So, Macworld is on Tuesday.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
So, Macworld is on Tuesday.
Page 1 of 5 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2009-01-03, 12:47

Yeh, surprise. As Satchmo said in the other thread, it seems to be pretty subdued, not a lot being said about anything etc. But, it'd still be nice to hear what you think is gonna be announced. There is definitely going to be something, we just don't know what it is yet! AI points to banners that have been covered up, so i'm fairly sure theres something to hide

My predictions

- News about Steve Jobs and maybe announcing Schildog as his replacement
- Extension of the new ACDs across the board
- Mini upgrades
- iLife/iWork

and of course, the date of Snow Leopard release, I think.

Anyone else?

PS: I mean the keynote is on Tuesday.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-01-03, 13:00

Well, we know the iMac and Mac mini are getting upgrades soon, but I wouldn't be surprise if those come at a separate event in late January or February, if any event at all. Extending the ACDs also doesn't sound very presentation-worthy.

Snow Leopard: it'd be the first time they announce a specific OS X release date so early. I do however see them doing a demo showing off the new Exchange-integrated Mail, Address Book and iCal, the new Cocoa Finder (OMG FASTAH BETTAH DIFFAHRENT ), QuickTime X and maybe another bullet point feature or two.

The rest I agree with. iLife & iWork haven't been updated in one and a half years; it's time. And it's also time to announce something or other about Apple's management, even if it's just yet another "rumors of Jobs's health issues have been greatly exaggerated".

What won't happen? A Mac Tablet, a Mac netbook, an xMax or any of the other bullshit you keep reading about on AppleInsider before every single freaking Apple event.

All in all, nothing too exciting (although I am looking forward to the next iWork release). But then, Apple's current line-up is rather solid.

nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2009-01-03, 13:04

I absolutely NEED a new Mac Pro (as i am fed up using my mums iMac for the last couple of months). But i have a horrible feeling that since those fancy new Intel processors have been delayed a bit, we won't see new Mac Pros.

Unfortunately for me i think we will see a small hardware (computer) update and this will mainly revolve around software. We might see a new Mini, a bump to the iMacs and a 17" MacBook Pro, but i would think it is unlikely that any other updates for iPhones or iPods.

Maybe an AppleTV and Time-capsule update, but i always think of those as accessories really.

New iLife and a preview of Snow Leopard, with updates a hint of updates to all Apple Software.

I would love to hear something about Mac Pros and Displays but honestly i have been hoping for these for so long now, i have given up hope.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-01-03, 13:20

- New Mac mini (yay! It's only about time)
- New LED 20" and 30" displays (to match the 24")
- 17" MacBook Pro now matches the 15"
- Possible iMac speed bumps/hard drive boosts?

(the 17" MBP and iMac-related things will most likely be mentioned via press release and simply appear on Apple's site following the keynote; I don't think Phil will spend valuable keynote time on either of these). The Mac mini and new displays (since they kinda go together) will take center stage.

- iLife '09
- iWork '09

- New Apple store opening in Chattanooga, Tennessee (okay, I'm just throwing that out there for wishful thinking)

I do believe there will be some brand new product, either software or hardware. Something Multi-Touch related (a new device, which will be the "one more thing"), or simply a new Apple home-grown app(s) for iPhone and iPod touch (and, of course, the new device, if it is announced).

We'll see something brand new, which isn't an update or revamp of an existing product...

thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2009-01-03, 13:30

Updated Mini.
iLife 09.
iWork 09.
Snow Leopard release date.

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-01-03, 13:35

No Snow Leopard news... that'll be saved for WWDC

Lots of iPhone status report and sales figures / App Store figures.

iLife '09
iWork '09

new iMac
new mini / Apple TV3
new ACD

And instead of Schiller appearing on iChat during a Stevenote, Phil will find an excuse to fire up iChat in order for Steve to appear by video for a 'one more thing'... updated unibody MBP17/iPhone nano

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-01-03, 13:39

Ha...I didn't think about that, but yeah. That would be a nice thing to see...a bit of "turn the tables" action, and have Phil, from the stage, hooking up with Steve (offsite) via iChat for a final "one more thing"...

Possible, sure (but I don't think it'll be for a 17" UniBody MacBook Pro...that, in itself, isn't very exciting or groundbreaking simply because we already know a) what it'll look like, and b) the kind of specs it'll have, based on the new 15" model). Had the 15" not been updated a few months ago, and they could do both pro models together at Macworld, then yeah. But not now; I don't see it. The 17" will be a press release, or a quick mention by Phil via a slide or two ("...and we're updating our 17" MacBook Pro today. *click* See? There it is...looks nice, huh? And they'll be on display for you to see in the Apple booth following the presentation. Okay, now on to...").

