AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

iBook opinions

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iBook opinions
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
dfj225

2004-07-19, 09:12

Hello everyone,

Let me start by saying that I am a Windows XP user at home but currently use Mac OS X at work. I am looking into buying a 12" iBook for home and was wondering what opinions people have about it. Also, I haven't had a chance to use the 12" for extended periods of time and I one of the things I wonder about is screen size and if 12" seems just too small. Also, I would like to be able to carry it with me everywhere I go without much protection. For example, I would just like to be able to place it in my book bag (with other books or objects) and not really have to worry about it. How have others fared treating their iBook like this? Also, I'm trying to keep the price of the iBook relatively low (the $1000 starting price for students seems pretty good to me) but I heard that you really should upgrade the ram to 512 mb or OS X won't be so great to use. Another area of concern is the hard drive. I know on laptops that part often takes the most abuse and is the part that is most likely to fail.

Well, thanks in advance for all the wealth of information that I am sure to get.

~doug
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-19, 09:24

I think the iBooks are great. In many ways, my favorite Apple product (great-looking, sturdy, clean and elegant, everything you need for a great price).

I don't know about the 12". I think I could certainly do it. Some couldn't. In the iBooks, I do prefer the 12" to the 14". Really small and compact. And they're made quite rugged. I don't think you'd have a problem putting it into your backpack. They're kinda made with that in mind (students, education, etc.).

It currently ships with 256MB of RAM, and you could either add a 256MB or 512MB DIMM to it, bringing it to 512MB or 768MB. I'd opt for the latter, with Tiger on the horizon and apps only getting more robust and power-hungry.

And I'm not sure on the hard drive thing. I don't know if that's a known, widely-experienced issue on iBooks or PowerBooks (bad hard drives). No one I know - including myself - has run into this with an Apple laptop.

White blotches on the display, faulty latches, bad logic boards, uneven gaps, etc. yeah. But not bad hard drives!

Just being silly. I think the current crop of Apple laptops seem to have all those issues ironed out. I'd recommend any iBook to a switcher, definitely. The whole 12" vs. something larger thing is quite subjective, so I can't speak to that.

I'd have a 12" iBook or PowerBook in a heartbeat, but my peepers are really good, so...

Great education price (as you said) and you get Ethernet, modem, FireWire, USB 2.0, AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth capability, a nice keyboard, great screen, slot-loading combo drive (a speedy one, too). You'll have OS X Panther pre-loaded, as well as iLife 04, Safari, Mail, etc. What's there not to love?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-19, 09:35

I owned a 12" iBook about a year ago. My main complaint was speed, but now that they have a much faster G4 processor, that shouldn't be such a big concern. Here's what I have to say about your concerns:

Screen size: I thought it would be too small as well. I got used to it pretty quickly though. Yes, when using a larger monitor I realized how small my iBook's screen was, but since it runs a useful resolution of 1024x768, it was good anyway.

Carrying protection: I carried mine in a separate compartment in my backpack. My backpack has two large compartments as well as several small ones. The main one was for my books and the secondary one, slightly smaller than the main one, held the iBook. For protection against scratches, I used the Radtech PowerSleevz. It's just a simple microfiber cloth that the iBook fits inside. Pretty slick, although a bit pricey. I might recommend a neoprene case (Marware makes plenty of these) if you want a little extra protection, but I preferred to keep it in my backpack instead of having a separate laptop bag. Dedicated laptop bags and backpacks are really expensive too.

RAM: You need to upgrade your memory from the get-go. My iBook only came with 128 MB, which was totally unusable. Applications took ten seconds to launch, and if I tried to open too many at once, I was looking at a frozen screen for three minutes unless I force quit some to allow others to open. It just doesn't work with so little RAM. Yours will come with 256 MB, but that's still not enough. You want at least 512 MB, which means adding an extra 256 MB module.

