AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

COVID-19 Outbreak

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
COVID-19 Outbreak
Page 3 of 42 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-12, 13:11

I'm not hiding. Sitting here at work rolling my eyes.
Dr. Bobsky

2020-03-12, 17:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
If we as a society are going to shutdown and hide inside with no travel and no going to the office for the next couple of months, what is going to happen when all traces of this virus aren't eradicated? Isn't it just going to be a thing again? Like the normal flu/cold only different?

I mean, Ebola is still a thing.

I'm not suggesting we have "pig flu parties" like happened in my area (and I'm sure your area too) where people went to intentionally get infected to boost their immune systems. Why are we going to hide in our houses because there is a lion in the street?
The UK is intentionally waiting until a sufficiently large enough group of its residence have the illness before acting against it to develop a population immunity...
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2020-03-12, 18:27

Quote:
If we as a society are going to shutdown and hide inside with no travel and no going to the office for the next couple of months, what is going to happen when all traces of this virus aren't eradicated? Isn't it just going to be a thing again? Like the normal flu/cold only different?
Normal flu/cold not only have much lower fatality rates but they don't see 10 - 20 % requiring hospitalisation.

Bilateral interstitial pneumonia, bilateral interstitial pneumonia, bilateral interstitial pneumonia......

You have to flatten the curve.

When all traces of the virus are not eradicated, it will flare again in subsequent waves. I'll predict now that, after their initial monumental fuck-up, China and the other Asian countries that are clearly now following the extremely well established epidemiological science of pandemics, will play wack-a-mole hard with the inevitable subsequent outbreaks. Thus avoiding overwhelming their health systems again and having far less impact on their economies. Unfortunately, this thing seems to be just so damned transmissible that will just be how it is from now until either we find a vaccine or we get lucky and it mutates into something less virulent.

But any one, any government, any world leader who thinks it can just be ignored and allowed to run through populations without catastrophic consequences is dreaming.

I also predict that masks will eventually be recognised in the West as an important part of the solution, as they already have been in the Asian countries that are showing the greatest success. I only bought a handful of masks because having looked very closely at the transmissability, determined that self-isolation is by far the most reliable way to avoid catching it and because self-isolating for months on end if necessary is easy for me, that's the way I'm dealing with it. I'm 58. I've already had one run in with a bastard virus. I hope this approach will keep it that way.

Depending on your age, comorbidities and how much community transmission there is near you, whether or not you should be wearing a mask should be part of the plan y'all are now making because I told you to. If, for instance, you're over 60 (50 even), diabetic and live near, say, Santa Clara, you should be wearing a mask now, at least when you're around groups of people in enclosed areas. Unfortunately, your chance of finding a mask now are buckleys and none.

Seems you know when shits hit the fan in your country because China donates a shitload of masks to you. That's what they did with Japan, SK and Italy. Sensible world leaders should not be finger pointing at China now. We're almost certainly going to need their help, it's in their self-interest to help (ATM) and they've got the resources we need.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-12, 18:39

Another exceptional data-driven website. Especially interesting is the "panic button" in the lower right called "Mentions in the media".

Lots of fun, useful info.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-03-12, 19:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychester View Post
I also predict that masks will eventually be recognised in the West as an important part of the solution, as they already have been in the Asian countries that are showing the greatest success.
Unlikely, people in the know having been rightly telling us, again and again, that the masks most people are buying (surgical masks) are useless unless you are actually sick! In which case the best solution is to not go out. Why? It's been shown that most people who wear these masks touch their face more often, increasing the chance of transmission! The most successful way to avoid the virus is washing your hands, and not putting your hands on your face. Lets not forget that many Asians still believe people get the common cold from going outside on a cold day. Believing something doesn't make it true though.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-03-13, 12:46

WWDC moving to online only this year. At least I'll get a front row seat this time!

Sports events closing up. Man, there are going to be a whole lot of industries hammered by this hide from the booger man mindset. On the bight side, stocks are on sale now!

I have to agree with PB PM about the mask thing. Most of the people who wear them shouldn't be and if they are trying to protect themselves they are wearing the wrong type. As a former medic I can say almost everyone gets masks wrong. Not knowing what kind of filtration this guy has, at least he has the right concept.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-03-13, 16:22

Hey, guess who has a cough, sore throat, fever and headaches?

I haven't been anywhere. In fact, I hardly ever go out - I work at home!

Just super lucky, I guess.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-03-13, 19:11

Get food or packages delivered to your house? Easily could be picked up from delivery people.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-03-13, 20:05

So are you going to get tested to see if you are going to be a COVID-19 survivor or just assume it is and go on with life?