But a new iPhone nano (which I don't believe), the new Mac mini or some completely new device (not gonna say the "t" word... ), that would be a little more believable and worthy of a "one more thing" (and certainly an iChat-based appearance by Steve).

Miko
Veteran Member

2009-01-03, 14:16

Something tells me that there is going to be a iPhone related announcement of some sort I mean it is only the biggest consumer product Apple has going right now, but it's not a Mac so???

nano?
iSight?
TomTom navigation to counter the nuviphone?

But then again I don't see them creating or needing another 6 months buzz until the next release.

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2009-01-03, 15:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Ha...I didn't think about that, but yeah. That would be a nice thing to see...a bit of "turn the tables" action, and have Phil, from the stage, hooking up with Steve (offsite) via iChat for a final "one more thing"...
Which will open up rampant further speculation - "Video was filmed 10 months ago! Look, he's not even wearing a shirt, its sunny out! He's definitely dead!". But would still be awesome.

nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2009-01-03, 15:27

Honestly if it was a new touch device, i reckon Steve would be doing the keynote. I don't want to get into the whole "Why isn't Steve doing the Keynote topic??" but that is something that you wouldn't be able to stop him presenting.

WWDC is a bit late for Snow Leopard, isn't it. I mean June 09?? I reckon they will release it before then to ensure that they beat Microsoft's new Windows.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-01-03, 15:40

Top 10 rumors according to Fortune. Nothing surprising.

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2009-01-03, 17:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb View Post
new mini / Apple TV3
I think the merger of these two products could happen. The AppleTV hasn't exactly been a home run and the long awaited Mac mini needs more than just upgraded specs, to breathe life into it. Perhaps the lengthy time between Mac mini upgrades was to redesign it with more media-like functionality.

I'd be surprised to see an iPhone Nano or tablet device so early in 2009.
Here's a longshot...what about an Apple branded LED TV? Wasn't that thrown about a few months ago?

noleli2

2009-01-03, 18:26

I sure hope #7 in the Fortune list (32 GB iPhone) is right!

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-01-03, 18:57

So let me get this straight, Apple is still doing a Keynote... but it will be done by Schiller... and there is no presence on the show floor from Apple any longer (i.e. they pulled the "mega-booth"). Is that correct? Will the Schill-note be streamed? I really hope that iWork-turned-cloud-suite rumor is bogus. That would majorly suck.

...into the light of a dark black night.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2009-01-03, 18:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
So let me get this straight, Apple is still doing a Keynote... but it will be done by Schiller... and there is no presence on the show floor from Apple any longer (i.e. they pulled the "mega-booth"). Is that correct? Will the Schill-note be streamed?
The keynote will be from Schiller, yes, but Apple still has a giant booth this year. They just won't have one next year. I doubt the keynote will be streamed.

If Phil doing the keynote is really about making people comfortable with the idea of Apple without Jobs, I sort of expect a major announcement of some sort. If Phil's only doing it because Steve is tired of it, though, I wouldn't expect much. I'm just not sure which theory I believe more.

mactoids

2009-01-03, 23:15

I want Apple to announce an anodized aluminum mouse that better matches the metal keyboard. Okay, so it's a small wish - but I want it anyway

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-01-03, 23:42

Hey, there's always possibility of my black-key, backlit keyboard!

Now is as good a time as any, with the lone aluminum/white holdout (the Mac mini) most likely being updated and probably brought in line with all the other stuff (black plastic accents, like the iMacs, notebooks and new 24" LED display).

And it's a product that would be used/paired with the new mini, so...

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-01-03, 23:59

I just want a new Mini. Small request. Maybe they listened.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-01-04, 00:20

I think you'll get your wish! Way too much talk and rumblings for it not to happen.

I almost think Apple did plan to just off the thing during the past 6-12 months (hence the 16-plus months of total neglect), but I think this recent economic situation might've caused them to re-think things a bit, simply from a "we have to have something under $1,000..." standpoint.

I may be way off (wouldn't be the first time), but it goes a long way toward explaining why you didn't hear anything about the Mac mini throughout all of 2008 until just a few months ago. It was almost as if the thing didn't even exist. It was never talked about, promoted, updated, etc. It was given, even at the time, some so-so specs/components, and then stuck with them for a ridiculous long time (a year-and-a-half, basically).

I certainly assumed its days were numbered!

Maybe they realized not everyone is going to throw $1,299 at a new computer? And if they can squeeze all that performance into something the size of the a MacBook (with a screen and keyboard attached and a big battery taking up a good bit of space; three things they don't have to include or make room for with a desktop Mac mini), then they sure as hell can fit it into something 6-7" square and 3x the height of the MacBook!

