AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Intel iBook in Jan...?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Intel iBook in Jan...?
Page 14 of 14 First Previous 10 11 12 13 [14]  Thread Tools
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-01-08, 14:34

I would like to see Apple axe the whole PBook and iBook distinction, which IMHO is just reason for Apple to increase the price spread between the two. If they went to four or five notebooks without necessarily a "pro" distinction we would be better off.

(x)book 12"
(x)book 13"-14" widescreen
(x)book 15"
(x)book 17"

The specs would get progressively better as the screen size increases.
And make them all available in either iPod white or graphite. (pic posted by EmC)
Pierre

2006-01-08, 14:40

Nice.. that would be really cool. Yet, I still think Applle will have a pro line. Never know though.

Less than two days!
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-01-08, 15:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre
Yet, I still think Applle will have a pro line. Never know though.
Probably, but I'm thinking that 98% of the people out there don't need a Firewire 800 port or other "Pro" features in a laptop.

The 17" could be very much a pro laptop in people's eyes. Who knows?

BTW, Apple has one 'L' Pierre
ZachPruckowski

2006-01-08, 17:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre
Nice.. that would be really cool. Yet, I still think Apple will have a pro line. Never know though.

Less than two days!

I think they need a pro-line, because a lot of the stuff on PowerBooks is totally wasted on consumers who just want a basic laptop. I mean, I agree with FW800 being pointless to me. Videocard is always nice, but the bigger HDs, the extra slots, and the extra ports are totally useless for a consumer (usually). I've got two USB ports and a FW400 on my iBook, and that's all a mobile consumer needs. The difference between PowerBooks and iBooks is that PowerBooks could be a desktop replacement, and iBooks really aren't, and don't try to be. You can't combine those lines and make the distinction on size, at least IMO.
rminkler

2006-01-08, 19:00

While I agree that ibook level specs are enough for the average comsumer, I think that if you give larger harddrives and more USB ports to consumers, they will be used and appreciated... Furthermore, how much can it cost apple to put a firewire 800 port and several USB ports? I assume that the USB ports cost next to nothing (and they don't all have to have individual controllers) and firewire 800 makes sense in the same way that ditching serial and parallel ports made sense (create a market for firewire 800 devices, remove next to no functionality)...

I understand that apple has an obligation to differentiate it's pro line from it's consumer line right now, but still.
ZachPruckowski

2006-01-08, 21:57

Apple wants to make money off that distinction, and I don't blame them. Currently, my iMac's FW400 is unused, and unless I buy a bigger HD on FW to back stuff up (or just get stuff off the laptop I don't use much), it won't be. The average consumer (I'm above-average in my needs) doesn't need a better FireWire port, and having more USB ports is silly, because the only time you'd use them is at the desk, when you can just as easily have a hub. My sister will be looking for a basic laptop to take to college this spring, and while she'll want a 14-15 inch one, she won't want it to be styled with PowerBook-esque features (she won't need them) and price will be important. She's a pretty average consumer, right smack dab in the middle of Apple's ideal market for iBooks.