User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Movie Thread


Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Movie Thread
Page 94 of 94 First Previous 90 91 92 93 [94]  Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Farmiga
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2021-11-05, 13:53

Hmmm...I don't even remember that one, and I thought I remembered/knew all 80's movies.

Virginia Madsen...mmmmm.

Odd connection? Her brother, Michael, was in the opening scene of WarGames, playing the other missile silo crew member who pulled a gun on the other one who took his hand off the key.

It's all connected, baby!
  quote
Anonymous Coward
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2021-11-05, 16:38

I've never watched a movie on YouTube, so don't know if this is full of advertisements or other interruptions, but I found that Electric Dreams is posted there.

This is a bit older, but is another favorite because, being a former Navy machinist's mate, how often is it that an enlisted person has such a big role in a movie? The Sand Pebbles I used to get confused because the author of the book is Richard McKenna and one of the stars of the movie is Richard Crenna.
  quote
psmith2.0
Mr. Farmiga
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2021-11-05, 22:48

I was hanging out with my Dad this evening and we watched two movies on Netflix, at opposite ends of the genre/quality scale.

First up, a 2017 low-budget Western called Justice that had some of the most awful, clichéd plotting/dialogue/acting I've ever seen. The only recognizable names were Stephen Lang in a hammy villain role, Jamie-Lynn Sigler (Tony's daughter, Meadow, from The Sopranos) and a bearded Robert Carradine in a smaller role. Oh, and Lesley-Anne Down, for a whole two minutes.

I've literally seen Clint do this very type of movie - a surly loner rides into a town run by shitheads, and proceeds to kill said shitheads after they've Pushed Things Too Far - about 6,300 times in my life. But to see it done so badly was kinda funny/interesting in its own way. And after years of seeing Ms. Sigler play Meadow Soprano with that slight NJ type of accent/voice, it was weird to see her with a slight Southern drawl/purr in 1800's-set cowboy movie.

But it had some beautiful scenery, filmed around Santa Fe, NM...great wide shots of desert, mountains, sunsets, etc. and looked really nice on a 60"+ 4K TV. A (barely) 2-out-of-10 on the WTF Am I Watching?!™ scale.

Second was a 2012 spy/action thriller called Safe House, starring Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds. It also featured Brendan Gleeson, Sam Shepard, Robert Patrick and my sweetie, the lovely and vivacious Vera Farmiga, in supporting roles. It was set, and filmed in/around, Cape Town, South Africa, a place I've never really seen/noticed a movie set before.

The movie was pretty decent, in a Jason Bourne-y kinda way. Nothing I haven't seen before, but Washington and Reynolds were good in their parts, as were the others above. One of those spy/CIA movies where, 20 minutes in, you truly have no idea who/what to believe or trust...who's crossing who, who's working for which side, who's gonna turn out to be a traitor/backstabber, etc. But some nice action sequences, both on the fighting/gunplay front and chases (in cars and on foot). And some nice locations/scenery as well, throughout.

A solid 6-out-of-10 on the popcorn scale. It wasn't the absolute waste of 90-minutes that Justice was, that's for sure!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-05 at 23:17.
  quote
psmith2.0
Mr. Farmiga
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2021-11-17, 10:01

New Spider-Man trailer now out, confirming the presence/involvement of various villains from other installments.

Frankly it looks like an overwrought, everything-but-the-kitchen-sink headache-and-a-half and fan-service orgy...but since when has that impacted a movie's success (especially in this genre)?

I think, right or wrong, I just have it hardwired into me that once you jump into the time travel and/or "alternate/multiple universes" thing (I know that's been part of the comics), that you're just kinda out of ideas or you need a quick, easy way to explain (or undo) any complex messes you've gotten into on the writing/creativity front. They're my two least favorite tropes/devices in movies/storytelling, honestly. So my interest in sitting through such a thing, even for the nostalgia rush, is less than zero.

And that DC and that upcoming Flash movie are doing the exact same thing...well. Okay, whatever...

"We can fix all this by having him go back in time and..." or "well, you see, there are multiple worlds all existing, independent of one another, and so...".

Yeah, I'm good...spare me. Not a fan of this kind of stuff, on a good day. It's a (lazy) "finger-snap", at best. At worst, a bit of a cynical "let's do a 'greatest hits' thing and really pull the neckbeards in!" tactic.

I'd rather sit through the most Kate Hudson-y/Reese Witherspoon-y of rom-com chick-flicks than to try and endure/make sense of the above.

