User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")
Page 15 of 33 First Previous 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-02-14, 13:33

Stranger Things returns...from Russia with love.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-02-20, 12:12

Hs anyone else been watching The Crown? My wife and I are in the first season, and absolutely love it! John Lithgow is a chameleon! The acting has thus far been brilliant, the story exceptional, and the character of Queen Elizabeth II is very approachable and relatable as a person. I honestly thought this show was going to bore me to death, but I have been very pleasantly engaged.

I especially love how they make Elizabeth a woman with real feelings and emotions and love, and not just some celebrity parading about with her nose in the air.

I've never been a fan of the whole English love for their royalty and all that, but this show has presented it so well that I can understand why they adore that woman so fondly.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2020-02-20, 18:00

Absolutely loved seasons 1 and 2. I haven't watched 3 yet but I find it weird that they did an entire cast switch for seasons 3 and 4 and are planning on it again for season 5 to change with the ages and eras.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-02-24, 11:58

I haven't made it far enough to see the cast switching, but I prefer it to makeup.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-02-24, 13:43

About the only series/episodic/fiction show I've watched in years, Better Call Saul had its fifth season premiere last night on AMC (and continues tonight at 9pm in its normal time-slot).

Oddly enough, I never watched Breaking Bad (which this show is a prequel to), so I know I'm missing some of the subtle tie-ins/references, but I'm able to get the big ones just fine.

It's an odd show that can manage to be so quirky/funny and menacing/brutal. There are two major plot lines carrying out and the one involving the McGill/Goodman character is usually quite funny, but the one involving the Mike Ehrmantraut(sp?) and the folks he runs into/works with is so unsettling and tense to watch. I'm just always braced for a gunshot or face-punch or some other violent act.

But good stuff, all around. A very engaging show that I just happened to watch the very first episode of years ago and got hooked, so I've followed ever since (although the past two seasons have had way too long of a gap between, like Stranger Things making it increasingly tough to stay engaged). Odd how traditional network shows can have 23-26 episodes a season, take 3-4 months off and be back in the fall for a whole new batch. But all these new cable or streaming shows (Better Call Saul, The Sopranos, Stranger Things, The Walking Dead, etc.) have these tiny 8-12 episode "seasons"/installments, and then take 9-18 months between each season/batch. I guess maybe they're focusing on the writing/production more than Murder She Wrote and Family Matters, I don't know. If that's the case, then I'm okay with it because - at least in the case of The Sopranos and Better Call Saul - it's worth it, and the work/effort shows (can't really say the same for the tiresome zombie apocalypse survivors and the shot-its-wad-three-years-ago 80's fest with the weird little girl and her bike-riding buddies...those two shows seem to be getting worse/off the rails with each new batch).

I think I heard somewhere that this is the final season, so I imagine the last 1-2 episodes will probably be done in some way to dovetail into what was the beginning of Breaking Bad. I figure a Bryan Cranston/Walter White cameo isn't even out of the question, as they're already using three major characters from that show (Saul Goodman, Mike Ehrmantraut, Gus Fring) as the basis for this one (plus quite a few other as well).

PS - I love Kim Wexler. But I fear/dread what's likely to come for the character, seeing as how she was never in BB. But the optimist in me is going to hope she just eventually tires of Jimmy/Saul's shenanigans and moves away (vs. being brutally murdered in the desert by Mexican drug cartel types). The latter will be heartbreaking, as she's really the only decent, normal character on the show. I hope she gets a happy, or even a neutral, wrap-up to her arc.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-02-24 at 14:00.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-02-24, 14:32

Better Call Saul is awesome! And it better be, considering it's from the creators of Breaking Bad, which is awesome!

We're watching it alongside The Crown and The Kalinski Method, which are also awesome.

It's interesting watching the development of Saul Goodman. Clearly he comes from a jaded past filled with corrupt hypocrites that lead him down the road to representing deadbeats and drug lords. I suspect that Kim's death/leaving will be a driving force toward that end, a place where the man just totally gives up and sells himself out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Oddly enough, I never watched Breaking Bad (which this show is a prequel to), so I know I'm missing some of the subtle tie-ins/references, but I'm able to get the big ones just fine.
You should watch it. Best TV drama ever conceived as far as I'm concerned.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-02-24 at 14:55.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-08, 18:58

Ah, I just saw this at Yahoo...seems there's going to be a TV series sequel to The Silence of the Lambs, one of my favorite movies ever.

Being totally honest, I actually have no plans to watch it because I know nothing could ever top the movie and I just don't want my thoughts/memories tweaked or sullied (which always happen when I reach out too far from the thing I love and try to take in an alternate spin on it; like that awful sequel series to The Exorcist that aired on Fox a few years ago; that stupid show actually made me mad, and my eye-rolls were heard four counties away).