Apple charges too much for this upgrade. You can buy a third-party RAM module and install it yourself, if you also get a Phillips-00 screwdriver. A good place to buy from is Crucial, which has a 256 MB module for a bit over $50 and a 512 MB module for about $140. Yeah, RAM is more expensive now than it was two years ago, but that's life. Another option is NewEgg.com, which sells a LOT of stuff for generally a lower price, and they still have excellent service. You do have to know exactly what you're looking for though, they won't give you a drop down menu to show only RAM for an iBook G4. By the way, NewEgg sells the Crucial 512 MB module for $114. You can also get a SimpleTech 512 MB (another good brand) for $95, or a Corsair 512 MB for $99. Those are pretty good deals - if you think you're up to installing it yourself, get one of those modules from NewEgg and save yourself some money while also upping your total RAM to 768 MB.

The hard drive should be fine. I never had problems with mine. I would recommend upgrading it before purchase, though, because that's one thing you can't change once you get it. At least with RAM, you can get a little extra now and then add more later, but you can't upgrade the hard drive. $75 is well worth it to double your capacity from 30 GB to 60 GB, and if you don't want to do that, then there's no reason to skip the opportunity to at least go to 40 GB for just $25.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2004-07-19, 12:41

I have a 12" powerbook. You will want some sort of padding for the iBook. I use a pillowcase folded in quarters, and put my powerbook in that. It's cheap, but it works.

With regard to the RAM, the built-in 256 megs will work pretty well, but gets slow when there are lots of programs open. You will want to upgrade it eventually, but it's not a necessity.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-07-19, 13:26

I invested in the Brenthaven laptop-backpack designed for Apple, because I will eventually be taking my 12" PowerBook to Europe and other places. The backpack is extremely well-made, well-padded, well-designed; and if you don't have to carry 'too' many books, there'd be room for those, as well as other stuff.

I think I paid $200 for the backpack; but to me it's worth the peace of mind to know that my lovely little powerbook is safe and sound at all times.

In the demo given to Apple executives by Brenthaven, the demo-guy took one of the exec's powerbook, put it in the backpack, and threw the backpack across the room. Powerbook came out fine. EEK!
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-07-19, 14:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol
In the demo given to Apple executives by Brenthaven, the demo-guy took one of the exec's powerbook, put it in the backpack, and threw the backpack across the room. Powerbook came out fine. EEK!
:wow:

but there is only one test that I would truly be impressed with. . . anti-theft.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-19, 14:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by \/\/ickes
:wow:

but there is only one test that I would truly be impressed with. . . anti-theft.
That's what cement is for.
dfj225

2004-07-22, 09:28

Well, I just thought that I would update everyone to know that I ordered my iBook (and new iPod) the other day. I'm pretty excited and I've only heard good things about the iBook so I don't think I will dissappointed. As far as other things that I should buy, I'm probably going to order a 256 RAM chip and maybe the screenSavRz from Radtech. I'm guessing that when the iBook closes, the screen is close enough to the keyboard to pickup fingerprints or other grime. I really hate when my screens get stuff on them, so I guess the cloth is a good idea. I might also buy some sort of sleeve when I start classes again. I think I've seen people that have sleeves that look like they have some padding to them, but still allow the iBook to slip in and out easily. Any idea who sells them?

Thanks for all the input -- I'm sure I will enjoy my new iBook.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-22, 09:49

I love the stuff at Booq. Mind you, I don't own one, I just think they look great.

I own the MacCase sleeve for my PowerBook, which I then slip into my backpack. It's very padded and soft, with a velcro flip-top closing. Nothing fancy, but nice and poochy enough to make me feel good about sticking my PowerBook into a regular ol' backpack. Owned it since November, never a single problem...
dfj225

2004-07-22, 09:56

Bingo - the MacCase sleeve is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I'm sure there are other brands but the one you pointed out seems to be pretty good.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-22, 10:14

If you're interested in a Mac laptop, I don't think there's any better value than the 14" iBook, now that they have G4 processors in them. They are more durable than any of the Powerbooks, have very similar performance characteristics, and are quite a bit less expensive.

Take a look here before you buy as you might be able to get an even better deal than from the standard store.

...into the light of a dark black night.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-22, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfj225
Bingo - the MacCase sleeve is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I'm sure there are other brands but the one you pointed out seems to be pretty good.
I have no complaints. It's plain and kinda simple-looking, but, then again, it's not really a "going to be seen" kind of thing anyway. It sits in a backpack and holds my precious.

