Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Solar eclipse today

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Solar eclipse today
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-04-08, 16:54

For most of you here, it won't even be visible at all. For many others, it'll just be a tiny little bite out of the sun. But I thought it was worth mentioning so I can vicariously experience it (since I'm way too far north to see it).

I think it's actually happening right now. For those of you in the south, you'll have a reasonably good partial eclipse to look at for a little while. Here is a page with a map, as well as start and end times for various cities where it'll be visible.
Crusader

Send a message via AIM to Crusader  
2005-04-08, 18:08

It's supposed to be in the 20%-0% range up here, and with the cloud cover, I'm not even gonna bother.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-04-08, 18:18

It's over anyway. At least in the US.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2005-04-08, 18:22

I experienced a full eclipse a few years ago. We had great weather all days before - and of course on the day of the eclipse, we had a closed cloud cover. The only thing we saw was the fading and reappearing on the light while we watched the eclipse on TV :/ But it was still a very strange experience...
A partial eclipse is barely noticeable at all with bare eyes.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-04-08, 18:40

Yeah, you don't really notice it getting darker out until it's almost completely covered. I've seen two total solar eclipses (July 1991, Mexico, and February 1998, Aruba) and one annular eclipse (May 1994, Indiana). It's partly because of the very gradual reduction in brightness, but it just doesn't really seem to get darker until the sun is something like 90% obscured.

The total ones are amazing, though. Both the ones I saw were during family trips specifically planned for eclipse watching. Oh, and in both cases, we were in dry countries, and it was cloudy in the hours leading up to the eclipse but cleared up in time to see it. Hell, it was the middle of the dry season on Aruba, a desert island, and it actually RAINED the morning of the eclipse. But it cleared up several hours later and we saw it. It's truly an amazing sight.

Unfortunately, for those in the US, it won't be easy to see any for another 12 years. There simply aren't very many total solar eclipses at all in the next few years, and the ones that will occur will be in very distant parts of the world. There's one in 2008 in the Northwest Territories, and then one that goes through the US in 2017.