My city shutdown schools for the next two weeks.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-03-13, 22:03

I don’t think they will test me, tbh. I haven’t been abroad or met anyone known to have it, so don’t qualify. It would be kind of useful to know, but I don’t know if I can find out.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-03-13, 22:31

Yes, they do want to see links, it's far more likely that you simply have the flu.
Dr. Bobsky

2020-03-14, 17:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Hey, guess who has a cough, sore throat, fever and headaches?

I haven't been anywhere. In fact, I hardly ever go out - I work at home!

Just super lucky, I guess.
Stay isolated....

Obviously, chances are it is the flu, but you have a child and wife that presumably can be carriers of illnesses. And the proof you've been exposed to something is the fact that you're sick...
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-03-14, 17:28

Yeah, I don't think it is Covid19 as I don't have much fever - and it's died down a bit already. Probably just regular flu or something similar.

I'm staying home until it clears though, just in case.

The panic buying is more of a problem than the actual disease. My wife got the second to last loaf of bread today. I'm guessing the problem will go away after the weekend when people realize they have 8 months worth of stock and don't need to buy any more.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2020-03-15, 05:24

Can we get the title of this thread changed please?
Dr. Bobsky

2020-03-15, 07:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ω_ View Post
Can we get the title of this thread changed please?
I agree...
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-03-15, 12:35

Indeed, just call it COVID-19 discussion or something along those lines.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-03-15, 13:07

I started this thread and agree. You can name it after me, or call it COVID-19.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-15, 21:43

Damn, someone beat me to it!
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2020-03-16, 05:27

Does this mean only cardboard characters need be afraid? Will alert the PM!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-03-16, 11:04

I think the new title gives it the proper credit it needs.

Everything is changing and it's rather wild. I have so many friends that have no idea what they are going to do because their kids all had schools shut down.

I am however really grateful that Star Wars was released early so I finally got to see the end of the saga.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-16, 12:13

Fear of the virus is worse than the virus.

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-03-16 at 12:27.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-03-16, 19:49

Quote:
I am however really grateful that Star Wars was released early so I finally got to see the end of the saga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Sitting through The Rise of Skywalker is worse than the virus. Thoughts and prayers, turtle.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-16, 21:20

Yeah, well it's ironic that this psychotic bullshit had to start in Idaho.
addabox
Veteran Member

2020-03-16, 22:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I'm surprised you're sticking with this. At a very conservative 40% exposure rate, we're likely to see 2-3 million dead, probably more as our health delivery systems crash. I kind of feel like once you get over a million deaths that is worse than "fear."

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-03-16, 22:52

The only thing to fear is fear itself... oh wait this isn't a movie it's real life. I don't fear COVID-19, not because it isn't an issue, but because fearing it won't change anything. Taking safety precautions, and not doing anything stupid is the solution. Our Provencal Government has banned all meetings of over 50 people, seems reasonable given the spread of the virus. For the most part people locally are taking it with stride, and caution. There are those who are going crazy, because they always have been, so nothing has changed.

Some people will always hide from reality because it makes them feel better about their choices, nothing you can do about that.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2020-03-17, 02:16

https://www.covid19data.com.au/

Good site for Aussies Margie.

2 things:
1. I can’t believe how lucky our family was - being in China over the new year and returning safely. That’s a blessing.
2. I know I’m not alone with this opinion, but geez we have an over-representation of genuine muppets masquerading as world leaders these days. It’s extremely frustrating.

#Scottyfrommarketing is a disgrace... and, unfortunately, he’s not on his own!
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2020-03-17, 04:47

Good site for those wanting something a bit more local, thanks for posting.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2020-03-17, 05:02

Where are you located Omega? Maybe NZ?

If so, I rate Jacinda Ardern. Stay healthy and safe.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-03-17, 11:42

I went out for the first time in a while today for a doc's appointment and was greeted with a thermometer and rubber gloves.

Thankfully an oral temp was sufficient to enter the building. Then I was ordered to go in the bathroom and wash my hands. I didn't mind and can be very obedient thanks to the military in me. It actually seemed to keep the tension down in the waiting room. Knowing that you can be asymptomatic and still contagious though...

One lady coughed and you would have thought she broke out an uzi. She immediately started defending herself that she doesn't have the virus. What's funny is it is an allergy clinic and many of our symptoms are similar to normal symptoms of the virus. Fever is the only one that doesn't mirror allergies (generally speaking), hence the lady with gloves and thermometer at the door.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-03-17, 13:13

Quote:
One lady coughed and you would have thought she broke out an uzi. She immediately started defending herself that she doesn't have the virus.
Drives home the little nugget of insight I saw online over the weekend: "I used to cough to cover a fart; nowadays I fart to cover a cough."

Sounds about right. Sadly I have a feeling we're not too far from a "coughing man beaten to death by panicked, toilet paper-buying strangers" headline.