User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

What whiskey are you drinking right now?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What whiskey are you drinking right now?
Page 6 of 9 First Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  Next Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-10, 18:29

Thought I would share this (belatedly). A friend of mine has been tinkering with podcasting and started his own podcast called the Whiskey Wonder Podcast. Back in September he invited me to join him for a Pappy Van Winkle tasting and we did the podcast together. It is Episode 24 in his library, and was great fun. I made several mistakes (it was the first time I've ever done something like that), but I had fun.

The mistakes I made:
- I kept saying "Johnny Walker Black Label" when I meant to say "Jim Beam Black Label".
- I referred to Louis XIII as whiskey (it's cognac)
- In explaining my experience, I neglected to say that it was all 16 years ago, before I started selling Macs

Tasting the Pappy was fun, but I could just never justify that kind of money for a bottle of whiskey, nor did I think it was $2000 special by any shake of any stick. It was good, smooth as butter, and the nibbit I had was worth north of $100!

Anyway, we are doing another episode this evening, topic of my choice.

Yay, me!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-12-10 at 18:44.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-10, 18:33

$2,000?!? When did Apple get into the whiskey business?

And I squawk at the price of a 12-pack of Coors...

What's your topic going to be, if you're being given the chance to choose?

Apple-related? Star Wars? This place? Or does it have to be booze-related? I guess so, if that's what the podcast is about.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2020-12-11, 00:59

Pappy van Winkle prices went fucking bonkers over the past 10 years.

In the late 2000s/very early 2010s, you could find the 12yo bottle for anywhere between $50-80. 15yo was ~$100-120ish.

Similar thing happened with Japanese Single Malts. Yamazaki 12yo used to be my "budget" purchase in grad school because I could get it for ~$30 at inflated Manhattan prices. Didn't want to pay $50 or more for Lagavulin or whatever. Now, you'd be hard pressed to find the same Yamazaki for <$150 or so.

Even more recently (past summer), prices for a certain bourbon went through the roof after folks caught on to the fact it was about as tasty as Pappy van Winkle, but only ~$20 a bottle instead of $1K+ or whatever the hell people pay now.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-12-11, 11:20

My go-to sipping whiskey is usually Stranahan's.

For mixing, Rittenhouse Rye. This is perfect in a Manhattan—that extra 10 proof helps it stand up to a spice-bomb like Carpano Antica vermouth.

Right now I'm drinking a cinnamon infused brandy I made. I took a cheap bottle of Paul Masson brandy ($12 or something), dumped in some cinnamon sticks and chopped figs and let it sit for a week or two. Very tasty on its own or in an Old Fashioned.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-11, 11:46

An update. In Episode 30 we talked about various things, and I brought a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel and a taster of Johnny Walker Blue Label.

It was fun.

He has a new episode about once every two weeks, and has invited me for a once/month sitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
$2,000?!? When did Apple get into the whiskey business?

And I squawk at the price of a 12-pack of Coors...

What's your topic going to be, if you're being given the chance to choose?

Apple-related? Star Wars? This place? Or does it have to be booze-related? I guess so, if that's what the podcast is about.
Yeah, it's booze related—mostly bourbon—but we dove into scotch a bit.

My favorite budget whiskey is Jim Beam Black Label Extra Aged, and my favorite of all is Four Roses Single Barrel. I have quite a few new bottles in my bar that I haven't tried but am looking forward to, including McKenna and Buffalo Trace.

I've just remodeled a rather useless corner of my living room into an actual bar (with shelves, mirror, bar-top, mini-fridge, stools, storage, the whole nine yards). Seats two comfortably, holds 30 bottles on the shelves, plenty of beer things and glasses and all that. I love it and it completely changes the space. As a growing aficionado, it's fun to have a whiskey bar right in the house. Way cheaper than those places normal people go.

As for the Pappy being $2000, that's actually cheap, and it wasn't my bottle. My friend's friend won the opportunity to buy a bottle in the Idaho liquor lottery, and then shared with us. I would never pay that for a bottle of the stuff.

Well, unless maybe I suddenly become a go-zillionaire, but even then I can think of a better use of 2 grand!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-04-27 at 17:55.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-11, 12:12

I truly have no idea what things cost, outside of the things I actually buy/use (or have an interest in...Fender this, Apple that, etc.). I never knew alcohol, other than wine, gets to such prices. I don't really drink liquor, so I'm out of that loop. I'm a beer/cider kinda guy (unless someone's got some 151 and Dr. Pepper around).
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-01-29, 23:59

It's not complicated or rare but damn Talisker 10 really hits the spot.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-01-30, 11:57

Had some Weller Antique, Barrell Dovetail, and New Riff Maltster Wheat last night along with some hazys and stouts from Tree House.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-30, 12:37

I was at a pub last night (sitting distant from everyone, blah, blah...I can't just stay here at the damn house forever, for crying out loud; I'm about to throw myself off a bridge, FFS). Anyway, they've changed the laws in my little town/community within the outer limits of Chattanooga, and so the place I used to go to that only did beer (bottles and 4-5 on tap) now does full-on liquor...all the bottles, all the mirrors, all the different glasses, etc. Was news to me.

