Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Joe Rogan calls out Carlos Mencia on stage, Malarchuk-quality PWNAGE ensues

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Joe Rogan calls out Carlos Mencia on stage, Malarchuk-quality PWNAGE ensues
murbot
Hoonigan

2007-02-19, 11:40

I'll admit I'm not really that knowledgeable on Carlos Mencia, but I have heard a few things about him stealing jokes in the past. Nothing like this, though... wow. Apparently Joe Rogan has had enough of the guy doing this and decided it was time to confront him on stage.

After Joe did his set at the Comedy Store, he introduced the next comic, Kirk Fox, saying that he opened on the road for "Carlos Menstealia" - the name they have for him there. "Carlos" was there and he came on a minute later, took the mic from Kirk, and said Joe was too much of a pussy to say that shit to his face. Errrrrr.... bad idea.

(BTW, I have "Carlos" in quotes because Joe says they lived together and were friends in 1994, and he knows that NED is actually half german and half honduran, and Carlos Mencia is a made up name. He's not even mexican. )

Joe Rogan vs. Carlos Mencia

You can get some more detailed info from Joe's site about this and get a little more background: JoeRogan.net Scroll down a few pages to this story and work your way up.

Hilarious shit. I know pscates will love it, I'm pretty sure I've read some strong hatred of "Ned" from him here in the past.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-02-19, 11:53

Yeah I watched this a couple of days ago and I have to say that I enjoyed the "outing" of someone who was apparently considered a "material theif" by most of the comedians. Getting banned from the store by Pauly and the bros wasn't cool.

/Your last name is Garelli??

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-02-19, 11:55

Ha...yeah, I saw this last week on some site. It's great.

I've never liked Carlos Mencia. Not that he "offends" me (he's too much of a hack putz to offend me with his "cutting-edge" insights), it's just that his stuff is so obvious and lame. Yet, he gets a cable show, hosting gigs, thrown into the spotlight, etc.

I've read a bunch of things about other comedians who despise him: George Lopez and quite a few lesser-known working standups swear that he steals/copies.

Even if he doesn't, he's still not funny. The worst delivery and stage presence ever, IMO. I first saw him about two or so years ago, on a Comedy Central "standup spotlight" thing one Friday night. He just went on and on about "not being politically correct" and so forth. And "we have to talk about this stuff, people...I can say it, it shouldn't bother anyone!". And he'd say just one stupid, outrageous thing after another, blatantly going for "shock value"...and then pat himself on the back for two minutes for "having the balls to say it". Got really old after about 10-15 minutes. Ever since then, when I see him, he's still doing a variation on that...still ham-handedly "pushing the envelope", even though he's really not.

How this kept from coming to blows is amazing, but Joe Rogan's stock just went up in my book. I'm not a huge fan of his either, but if it's a choice between him and Carlos...

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-02-19, 20:01

N-I-C-E

I love it when unoriginal pilfering fuckheads get caught stealing other people's ideas and work. Nothing worse than a plagiarizing weasel who doesn't have the balls to make their own stuff and put it out there. It's called fear of rejection, so they just find the stuff other people have made (that worked) and use it as their own. Anyone in the creative arts or entertainment business who does this deserves a massive humiliation like this one. Great to see it actually happened for once.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2007-02-19, 20:26

At least if he's going to steal material, he could have stolen something that was funny. I never found his show funny.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-02-19, 22:20

I am with Joe Rogan all the way on this one...

Did you guys see the Digg article recently where there is an mp3 of Mencia doing a joke in a radio interview, and after the interview (which was totally about this whole spat) the DJ says that Mencia is now banned from the radio show. Prior to that they had tapes of Joe Rogan calling Mencia a liar, and Mencia saying that he feels sorry for Joe, and Joe admires him and so on.. bla bla bla... It all seemed to be going Mencia's way and I was a bit peeved. But once Mencia got off the air it all changed.

The DJ didn't want to call him out on air, as that would have been embarressing, and uncool, but the one joke that Mencia used in that interview was actually one that he knew the origin of, and he confirmed with a sigh that Mencia stole it, and consequently they would have nothing to do with him anymore. Pwned! Sweet!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-02-19, 22:22

Nope, linkage please sirrah~

Wait, found it!

Last edited by drewprops : 2007-02-19 at 22:36.
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2007-02-19, 22:59

Whatever happened to:

"Good artists borrow, great artists steal!"

Just saying is all...

Anyway, I've only seen that one Mencia ddd video which I thought was pretty funny.

I like the fact that this was resolved with pwnage rather than litigation, the victims get vindication, the crowd gets a great show, and Mencia gets a reality check. Everyone wins
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-02-19, 23:10

Wow, the radio thing is especially cutting because the host made nice all the way through and only dropped the bomb after Mencia hung up.

Joe would do well to begin to modify his commentary in the next week because the point has been made. If he continues to push this he might eventually turn off the people who currently sympathize with him. Allowing OTHERS to take up the push (instead of being the President of the Club) could potentially give him some powerful influence over the next five years... make him more of a critic of the comedy industry.

Unfortunately for Mencia, he'll always be held to a MUCH higher standard from this point forward. Even if he does originate a joke there's a good chance it's been done by somebody, somewhere at sometime. It's virtually impossible to create anything truly original.

And Joe should watch out for that charge as well... Mencia and his buddies (including people higher up the ladder who support him) will be looking to bust Rogan for lifting somebody else's material.

Captain Drew on Twitter
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2007-02-20, 02:31

I heard that Carlos Mencia's comedy routines generally consist of him getting up on stage and saying, "Niggers spics wetbacks darkies gooks jews wetbacks honkeys dagos spics niggers kikes spics spics!" Or something like that.

Just something I heard.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2007-02-20, 03:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Just something I heard.
I saw that episode too.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-02-20, 07:38

Where's Don Rickles when we need him?
He made you feel like an idiot to be too politically correct.
Comedy routines that disabuse racial epitaphs are ages old, allow healthy discussion without fear.

Captain Drew on Twitter