But it'll no doubt make gazillions! Right now, I think Spider-Man (along with those Disney+ shows) is holding that stuff together, and a legitimate tie back to the "glory years" of the MCU. People will watch, in large numbers, just from that angle alone, IMO. The Stark stuff is going to loom large for some time to come, so that's good (you see a brief glimpse of Favreau's Happy Hogan in the above trailer, so you know it's all still part of that world...as it should be).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-17 at 10:17.
  quote
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Upstate South Carolina
 
2021-11-17, 10:23

Yeah, if you watch the "What If...?" series you would feel right at home with No Way Home.

On the one hand I will appreciate seeing some of the old characters back in the new version, but not because I really care as much as I enjoy most good action flicks. Ok, even mediocre ones.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
  quote
psmith2.0
Mr. Farmiga
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2021-11-17, 16:04

I had Wonder Woman 1984 on in the background today as I worked. It’s been a year since I saw it and I just wanted to make sure it was as goofy as I remember.

Yep.

My big takeaway is that women (Patty Jenkins, Gal Gadot, etc.) can put out a loud, overstuffed and incoherent movie every bit as much as any male filmmaker/actors.

Congrats?

Equality! It may not always come in the form you hope for.

  quote
kscherer
The Ban Hammer
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boyzeee
 
2021-11-17, 16:23

Except that women get to yell, "It bombed because men don't like female-led action movies!"
  quote
psmith2.0
Mr. Farmiga
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2021-11-17, 16:38

No, just the stupid ones (movies).

Ellen Ripley and The Bride are two of my favorites. I enjoyed Linda Hamilton in those first two Terminator movies, Scarlett Johansson in Lucy, I watch Salt any time it's on. Those silly Underworld movies are fun to watch too, as is Atomic Blonde.

Some people just want to throw out an easy, lazy excuse/reason - and stir up their buddies/followers - when they have nothing else to offer or counter with. It helps when the movie isn't a poorly-written hunk-of-shit.

Wonder Woman 1984 is. Isn't my fault.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-17 at 17:20.
  quote
Frank777
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto
 
2021-11-17, 17:25

Gadot has done amazing work as Wonder Woman. Pine was also good in the first film. I haven't seen 1984 (largely because I heard it wasn't worth the theatre trip) but from the reviews I've seen, its problems seem to stem from the script and the director, not the acting.
  quote
kscherer
The Ban Hammer
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boyzeee
 
2021-11-17, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
No, just the stupid ones (movies).

Ellen Ripley and The Bride are two of my favorites. I enjoyed Linda Hamilton in those first two Terminator movies, Scarlett Johansson in Lucy, I watch Salt any time it's on. Those silly Underworld movies are fun to watch too, as is Atomic Blonde.

Some people just want to throw out an easy, lazy excuse/reason - and stir up their buddies/followers - when they have nothing else to offer or counter with. It helps when the movie isn't a poorly-written hunk-of-shit.

Wonder Woman 1984 is. Isn't my fault.
You're a misogynist.

See how I did that? You no longer have an argument, and nothing you say matters, because you're a man and you can't do or say anything to prove your point. You hate strong women because they make you feel inferior. WW84 was a beautiful movie that only did poorly because white men like you are intimidated by strong female leads. Leia and Ripley weren't strong, they were weak, and I can prove it because men love them and those movies did really, really well!

So, stop arguing or I'll call you a different name, like "racist" or something.

Get with he woke-gram, would you!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Gadot has done amazing work as Wonder Woman. Pine was also good in the first film. I haven't seen 1984 (largely because I heard it wasn't worth the theatre trip) but from the reviews I've seen, its problems seem to stem from the script and the director, not the acting.
I saw the first one and thought it was crap.

The writer's saw fit to make her "strong" by giving her super powers. Otherwise, what does she have (boobs aside)?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
  quote
Frank777
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto
 
2021-11-17, 17:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I saw the first one and thought it was crap.
Let's take a breath and a step back and remember that we are talking about a DC franchise-origin movie.

So as an origin story, it should be compared to Man of Steel and Green Lantern. So it's glorious.
  quote
kscherer
The Ban Hammer
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boyzeee
 
2021-11-17, 17:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Let's take a breath and a step back and remember that we are talking about a DC franchise-origin movie.

So as an origin story, it should be compared to Man of Steel and Green Lantern. So it's glorious.
Man of Steel was horrible, and I haven't seen Green Lantern because all of the other DC "origin" movies I've seen have been horrible. The original Super Man was way better than Man of Steel; Batman has been re-origined so many times I don't even know what to think; Wonder Woman was ick; Aquaman was possibly the worst comic-movie I've ever seen. It's just all garbage, and I no longer give them any of my precious attention.