I hope this isn't more of the same (a cheap, easy and uninspired retread and sequel-in-name-only, just trading on the names/events of a far better movie).

It's weird it took so long. This seems like the sort of thing that would've come about five or so years after the movie hit and was so popular.

But Clarice Starling is in my top-five all-time favorite movie characters* - right alongside Matt Hooper, Marion Ravenwood, Jimmy Conway and Ellen Ripley - but I kinda have problems seeing anyone other than Jodie Foster playing her. I thought she was absolute perfection.

Still, I love the movie - and character - so much, I may tune in to the premiere, just to get a sense of how it might be.

I had no idea this was even in the works, but I'm a bit out of the entertainment loop these days.

*Despite being born and raised in the South, it wasn't until Foster's portrayal that I realized just how much I loved a Southern accent. It was the first time I realized "okay, this actually quite lovely and endearing...and I shouldn't be trying so damn hard to conceal mine." It was a neat turning point for me, that I remember to this day. I could listen to Foster, as Starling, talk non-stop for hours.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2020-12-09, 04:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Hs anyone else been watching The Crown? My wife and I are in the first season, and absolutely love it! John Lithgow is a chameleon! The acting has thus far been brilliant, the story exceptional, and the character of Queen Elizabeth II is very approachable and relatable as a person. I honestly thought this show was going to bore me to death, but I have been very pleasantly engaged.

I especially love how they make Elizabeth a woman with real feelings and emotions and love, and not just some celebrity parading about with her nose in the air.

I've never been a fan of the whole English love for their royalty and all that, but this show has presented it so well that I can understand why they adore that woman so fondly.
Yep, love it.

The writing, casting, acting, and production are superb.

I reckon Paul should tune in for Season 4, just to see one of his favourite past vixens in a completely different guise.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-09, 04:52

Oh yeah? Who’s that? I have so many,

I don’t recall any British ones. Emma Thompson or Tamsin Greig, maybe? Kate Winslet? Keira Knightley? Those are about the only ones I think I might’ve cooed over/admired in the past who’d appear on such a show.

Cate Blanchett is Australian, Rebecca Ferguson is Swedish and Claudia Gerini is Italian. Any others I’ve ever mentioned are American. Hmmm...

I don’t wanna look it up, that’s too easy/no fun. Gimme a hint!
Mac+
9" monochrome

2020-12-09, 04:57

You want to believe.

She's American and the transformation is incredible!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-09, 05:04

Gillian Anderson?!

indeed.

Oh, I think she lives in England and does some movies and theater stuff there. I’ve seen her on talk shows in recent years with an accent. Didn’t know if that was a put-on. I guess if you live somewhere for a year or more you’d pick it up? I still never bought Madonna’s...that seemed a bit much, like someone in a high school play.

Did I get it right? My beloved Agent Scully herself playing a Royal or some other UK figure?

EDIT: oh wow, she’s Margaret Thatcher. Great hair/makeup work. Pretty solid job, from the pics I saw. I never would’ve thought to make that casting choice. Interesting.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2020-12-09, 05:16

Guess is correct.

She's not playing a royal, but is portraying a significant figure of the 80s in the UK.

If you're up for watching, now that you've guessed, then I recommend watching the following in order:
1. Official Trailer
2. Gillian Anderson discusses her transformation in becoming...

twitter
Mac+
9" monochrome

2020-12-09, 05:17

Oh man, I was too slow compiling my response.

Take a look at the videos Paul... her performance is sublime and goes beyond the physical make-up.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-09, 05:30

Thanks, I will.

EDIT: Holy smokes, that’s pretty impressive. The walk/posture and voice.

And in those real-life interview snippets, she’s more beautiful than I’ve ever seen her. Damn, she’s a vampire or something. I’ve not really seen her in a while, so I had no idea she’s apparently doing the Benjamin Button thing.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-12-09 at 05:45.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2020-12-09, 05:48

Just thinking out loud - I don't really follow the Award shows - but she deserves and Emmy or Golden Globe. I'd be surprised if she doesn't take something away.

From the YouTube comments in relation to portraying MT:
Meryl Streep: Oh yeah I did that woman proud
Gillian Anderson: Hold my beer

twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-09, 06:21

Thing is, I “see” Meryl Streep - and De Niro, etc. - when some of these huge, iconic actors take on the role of a famous person. Sometimes I think a lesser-known, more under-the-radar actor slides into certain roles in a way I don’t always buy when it’s a huge name doing it.

While I enjoyed The Aviator, all I saw was Leonardo DiCaprio dressed up in 40’s/50’s clothes, and not Howard Hughes. Same with Jack Nicholson in Hoffa. I only saw Nicholson in makeup, doing an accent.

It’s a balancing act...you gotta pull audiences in with someone they like to watch (it is show bu$iness, after all; not every decision gets to be of the artistic/creative type), but when the actor is as famous (or more so) than the public figure they’re portraying, there’s often a weird disconnect for me.