Everyone was drinking whiskey shots and I just heard nothing but whiskey talk/debate for about two hours straight.

People really get into it. This one (drunk) old bat was haranguing the bartender (a sober bat) because she didn't have some brand I'd never even heard of (and that I'm pretty sure the drunk bat was mispronouncing anyway). The level of catty, passive-aggressive venom tossed back-and-forth between these two got funnier as it went on.

"Am I about to see too dingy, skeezy broads get into a fight over what whiskey is ordered/stocked here? Damn, I hope!". Because, as I learned from Seinfeld, there's always the possibility of shirts coming off.

Fingers were crossed, but the drunk bat's boyfriend/husband finally dragged her away.

Of all things to be a hard-case over.

"Why ain't you sumbitches got no good whiskey up in this fuckin' place?" - honest-to-goodness direct quote, which should give you an idea of the kinds of places I hang out.

Stay classy, lady. She's probably teaching Sunday school somewhere tomorrow morning.

It'll be months before I venture out again; people are even more stupid/obnoxious than I remember.

So, yeah...whiskey.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-30, 12:49

People are stupid.

Throw in the whiskey, and stupid people show their true colors!

Aberlour A'bunadh Sherry Cask

Good stuff!

And, no, I won't get in your face if you don't like it!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-30, 13:00

It was Friday night...I guess everyone's pent up, frustrated after a(nother) long week of no job, etc. It was indeed a lively, vocal crowd, but those two were the only iffy/negative thing I saw. People were in good spirits for the most part, which was encouraging to see (and helped my mood a bit as well).

But having liquor available at my little local, just-down-the-road-a-piece dive does indeed change the crowd/dynamic, I noticed. Beer people and liquor people are completely different. I seemed to be the only beer person there, nursing my one Sam Adams for nearly 90 minutes. I was by far the quietest, by about 6,000dB.

But you haven't been properly entertained until you've seen a group of seconds-away-from-alcohol-poisoning rednecks all karaoke-ing a Bob Seger song none of them actually know the words to (even when they're on a screen right in front of them). That takes talent!
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-01-30, 20:32

Man I miss going to bars.

Colorado never re-opened bars.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-01-30, 22:29

I haven't really been able to drink liquor since I had a gallbladder stop-up that set my pancreas on fire about 10 years ago. Not *hurting* after having a nice whiskey or a fun rum drink is the urge I obey these days, but I am terribly jealous of those of you who can still enjoy whiskey (and all the other fun drinks).

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-01-31, 00:17

I had a major medical situation almost 2 years ago to the date but I've been able to enjoy drinks again, thankfully. Almost killed me.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2021-01-31, 04:06

If it is any consulation I am more than making up for the both of you.

And the Aberlour is good shit
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-31, 23:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ω_ View Post
If it is any consulation I am more than making up for the both of you.

And the Aberlour is good shit
Right there with you, and
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-02-01, 02:12

Aww, y'all are the best!!

:: frustrated sober heart icon ::

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-01, 11:43

Drew, are you able to drink beer?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-02-01, 12:09

Yes! I can still have a beer every now and then. I just had a Corona in May.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-01, 13:08

Okay. I have an experiment for you:

I know, I know, it's NA, but it's half the calories and tastes pretty damned good! I buy a lot of it (Trader Joe's), because it tastes almost like real-ish beer, and I can drink a case of the stuff and still pass a breathalyzer!

Seriously, I love beer. However, during my Working Out - And Suffering diet I've had to cut some of the beer (you'd be surprised how much responsibility the stuff has in the creation of the ol' "beer gut" ), and it bugs me to lose that. But! Clausthaler has been something of a godsend, since I can drink 2 of them for every one of the real stuff (calorie-wise). AND! I can have one real beer and then a couple NA's, or vice versa, or even two real beers and 4 or 5 Clausthalers if I really want to "cut loose" which I like to do Friday evening at home — since I have an actual bar in my house .

Hell, grab yourself a 24oz mug and dump 2 frosty ones in there and you'll even feel like you're drinking great beer!

The stuff is growing on me, and I'm reaching the point where I would almost* rather drink it. They have a few flavors, and I keep two of them around (original and dry-hopped—I like the dry-hopped, which is richer and more full-bodied). If our local Trader Joe's carried more varieties I would try all of them. The citrus flavors probably have a bit more of an IPA thing to them, which would be nice. Otherwise, they're a bit more along the lines of a European lager, which is OK. The closest real-world beer I could compare it to would be something like Heineken, which is pretty good beer.

* Whereby "almost" means "maybe some day when hell freezes over).

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-02-01 at 13:19.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2021-02-02, 06:55

This is not the girly beer thread!

Glenkinchie 12 - nice easy drinking malt, so much so time for a second glass...
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-02, 12:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ω_ View Post
This is not the girly beer thread!
No, but a guy needs a drink one way or the other, and I'm happy to help a brother out.

Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14. My wife discovered it, and holy cow that stuff is nice. Smooth and delicious!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-02, 12:26

Threads are about - within reason - wherever things naturally lead. It isn't like we veered off into talking about deep-sea fishing or growing a better herb garden. It's still booze/alcohol-related jabber. If Ken wants to break things out into a separate "girly beer thread", fine. But I can deal with multiple, concurrent lines of somewhat-related thought. It'll easily swing back to whiskey when someone posts about whiskey. That's all it takes.

I don't drink the vile stuff, so it ain't gonna be me. But you know what I'm saying.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2021-02-02, 12:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
No, but a guy needs a drink one way or the other, and I'm happy to help a brother out.

Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14. My wife discovered it, and holy cow that stuff is nice. Smooth and delicious!
Balvenie 21 year old Portwood is my go to! It was a gift from work.

An online summary wrote: “a veritable masterclass in poise and balance” and I agree (confirmation bias perhaps)... regardless, it has spoilt me!

All I want is a simple life
twitter

Last edited by Mac+ : 2021-02-02 at 12:55. Reason: clarification... seriously am I the only one who enters these details?
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-02-02, 13:16

My wife brought home a bottle of Legent Bourbon. https://www.legentbourbon.com

It's pretty interesting. It's made by the blender from Suntory blending Jim Beam bourbons. It's not "fancy" but I like it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-02, 13:31

Ain't got to be fancy! My favorite sipping whiskey is Jim Beam Black Label. Cheap; delicious; smooth. Best value in whiskey as far as I'm concerned.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-02-02, 15:42

If you ever come across it, Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Rare Breed Rye are straight fire. So amazing. Rare Breed is readily available here, but I've had to have people send me the Rye from out of town. the Rye is my favorite. It's around $60. Not too crazy.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-27, 17:32

Eagle Rare 10 year.

Cannot find it here in Idaho. Just. Can't! Well, you can, you just have to be there the moment the delivery comes in and pray there might maybe could be but probably won't be any on the truck.

But, I've been wanting to try it. Well, we were visiting friends in Portland back in March and my wife and my friend's wife had to run an errand and asked if we wanted anything from the liquor store.

"Eagle Rare," I said with wishful thinking.

Couple hours later the ladies return from their jaunt and HOY CRAP they found a bottle. Actually, there were 3 bottles on the shelf. Three! In Idaho, we get none!

And boy, let me tell you! Smooth as butter and full of oaky, nutty, cinnamony (is that a word) deliciousness that slid on down like so much heaven! Yum! So, I got home and sent a text to my friend and asked him to go back to that store for more and guess what? He found four bottles. Bought all four of them and is bringing three of them to me. We're "meeting in the middle" since it's illegal to ship whiskey into Idaho for some *COUGH Mormons COUGH* reason.

Anyway, if you haven't tried it, try it. And if you don't like it, ship it to me.

$40 here in Idaho (if you can find it, which you can't); $35 in Portland—and no sales tax. Yay, me!

Next goal is their 17 year, and maybe a Larceny Barrel Proof, but good luck with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
If you ever come across it, Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Rare Breed Rye are straight fire. So amazing. Rare Breed is readily available here, but I've had to have people send me the Rye from out of town. the Rye is my favorite. It's around $60. Not too crazy.
I don't know how I missed this. I have a bottle of Rare Breed (a gift from a friend) and, yeah, good stuff.

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2021-04-29, 19:49

I realized I haven't posted in here in years. I've only started really drinking in the last couple of years, and I've started drinking whiskey/bourbon more regularly as I find most other hard liquors aren't to my taste. Usually I like fun flavored ones even if they're not seen as 'good' or 'high-quality', so feel free to shame my tastes :P So here's my go-tos:

For "fun flavors to drink and mix", I like Jim Beam's flavored lineup. It's fun to collect flavored minis from the local store and go nuts trying them in various mixed drinks. The Red Stag (Black Cherry) is a classic; fun on its own, with soda or lemonade, and I like mixing it with brown sugar and then covering meat in it and grilling it. The Jim Beam Kentucky Fire or Fireball for cinnamon whiskey is also a solid choice for "cheap and fun".

Cask and Crew is a local Rochester bottler who I got introduced to through a local spirits expo. Their Walnut Toffee is sweet, probably too sweet for a lot of other people to use as a common sipper. I love sweet things so I'll sip it on its own. It's a great mixer though, I like doing an Old Fashioned with cardamom bitters instead of regular and this for the bourbon. Also fun to mix with lemonade and grenadine, or with apple cider (especially warm apple cider).

If I'm looking for a medium priced whiskey to sip or use in a mixer where I don't want the sweetness of the Walnut Toffee, and that I can find all over, Elijah Craig Small Batch is pretty nice. Adding a bit to recipes is awesome.

My fancy bourbon, I won't put this in a mixer and I want it when I want to sip something straight and really enjoy it, is Knob Creek 12 year. That's amazing stuff.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-04-29, 20:05

Picked up a bottle of Tin Cup 10 year. Eh, probably not gonna be a repeat purchase.