User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

heat waves and iPhone cases

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
heat waves and iPhone cases
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-08-14, 08:54

On vacation in June, my iPhone 13 slipped out of my shorts multiple times as I was sitting down. Makes sense; those stupid phones are way too long to properly fit inside the pocket. Well, the floor was stone. Oops.

So I got myself a dumb rubber case. Makes the whole thing much bigger, but also grippier. Plus, if it should fall down like this, probably far lower risk of damage.

Except… now it's August, and temperatures are further up, and now much of the time, the phone refuses to charge beyond ~80% while I'm using it. This isn't the optimized battery charging stuff, mind you; this is the phone having a "charging paused while temperature high" message on the lock screen. (Annoyingly, that message doesn't show up as a push notification, so you don't even really notice that charging has stopped, rather than merely slowed down.)

If I then pull the thing back out of the case, and turn on airplane mode, and turn on low power mode, and just leave it like that for 15 minutes, it proceeds to charge again. Cool.

So this is less than ideal. I kind of like that the iPhone 4-style design is back in the 12/13, but if it means they made it so thin it easily overheats while charging? Hmm.

Anyway, I presume the problem is that whatever rubber-like material this is doesn't conduct the phone's heat well, so it gets trapped inside. Which makes me wonder: are there cases that keep the phone cool? Does placing ice cubes below the phone (wrapped in a towel, say) do anything? How aren't people in warmer climates going bananas dealing with a phone that won't charge?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-08-14, 17:39

Active cooling? Interesting and impractical, but it would still be fun to see it done.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-08-15, 08:53

My mini does get hot at times while charging. Even with our temps being near 100DegF outside I've not had a problem because I work in A/C and my vehicles have A/C. So it hasn't been a problem that I've noticed.

If I'm doing heavy photo/video work while out an about with the phone I have had it pop up a message about the temp but nothing that stopped me from continuing on with my mission.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-08-15, 09:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
If I'm doing heavy photo/video work while out an about with the phone I have had it pop up a message about the temp but nothing that stopped me from continuing on with my mission.
I've seen it in the past (with my 4S, maybe?) where I was on vacation somewhere on a tropical island and it showed a popup that outright refused any interaction. "iPhone needs to cool down" or something.

But… the refusing to charge thing seems new.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-08-15, 09:52

Yeah, when I was trying to film the solar eclipse a few year ago I used an old phone (with a solar filter taped over the camera) but the black phone got too hot and popped up the message that wouldn't let me do anything without cooling off the phone. I taped a piece of paper over it with a bow shape to shade it and that worked.

However, I've not seen it refuse to charge when hot either. I would guess this comes with the improved charging and 80% is the magic number now. If it is hot they don't want you exploding the cells so that must be the logic.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

2022-08-15, 09:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Active cooling? Interesting and impractical, but it would still be fun to see it done.

Yeah, maybe. Turn the iPhone into a little hovercraft.
chucker

2022-08-16, 15:37

I hadn't put it together, but I guess this is an iOS 16 beta thing. It seems the newest makes it worse, even. Oof.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-08-17, 08:08

Well that might be why I haven't seen it. No beta for me this time around. Makes sense though for their strides to improve overall battery health as much as they can control.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-08-17, 14:52

It’s not a new thing. My iPhone X gets super hot sometimes on 80F+ days while I’m working. Been like that for years. As in the screen is hot. Won’t charge, and I wouldn’t recommend trying. That behavior likely leads to bulging batteries.
chucker

2022-08-17, 15:38

I've seen iPhones get hot, and I've seen an old one of mine refuse to work for a while while too hot, but I don't recall having seen refusing to charge, especially not on a more than daily basis.

But it increasingly looks like I was running into a severe bug with the iOS 16 betas instead.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-08-19, 15:14

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Yeah, maybe. Turn the iPhone into a little hovercraft.
I'm a little late to this party — it's been a very busy week here — but you guys inspired me to try building an active cooling rig like this.

https://youtube.com/shorts/TsPkrW9Rz7A

thank you and you're welcome

Not sure if something like this would fit in anyone's pockets unless JNCOs come back into fashion.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2022-08-19, 20:36

Awesome!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-08-19, 21:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I'm a little late to this party — it's been a very busy week here — but you guys inspired me to try building an active cooling rig like this.

https://youtube.com/shorts/TsPkrW9Rz7A

thank you and you're welcome

Not sure if something like this would fit in anyone's pockets unless JNCOs come back into fashion.
Holy shit man!!!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-08-20, 07:53

This is surely CG, right??? RIGHT???

Also: I find it irritating that YouTube doesn't allow you to quickly bookmark these little video stories.

chucker

2022-08-20, 09:10

The YouTube shorts UX is infuriating.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-08-20, 10:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
The YouTube shorts UX is infuriating.
Pro tip: when you see a youtube.com/shorts/ url, change the "shorts" to "v" to get the regular interface.

Quote:
This is surely CG, right??? RIGHT???
Spoiler (click to toggle):
https://i.imgur.com/QJXHjdZ.png
chucker

2022-08-20, 11:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Pro tip: when you see a youtube.com/shorts/ url, change the "shorts" to "v" to get the regular interface.
I could've sworn I tried that earlier and it redirected me to the start page.

This also allows for Vinegar to work, yay.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-08-20, 15:13

re: spoiler 🤣🤣🤣

drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-08-20, 15:17

Also: the air-con in my car died this past week.

I tried adding refrigerant, but that was unnecessary.

I checked the fuses, but that wasn't it.

I replaced the AC compressor relay, no dice.

I looked at the compressor clutch, and it isn't engaging.

I guess I'm getting a new compre$$or next week.

Woohoo.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-08-20, 16:25

Dang. You hit all the right troubleshooting points, at least. Several years ago the AC stopped working in my wife's car, and fortunately it just needed a new relay which was cheap and easy to replace myself.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.