AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Apple replaced my iBook -- yay!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple replaced my iBook -- yay!
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-03-21, 00:33

Well, about three weeks ago, my G3 800 iceBook finally lost video. Again.

It would flicker, freeze, and eventually go black, mainly when I picked it up. It worked again when I set it on a sturdy, flat surface, but I could make it flicker out again by moving it around. Fortunately, I was able to keep it running long enough to back up everything onto my 40 gig iPod -- and I mean everything, including wiping out the playable music and backing up the iTunes folder itself.

This was the fourth time it's broken since I've had it, so it was on its fourth logic board already. Apple has fixed it every time without hassle, although one instance had it gone for a couple weeks because of a shortage of parts.

I called up AppleCare and told them what was going on. The first phone guy checked its repair history, and forwarded me to a higher-up (I didn't even have to ask to do so) who could authorize a replacement.

I talked with the second guy, and he started organizing the replacement. Apple would send out a brand-new iBook G4, 30 GB, 256 MB of RAM. Since the extra 512 MB that I had wouldn't work in the G4, I paid extra to have them upgrade it. I also paid to have a 60 GB hard drive installed.

My remaining AppleCare can be added to the G4's warranty, or it can be prorated towards a regular full AppleCare contract, or it can be refunded to me. I haven't decided yet.

* Now, here's where it gets fun --

I was on the road, doing training at a military base in Arizona. Sending and receiving packages wasn't impossible, but it was going to be more of a hassle than if I had a car to myself and plenty of free time. I also was due to leave in just under two weeks, and didn't want to be left in limbo with or without a broken iBook.

Apple emailed me stuff to get mailing labels from FedEx, and I had them printed out that night (Wednesday). I found an extra box, wrapped up the iceBook, and attached the labels. The next day, I set up a pickup with Fed Ex, and the following morning, I had one of my guys meet the FedEx driver.

I emailed the tracking number to the rep at Apple, and he promptly got the order started for the new iBook. Since it was build-to-order, they couldn't just yank a stock one out of the warehouse and overnight it, so I was told it would be another couple days.

I waited, but not very long -- the new iBook showed up at our practice field on the very next Wednesday. One week from the day I called Apple, and I got a new iBook -- and that included spending another couple days at my end to get the FedEx pickup done.

By the end of the evening, I had moved all of my data from the iPod to the new iBook. All 16.5 gigs of my music were now in iTunes, iPhoto 4 successfully imported my photo library, etc etc.

The next night, I was straightening pictures, playing with GarageBand, doing all sorts of stuff. My roommate, who had been cursing at his Dell laptop, was getting really jealous.

I miss the translucent-over-white enclosure of the G3 "iceBook", but I'm having a darned good time with the new one.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-03-21, 11:24

Wow, quite the upgrade! G3 to G4 plus all the new software. Killer deal man!

Too bad you had to deal with 5 laptop breakdowns to get it though.

So far both of my PowerBooks have had to return to the mothership. I'm hoping my iMac G5 breaks my record of having to get every Apple computer I've ever bought repaired by Apple. Of course I guess I could stop buying Rev. A products (Rev. A TiBook, Rev. A 15" AlBook, Rev. A iMac G5 20").
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2005-03-21, 12:54

I'm very happy that all turned out well.
This is why I love Apple.
thegeek

2005-03-22, 23:36

FYI, if DHL loses your laptop, they give you the same hookup.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-03-22, 23:52

Congrats, BarracksSi. My brother had the same thing happen to him. Did you get iLife '05 with it? You should see about getting it if you didn't.
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-03-23, 00:12

Yup, got the whole iLife '05 setup that Steve Jobs showed off in January. Really cool stuff.

I went out today and got iWork, Splinter Cell, and Aspyr's "Adrenaline Pack" (Tony Hawk 4, Kelly Slater, and Wakeboarding).

I was down to having as little as two (2) (ZWEI!) gigs free on the iceBook's 30 gig HD, so I'm really enjoying having this extra space.
senecaripple

2005-03-25, 03:13

i've a similar problem. but they wouldnt replace mine yet. i am one more problem away from receiving a replacement. but this time i think they made it solid. but i did get an upgraded hd, to 30 gb. two logic boards, and a backlight replacement. i'm hoping this ibook will hold out until the tiger comes out.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-03-28, 17:21

My iBook G4 is already on its 2nd logic board, and it's under 3 months old. Does it cost anything to have it sent in after the 3-month phone service thing?

Should I get AppleCare?

You ask me for a hamburger.
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-03-28, 17:51

Mine was several months old when it first started acting up. I can't remember whether I took it to an Apple store first or just called, though.

I've seen it recommended that laptop owners in general should get AppleCare. I went the extra mile and put mine on my homeowner's insurance policy (which reminds me, I need to take off the old one and put the new on on it).
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-03-28, 17:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
My iBook G4 is already on its 2nd logic board, and it's under 3 months old. Does it cost anything to have it sent in after the 3-month phone service thing?

Should I get AppleCare?
As long as you can prove it's a hardware defect (pretty easy if it's the logic board), no charge will be assessed. They may ask for your CC # as a precaution though after the 3 month period.
killabyte

2005-03-28, 22:28

I am waiting for my replacement Powerbook from Apple. I dropped mine off at the Apple store and so far it has been a week and I have no idea what is going on. Pretty frustrating. I want my Powerbook!