AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Safari's adress bar and Google search box

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Safari's adress bar and Google search box
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2009-10-05, 19:37

Hey guys,
I just fresh installed Snow Leopard on my MBP and I realised how I miss the ability to do my searches in the adress bar instead of a separete one (see Chrome adress bar). Actually it works a little bit cause I'm using open DNS and it's redirecting to google results but the ads and bigger and worst, on top of results. It's that bad... just annoying.

So here my question/request :
Is there a way to do google searches in the adress bar ?
Is it possible to remove the google search box ?

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-10-05, 20:19

Apple broke the option that allows you to clear the Google search history with the Safari 4.0.1 update and it hasn't yet returned. To clear the recent Google searches, you have to clear *all* the browser's history, unfortunately.

No, I don't believe you can remove the box entirely while keeping the URL field. You can make it smaller by dragging the little section between the two.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2009-10-05, 20:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
No, I don't believe you can remove the box entirely while keeping the URL field. You can make it smaller by dragging the little section between the two.
Just what I did. It still breaks my tabbing order but complain about it would be a little bit too much

I saw some fixes for the "openDNS guide results page" but it's Firefox related. Here's a example. Anything similar for Safari ?

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-10-05, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
I saw some fixes for the "openDNS guide results page" but it's Firefox related.
Took me a second to realize what that is... I guess you want to be able to type random text into the location field and have it be treated as a search instead of a URL request?

My advice would be to use the search field.

Alternatively, GlimmerBlocker can do some neat things with your URL requests. See the "Safari keyword expansions" filter.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-10-05, 21:06

Oh, and GlimmerBlocker also intercepts the spammy search page that OpenDNS serves when you enter a bogus URL. Here's what it looks like:

Very handy.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-10-05, 21:16

Thanks for posting that Brad. OpenDNS' search page is my only dislike with them. Now that can be fixed on my Macs!
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2009-10-05, 21:35

Quote:
TI guess you want to be able to type random text into the location field and have it be treated as a search instead of a URL request?
Exactly !!
Quote:
My advice would be to use the search field.
You're the best, I didn't think of that, thanks
Quote:
Alternatively, GlimmerBlocker can do some neat things with your URL requests. See the "Safari keyword expansions" filter.
[image]
Wow. This is just amazing ! More than I wanted ! 3rad's tEh man !!!1!