Ugh...that was the first - and, by damn, LAST - attempt at any LOTR quip. I think I'm gonna be sick...must sit down...dizzy...not feeling quite right...

I was momentarily possessed by a Tolkien geek...only slightly preferable to a Star Trek one.

staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2004-07-22, 11:22

Quote:
I'm guessing that when the iBook closes, the screen is close enough to the keyboard to pickup fingerprints or other grime.
Not really, but it does attract dust like nothing else you've ever seen, especially if you live around heavy smokers or cats. Giving it a wipe with something non-static and soft every once in a while is kind-of necessary...
Zodiac
Shiny, Musky, Fleshy Member

2004-07-22, 14:19

you'll love the 12" ibook. I was just using one recently and I'll tell ya, it is awesome!
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2004-07-27, 01:57

the 12inch ibook is great. its very durable, you wont be worried to throw it into your backpack with all your stuff. its also a perfect size for a laptop, small and portable.

some people might suggest you get the 14inch for the bigger screen, although true the screen is bigger but the resolution is still the same, 1024x768. so you dont gain any workspace just everything looks bigger.

now the price of the 12inch... its just a really good deal, you will feel as if you ripped apple off

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-07-27, 02:20

I just bought a 12" combo iBook three weeks ago as a temporary replacement for my dead 12" PowerBook.

Battery life just for general email/web browsing/Im'ing is about four hours (without changing the brightness).
It's easy to scratch the white surface of this thing - I'm not talking big scratches from misuse, just tiny very fine scratches from everyday use. It's no big deal, kinda like how easy it is to scratch an iPod.

It's very solid, so it should hold up well during your travels.
I use the Kensington Saddleback Pro for my PowerBook and now my iBook. It's a backpack style computer bag which is perfect for me since I ride my bike to and from work (but it also has a handle and removable strap, so you don't have to carry it strictly as a backpack).
It's also got a very cool, semi-hidden drawer in the bottom of it where you can store the AC adapter and other stuff (cellphone, keys, sunglasses, etc.)

silas_pc

2004-07-27, 02:56

I have a 12" iBook, I added a 60 gig hard disk and bluetooth with my BTO and I couldn't be happier. I carried mine around in my backpack for about 8 weeks before I decided I would be better off getting a seperate bag for the iBook and that was _after_ my drink bottle leaked in my bag and the iBook survived.

If you are afraid of getting grease on your screen from the keyboard, don't be, when you shut the lid you can look through and still see the other side.

The screen is kind of small, everyone at school says I'm crazy using such a small screen, but my screen is sharper, brighter, clearer than all of their screens and my battery lasts for 5-6 hours doing normal web email word stuff and add itunes or dvd and that comes down to about 4 hours.

Most PCs (and powerbooks) have to plug in during every class or so, and some of their batteries are only good as a UPS, for 1/2 an hour. When I can get a full day's use from one charge you can just watch as all of them fight for the limited space around the powerpoints. Mainly I fight for the ethernet jacks 'cause my school doesn't have Wi-fi. But my soon-to-be airport express should solve that soon.
dfj225

2004-07-27, 08:41

From what I've been hearing, iBooks are pretty tough little computers. I'm glad yours survived the spill.

I think the screen size will be fine for me. I did look at one in a store before I purchased, and it seemed like enough space for me to work with. Right now, my old laptop has a 14" screen but only has a resolution of 800x600 so the iBook will definetly be an improvement over that.

I'm glad that the iBook's charge lasts so long. It is annoying when you have a laptop but still need to find somewhere to plug in all the time. Luckily for me, my school has wi-fi in almost every building so it should be fun to get some use out of that.
thequicksilver

Send a message via AIM to thequicksilver Send a message via MSN to thequicksilver Send a message via Skype™ to thequicksilver 
2004-07-27, 16:14

Have one here, 12" current model. Love it. Recommend it.

Have a Tucano Second Skin for it which is great for slipping inside a backpack -0 http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObje...10.3.29.1.13.0 - ideal for my needs (student) and not too hard on the wallet.
applenut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-07-27, 16:17

the iBook is Apple's best computer IMO. It really compares strongly with the competition, more so than any other product.

