Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

I just bought a PC

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
I just bought a PC
rasmits
rams it

2008-07-07, 07:06

I don't know if any of you have been following the Genius Bar lately, but I've been having a lot of problems with my decrepit old PowerBook. It was time for it to die. Knowing this day would come, I've long been planning my exit strategy: iMac + EeePC is what I've settled on, and I finished half the equasion today with the purchase of a brand new EeePC!

I debated long and hard between the EeePC and MSI Wind, but I decided I like the look of the black EeePC more, among other things. I'll miss the Bluetooth a bit, but it's not that important. I think the Wind looks worse, and the Eee better, when seen in person - to my surprise.

So far it's working great! I have to get use to Windows a little though. Luckily I'll be getting an iMac in the coming months to remedy that.

Just thought I'd let everyone know!!

edit: PS, I know AN looks horrible in the photo. I've since downloaded Firefox.

You had me at asl
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-07-07, 07:11

Did you get the Linux version and then install Windows, or did you just buy an XP version?

How's the keyboard?

I really want one of these things, but I'm just uncertain of the keyboard. I wish there was a store near me where I could play with one for a while to see how the keyboard feels.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
rasmits
rams it

2008-07-07, 07:36

I bought it with Windows. As far as I saw, only the small screen 700 models have a linux option.

The keyboard is definitely cramped, even with my relatively small hands. I can still touchtype pretty well though. The Wind had an advantage here, with a much larger keyboard. I'd say if you'll be doing any sort of light typing - internet, email, IM - you'd be fine. I wouldn't type any long reports on it though.

You had me at asl
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-07-07, 10:11

Wait, it still ships with IE6? I thought MS didn't let that turd out anymore?
rasmits
rams it

2008-07-07, 10:19

Oddly yes, even though it had SP2. I thought IE7 was bundled with SP2.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-07-07, 10:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Wait, it still ships with IE6? I thought MS didn't let that turd out anymore?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post
Oddly yes, even though it had SP2. I thought IE7 was bundled with SP2.
Nope. IE7 was never bundled with XP. SP2 came out in 2004, IE7 in late 2006. SP3 includes IE7, but SP3 is download-only. Even if you had purchased a new copy of XP on June 30 - the last day you could - you'd get IE6.

Horrendous, isn't it? I wish Vista didn't suck so hard, because it would help IE7 adoption if it didn't.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.