Can't convince me otherwise, so don't bother trying. IMHO, they were terrible.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
  quote
psmith2.0
Mr. Farmiga
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2021-11-17, 17:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Gadot has done amazing work as Wonder Woman. Pine was also good in the first film. I haven't seen 1984 (largely because I heard it wasn't worth the theatre trip) but from the reviews I've seen, its problems seem to stem from the script and the director, not the acting.
I liked the first one too. It was enjoyable in the same way that first Captain America movie was (I'm a sucker for anything set in the first half of the 20th century). I've never had a bad thing to say about that 2017 release, and it had some nice moments. We're talking strictly about that sequel that came out last year (which had none, it was just a silliness parade).

And I never beat up on the acting, outright, on 1984. It very much is a writing/story/plot thing, and Gadot, Pine, Wiig and Pascal probably did the best with what they had to work with (convoluted silliness). None of them are bad actors. It was just a stupid movie.
  quote
psmith2.0
Mr. Farmiga
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2021-11-17, 17:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Let's take a breath and a step back and remember that we are talking about a DC franchise-origin movie.

So as an origin story, it should be compared to Man of Steel and Green Lantern. So it's glorious.


My niece's third-grade class play - where she played a barnyard animal - was an award-winning performance compared to both Man of Steel and Green Lantern. That's not saying much.
  quote
psmith2.0
Mr. Farmiga
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2021-11-23, 16:03

Reviews for Lady Gaga’s latest are coming in. They’re not too kind. Uh-oh.

Seems the accents are a big sticking point with some critics/reviewers.

It’s always something, huh? Apparently Gaga and Pacino aren’t Italian Enough™? News to me.

I kinda thought it was an amped-up, broad black comedy - like Knives Out or something along those lines - from the trailers. At little bit stylized and over-the-top. But there may be sliding sets of rules that govern just how broadly or comedically you portray something/someone, based on the type of movie it's supposed to be? A straight-up farce vs. your more Oscar bait type of flicks? Hell if I know.



I don’t even want to imagine the number of boxes that require checking before a modern motion picture undertakes production. And even then, it won't be enough.

I'd still like to see it; WTF do I know about Italian accents?

But maybe at home; gone, my multiplex days are.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-23 at 17:22.
  quote
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Upstate South Carolina
 
2021-11-24, 08:43

DC League of Super-Pets is coming. When I first heard about it I scoffed and shook my head. The trailer though, I have to say, I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing this one.

I love (present tense, don't judge) Secret Life of Pets 2 and this is right inline with it but with comical ties to their human superhero counterparts. It is also being shown in the trailer as being vibrant and colorful more like the original comics vs dark and ominous.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
  quote
psmith2.0
Mr. Farmiga
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2021-11-24, 09:00

I would’ve never guessed/predicted that in 400 years.

I remember having a few comics as a kid where there was a white Super Dog, looking very close to the one in the trailer I thought it was cute that he wore a little cape.

This looks better than Justice League. I’m not sure what says, but there you go.

“Guys, I think it’s pretty clear at this point that we simply can’t make a go of things with our A-team roster of DC’s most popular, beloved characters. And, no…I don’t know why either. So how about we just do some animal cartoons instead?”

- Actual meeting at WB conference room

  quote
kscherer
The Ban Hammer
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boyzeee
 
2021-11-24, 11:59

And now you know why I checked out of the whole DC thing.

The way people are with their dogs these days, I suspect this will get a lot of traction. Some people would rather see animals succeed than humanity, so …

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
  quote
psmith2.0
Mr. Farmiga
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2021-11-24, 12:23

I do, at this point.

Seriously, had you told me 10 years ago that WB/DC were going to bring all their top-tier, big-name superheroes together on the big screen, as Marvel did, and then spectacularly botch it nine ways to Sunday, head to toe, I would’ve laughed you out of the room.

“How can anyone mess up Superman, Batman, Wonder, Flash and the others all appearing as live action on the big screen for the first time ever?! No way…”

Damned if they didn’t figure out a way.

Minus about 30-45 minutes of that first WW movie, I’ve never seen such unwatchable, big-budget fare (at least until Disney/Lucasfilm popped up…”hold my lightsaber”).

Congrats all around!
  quote
Posting Rules Navigation
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Page 94 of 94 First Previous 90 91 92 93 [94] 

Post Reply

Forum Jump
Thread Tools
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"DOOM" movie, not so Doom-like Brad AppleOutsider 47 2021-01-27 16:39
The Perennial "Movies to Avoid" thread. Moogs AppleOutsider 79 2006-03-15 14:42
What is this movie? macgeek2004 AppleOutsider 122 2005-12-31 14:25
What the Bleep Do We Know!? (movie) Paul AppleOutsider 2 2004-10-17 00:40
Movie Review: Steppford Wives 2.0 Moogs AppleOutsider 8 2004-06-14 17:52


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:26.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2021, AppleNova