If i were choosing, it'd be tough....my brother has the 12 inch which is built really well, and just a really nice machine. But, even though the rez is the same, the larger screen would be tempting.

Depends on what you need it for. I'd get tired of the 12 inch screen.

But, congrats on the iBook. You'll be happy.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-07-27, 21:29

Really dig my 12" iBook, too. I can only wish for a Superdrive, and that's about it.

14" is just too big for where I need to take it. 12" is effectively no bigger than a spiral notebook, and easily goes everywhere with me.

... hmm, I really don't have much more to say! 12" all the way!
usurp

2004-07-28, 00:58

my brother just got his 12inch PowerBook in the mail yesterday... its a great machine and all but it didn't feel as comfortable as an iBook. With the Pbook i would be worried to trash it around, or bump it anywhere. The iBook for some reason always felt more secure.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
EDS66

2004-07-28, 20:38

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Let me start by saying that I am a Windows XP user at home but currently use Mac OS X at work. I am looking into buying a 12" iBook for home and was wondering what opinions people have about it. Also, I haven't had a chance to use the 12" for extended periods of time and I one of the things I wonder about is screen size and if 12" seems just too small. Also, I would like to be able to carry it with me everywhere I go without much protection. For example, I would just like to be able to place it in my book bag (with other books or objects) and not really have to worry about it. How have others fared treating their iBook like this? Also, I'm trying to keep the price of the iBook relatively low (the $1000 starting price for students seems pretty good to me) but I heard that you really should upgrade the ram to 512 mb or OS X won't be so great to use. Another area of concern is the hard drive. I know on laptops that part often takes the most abuse and is the part that is most likely to fail.

Well, thanks in advance for all the wealth of information that I am sure to get.

~doug
I just got a 17-inch PowerBook, so it is now hard for me to endorse those puny 12-inch machines

Jokes aside, I love the 12-inch iBook. The G4 chip in it is identical to the one that PowerBooks ship with, the chassis is much more durable and forgiving of rough handling, and the keyboard is much improved over the older dinky one that iBooks used to ship with.

And the price! Nothing beats the 12-inch 1Ghz iBook these days in terms of price/performance in my opinion. Get it and feel good about it. Boost the RAM, though; your iBook will thank you.

Last edited by EDS66 : 2004-07-28 at 21:04.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-07-28, 20:57

What's this "I-book" of which you speak?
EDS66

2004-07-28, 21:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
What's this "I-book" of which you speak?
My bad. Dashes removed. I've begun to hyphenate everything from Apple with the "i" prefix.
usurp

2004-07-29, 01:16

how is the new ibook keyboards different? my G3 700mhz ibooks keyboard was weird, sometimes when i typed the edge of a finger or two would scrape under a button above.

for example if i pressed k sometimes, when the finger is back on the way up off the button press, it slightly scrapes the bottom/edge of the i button on the way up. a few times i have managed to pop out the buttons like that. has the keyboard been fixed so that doesnt happen anymore?

does it make sense?

staph
Microbial member

2004-07-29, 02:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurp
how is the new ibook keyboards different? my G3 700mhz ibooks keyboard was weird, sometimes when i typed the edge of a finger or two would scrape under a button above.

for example if i pressed k sometimes, when the finger is back on the way up off the button press, it slightly scrapes the bottom/edge of the i button on the way up. a few times i have managed to pop out the buttons like that. has the keyboard been fixed so that doesnt happen anymore?

does it make sense?
It's a bit more solid, and possibly very slightly more clicky. I don't get the weird fingernail thing, and I used to on my last-rev G3 iBook.
usurp

2004-07-29, 05:29

cool so my fingers arent deformed
staph
Microbial member

2004-07-29, 06:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurp
cool so my fingers arent deformed
Let's not jump to conclusions here —you haven't seen my fingers!
dfj225

2004-08-01, 08:28

Well, I thought I would just update and let everyone know that my iBook finally came. In fact, I am posting from it right now. So far I really love this little guy. It is a great size, pretty fast (I ended up installing a 256 MB RAM chip), and I think the screen is great. I really am surprised by how wonderful the screen is on this thing, I think the quality is much higher than that of most other notebooks. Thanks for all the help with this, I'm sure my iBook will give me many years of happy service.