AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Mail wont send messages!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mail wont send messages!
womblingfree

2006-04-04, 11:53

Every time I try to send an email through Mail I get the message:

The SMTP server “*****” rejected the password for user “*****”

And then it asks me to enter my password, which it then rejects again! I've had the same Mail set up for three years with no problems so why is this suddenly happening?

If I go to my mail management server directly there is no problem, the only problem is through Mail.

Mail still retrieves messages OK.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-04-04, 12:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by womblingfree
Every time I try to send an email through Mail I get the message:

The SMTP server “*****” rejected the password for user “*****”

And then it asks me to enter my password, which it then rejects again! I've had the same Mail set up for three years with no problems so why is this suddenly happening?

If I go to my mail management server directly there is no problem, the only problem is through Mail.

Mail still retrieves messages OK.
I have the exact same problem! I haven't figured out how to fix it yet, but I'll start researching a little more and maybe somebody here will have a solution.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-04-04, 12:05

What's your ISP?

Some ISPs like Earthlink block sending of email to any SMTP servers but their own. This looks like that problem.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-04-04, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
What's your ISP?

Some ISPs like Earthlink block sending of email to any SMTP servers but their own. This looks like that problem.
I guess that could be it. My ISP is SBC. I've done a little googling on my problem since I replied to the post, and I've seen a lot of SBC people having problems with Mail. I'm not using my SBC e-mail account (I have actually never even signed in to it). I'm using the e-mail from my domain. I can send fine if I log into my webmail application, but I want to be able to use Mail.app for sending/recieving messages (I recieve fine).

I should probably also mention that I have the same problem using Thunderbird. I tried to set it up a few days ago, and I can recieve fine, but can't send. Is it possible that it's a firewall issue?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-04-04, 12:19

No, it's very unlikely it's a firewall issue. Most firewall configs block inbound ports, not outbound ports.

I'd put money on the problem being your ISP having a block on outgoing mail.

Assholes.

(Can you guess I don't like this?)

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-04-04, 12:22

Quote:
Assholes.
I couldn't have put it better myself.

Lucky me, my contract with them expires in a couple of months. In the meantime, is there any way I can find out if it's really their fault? Any tricky terminal/telnet tricks or anything of the sort?

Last edited by Wyatt : 2006-04-04 at 12:28.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2006-04-04, 12:44

change your outgoing mail server to theirs.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-04-04, 12:49

EDIT:

oops, just read the lastest posts.

You may need to change ports on your SMTP server, or you may need to talk to SBC support. Most likely they are blocking any sending from their SMTP server that originates from an email address that is not part of their domain.

Are you using an SBC SMTP server, or one that uses your own domain?

Changing ports on your SMTP server from 25 to 587 may help.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-04-04, 14:07

My old AT&T Dialup did that, it sucked.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-04-04, 15:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
Changing ports on your SMTP server from 25 to 587 may help.
That did it! You're officially my hero.
womblingfree

2006-04-04, 16:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz
That did it! You're officially my hero.
It didn't work for me
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-04-04, 19:53

Quote:
It didn't work for me
In many cases it won't. It only works if the mail server is configured to listen to that port. It doesn't work on any of the SMTP servers I use.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-04-04, 20:07

Quote:
It didn't work for me
Who is your service provider? We might be able to do a little research and figure out what ports they have available to you.
hiltond

Send a message via AIM to hiltond  
2006-04-05, 03:24

I use .mac and have a few aliases set up. Normaly everything works fine. But once in a while one of my aliases gives me the same problem as mentioned in the first post. I don't think it is my ISP (Comcast) as my main account and two aliases work all of the time and the problem is intermittent.
womblingfree

2006-04-05, 05:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz
Who is your service provider? We might be able to do a little research and figure out what ports they have available to you.
My service provider is Bulldog UK and my email account is from my iPowerweb domain.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2006-04-05, 07:21

I'll say it again for womblingfree. Change the outgoing mail server to that of your ISP.

Dot worry, your emails will still look like they came from abc@xyz.

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
womblingfree

2006-04-05, 14:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
I'll say it again for womblingfree. Change the outgoing mail server to that of your ISP.

Dot worry, your emails will still look like they came from abc@xyz.
Do I ask my service provider or my domain provider?
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2006-04-05, 16:48

Quote:
Do I ask my service provider or my domain provider?

ISP=internet service provider

the issue at stake (as i understand it) is the ISP is blocking the port to other mail servers for whatever reason. thus, using their mail server would mitigate the problem.
womblingfree

2006-04-05, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuh Freak

ISP=internet service provider

the issue at stake (as i understand it) is the ISP is blocking the port to other mail servers for whatever reason. thus, using their mail server would mitigate the problem.
I was just wondering because I can send e-mail if I log into my domain control panel, and that's not provided by my ISP. Why would that work and not Mail?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-04-05, 17:33

That works because in that scenario, your local computer isn't sending the e-mail message out to an SMTP server. Instead, your computer is using HTTP to send the request to the web server and then that web server, which is not controlled by your ISP, is sending the e-mail out.

It gets a little technical here. It would probably make sense more with diagrams. If you want more details, just say so.

womblingfree

2006-04-05, 17:56

Quote:
That works because in that scenario, your local computer isn't sending the e-mail message out to an SMTP server. Instead, your computer is using HTTP to send the request to the web server and then that web server, which is not controlled by your ISP, is sending the e-mail out.

It gets a little technical here. It would probably make sense more with diagrams. If you want more details, just say so.
Thanks for the explanation, although i don't understand a word of it. (I'm rubbish at computers!)

I just like things to work, that's why I use a Mac. I'll be hassling my ISP in the morning!

I'll let you know if they can solve the problem

Last edited by womblingfree : 2006-04-05 at 18:08.
womblingfree

2006-04-08, 08:19

Still not working

I contacted my ISP and they spent over an hour on the phone with me checking connections, changing setting and setting up a new SMTP server with a new email address. Nothing worked!

So it's still not working even with my ISP's outgoing server.

At one point I managed to send one email using their SMTP server but when we tried again it didn't work.

They seem to think it's a problem with Mail itself, and I'm starting to think so too. This problem only started a short time ago and has coincided with me upgrading to 10.4.6. Are there any known issues with 10.4.6?

Any other ideas?

This is really pissing me off now

Last edited by womblingfree : 2006-04-08 at 13:49.
womblingfree

2006-04-08, 22:45

Right I set Authentication to none and can now send email through Mail using my ISP's SMTP servers.

What a pain in the arse that all was