Maybe that’s just me and my lack of imagination.

Just from what little I’ve seen, I think I’d buy Anderson in the role more than Streep. That’s no comment on Streep’s obvious talents/abilities, of course. I just think some roles are a better fit for others. They disappear into the part better and you don’t see an “icon” play-acting.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2020-12-09, 07:02

Fair point - agree.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-12-09, 09:09

I finished the final season of The Crown a week ago and forgot to go find out who played Maggie. In the beginning her performance seemed almost a caricature; it was vaguely grating. But it was fascinating to see how the filmmakers depicted her term as PM.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-09, 12:35

I like in that clip how she bowed and said "your majesty". I was like "that's so not Dana Scully...".

They tend to fling out awards to anyone who transforms to such a degree...appearance, accent, weight, etc. And they especially like when attractive actors (male and female) dowdy themselves up or allow themselves to look less than their usual perfect selves for an Important Role™. Charlize Theron in Monster, Christian Bale in The Fighter, Matthew McConaughey in Dallas Buyers Club and about 375 other examples over the decades. Hollywood/showbiz loves to see their swans pretend to be "ugly ducklings" for a few hours. Nothing gets a good-looking actor on the nomination/award circuit like messing with their teeth, putting on 30-50 pounds, screwing with their hairline, aging themselves, etc.

So I'd say Ms. Anderson is a lock for at least a few trophies, simply for allowing the world to see her as not the absolute smoking babe she can't help but being, bless her heart.

Watching that trailer, it was kinda sad - and I don't know why - to see the Diana story shown. For some reason, I felt nothing but pity for her - I know that's so stupid, considering her status and how she willingly went into that life/world. But even as a youngster and watching that wedding on live TV with my grandma, I remember thinking "something just seems weird/off...".

She'd still be alive had she not thrown in with that bunch. Granted, she'd probably not be known/famous. But she wouldn't have died the way she did.

EDIT: Yes, I apparently reduced the Royal family to "that bunch".

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-12-09 at 13:01.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-11, 23:15

Just finished the final episode of The Queen's Gambit on Netflix. Next to Breaking Bad, this was the best running series that I have ever seen. Exceptional show, fun and engaging.

If you like chess (and I do, sometimes) then you will likely find this to be excellent.

For those who do not know of it, The Queen's Gambit is the story of a young, female chess player taught by her orphan-girl's school janitor. From start to finish it is superb, and ends with one of those rare moments of accomplishment that left me in tears.

I simply cannot say enough good things about it.

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-01-12 at 11:44.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-12, 09:02

I don't know, man...it sounds a bit lofty and high-minded to me.

Wouldn't you rather watch a semi-literate, vocal-frying skank with no original body parts remaining bang 20+ dudes (off camera, of course) for the chance at a rose and her *sob* lifelong, like, soulmate, while crying throughout every interview/recap because she just doesn't know what her heart wants?!

"Brandon, like, totally, has great dimples. But Chaz is rich af! And while Ellis is obviously gay, like, OMG did you see his car?! I do believe we could make a life together! Why am I crying again?"

I know quality programming when I see it, dammit.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-01-12 at 09:13.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2021-01-12, 12:34

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-14, 11:51

Another show I have been watching is Cobra Kai. If you were a fan of the original The Karate Kid (not the poorly done remake) then you will love this show. The further it goes along, the more original characters keep dropping into the plot, even from the Karate Kid 2.

The whole show has been a delight.

Also on Netflix.

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-01-14 at 12:36.
Dr. Bobsky

2021-01-14, 12:22

Shows I've recently enjoyed:

BBC/Netflix?:
Staged
Fleabag (old I know)

Amazon:
The Expanse (utterly impressive)
American Gods (it really isn't good, but I enjoy the surrealist aspects of it)

Netflix:
Discovery (CBS All access in the US, I guess)
Queen's Gambit
Cobra Kai
Dark
Dr. Bobsky

2021-01-14, 12:23

Gillian Anderson is American, but was basically raised in London as far as I can tell. Shes done far more British TV than American including X-files. And the Brits claim her...
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-14, 12:36

How far are you along on Cobra Kai?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-01-14, 15:21

Cobra Kai is shot here in Atlanta and while I know people who work on it I haven't seen it at all because I never saw Karate Kid!!!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-14, 15:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I never saw Karate Kid!!!
What?!?

That's like saying you never saw tar Wars!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-14, 16:52

Not quite.

I saw it once, upon initial release, and didn't like it at all.

I'll see your Karate Kid confession, drew, and will raise you...I new saw The Goonies.

And I walked out of E.T. (only seeing it, years later, on TV).

Top that level of child-of-the-80's/pop culture heresy, puddingheads.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-14, 16:54

Yeah, well I didn't see Alien until the late 90's—when I was closing in on 30!