

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
? resize system partition
starcat102

2006-01-20, 12:09

Hi there,

I have a powerbook with an internal 80GB disk which is partitioned (journaled hfs+) in two partitions. I would like to delete the second partition and make the disk one partition. I would back up (simple copy) the files from the 2nd partition on a NAS, my concern is about the bootable system partition where I also have installed programs: I may boot with the Tiger CD and using the disk utility program make an image on an external firewire disk, then resize/reformat the PB disk and restore the system image from the external disk, again by using the disk utility program. The new system partition will be larger than the backuped system partition which is to be restored, and I am not sure if this would work (restoring a smaller system image on a larger system partition). Any thoughts on this or any ideas as to how I may resize the system partition (backup and restore accepted)? I only would not like to have to install all the software and configure again.

Thanks,
Bob.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-01-21, 01:50

Generally speaking, there's no easy, free way to resize two partitions. The best solution is to not use multiple partitions in the first place. Partitioning almost inevitably causes heartbreak and headaches in the long run.

If you're willing to pay US$50, there's VolumeWorks, but I've never tried it and it has some mixed reviews. You should absolutely back up everything of your personal data before using this, though.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
starcat102

2006-01-23, 04:13

Thanks much! I've set up the disk that way in order to be able to leave the 2nd partition intact in case I would do an upgrade on the systems partition. I may move my entire home directory to the 2nd partition freeing some space on the systems partition for programs and leave the partitions for the time being.

Thanks,
Bob.