Maybe they just have more "incentive" now than they did a year ago? Maybe they realize a decently-spec'd $599 Mac (with the latest Intel and nVidia guts) would indeed act as a "gateway Mac" for regular people who aren't accustomed to dropping $1,000+ on a computer (no matter how good they might be, and how awesome the OS is, etc.).

I'm not even in the market for anything and I'm excited about the possible comeback of this little guy!

It'll be my "switcher bait" throughout '09...

The next time my Mom, sister or buddies are pulling their hair out about their PCs (and they do/will), I'll have something to point them to with a straight face. And they won't be able to pull out the old "but I don't have $1,200 to spend on a new computer" chestnut either.

I'll sell three of these things by March, just watch...

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-01-04, 00:48

Yeah, I hope you're right about it. I'm one of the guys who bought one last year despite the lack of love from Apple. Sure would be nice to replace mine and pass mine on to my daughter.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Axl

2009-01-04, 07:36

Tabbed Finder window in 10.6

MBHockey
skates=grafs

2009-01-04, 10:54

I'm hoping for CPU/HD/GPU-bumped iMacs. I held off for Christmas thinking it'd be a bad time to purchase one and would like to see my patience rewarded

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2009-01-04, 10:59

I believe I read something about a new iPod Shuffle.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-01-04, 11:29

From 9to5Mac: Apple to unveil Unibody 17" MacBook Pro, with non-removable (but "longer-lasting") battery.

Questions (assuming it's true):

- Is this anything close to a good, smart idea?
- Why just the 17" and not the others, now that they're all sharing the same general design and manufacturing process?
- Aren't the 17" models most likely to be used by true A/V and design professionals, who tend to keep extra batteries around out of necessity (and aren't the types who will be happy with shipping their machines off to Apple for "battery replacement" in the middle of important, critical projects)?
- Is this one of those infamous "form over function" decisions Apple often leans toward (sacrificing real-world usability and convenience to shave a fraction of an inch or an ounce - which no one was asking for - just so such a thing "looks good on the marketing and spec sheets)?

Who cares if it's "the lightest, thinnest 17-inch notebook on the planet" if you're using it for your latest documentary in the middle of God-knows-where and the battery decides to croak and you can't replace it with a spare?

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-01-04, 11:40

It makes little sense to me for Apple to introduce to great fanfare a wholly new unified design and then add a model with a significant difference.

MBHockey
skates=grafs

2009-01-04, 11:41

That seems to be a pretty awful idea, especially if the gains are only on the order of an hour.

Jason
Veteran Member

2009-01-04, 11:47

I've been waiting for the 17". Hope the rumor is true - battery or otherwise.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-01-04, 12:07

I'm sure the 17" is coming Tuesday - with Unibody design and black trim, etc. - but this battery thing is just weird, and sounds like one of those "pulled out of the air" rumors. The 13" model, in a weird way, would seem like a more suitable model for a sealed battery (but I don't even like that idea). But the 15" and 17" models, considering their prices and target users, this just seems like a step backwards and a sure-fire way to piss people off.

I hope it's not true because it'll be another case of "one step forward, one step back". They finally unify the notebooks, have LEDs in all models, stylish, solid Unibody frames, the same keyboard across all three lines, etc., and then something silly and weird like this to put a damper on it and take the shine off a bit. The notebooks have always had easily-replaceable, customer-accessible batteries (you never know when that spare will save your butt).

It makes sense (sorta) on the Air, I guess. But the 17"?

DK-Lach

2009-01-04, 12:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactoids View Post
I want Apple to announce an anodized aluminum mouse that better matches the metal keyboard. Okay, so it's a small wish - but I want it anyway
I just want an external Apple-trackpad. That way they could bring all the nifty Multi-Touch features to their stationary Macs. And who wouldn't want those on their imac, Mini or Pro?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-01-04, 12:13

A new keyboard with a large Multi-Touch pad out to the side, for swiping, rotating, flipping, scrolling, etc.?

Sounds neat, but not sure if it falls under the "novelty" heading (and soon to wear off). You do that on a notebook because, by default, it doesn't have a mouse. But in a desktop setting, you've got a mouse to do all that with. Although I have to admit, it's fun to swipe and rotate things in a natural hand gesture than always using the mouse.

If they kept the same keyboard dimensions, they'd have to sacrifice (or shrink) certain keys or functions to have it fit (like the LightBoard I mocked up a few months ago). Otherwise they could stick it on the end (but which side?) or maybe running across the bottom, and add a little bit of width or depth to the overall thing?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2009-01-04 at 12:40.