Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple after Steve Jobs

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple after Steve Jobs
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
porter

2005-08-04, 09:35

So far Apple has only truly succeeded with Steve Jobs as its leader. But what about a post-Steve Apple? Unless Steve is grooming a successor, I get the feeling Apple will die slowly without him. What do you think?
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-08-04, 09:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter
So far Apple has only truly succeeded with Steve Jobs as its leader. But what about a post-Steve Apple? Unless Steve is grooming a successor, I get the feeling Apple will die slowly without him. What do you think?

1. Apple had many successful years without him. Arguable they were their most successful to date
2. Average life expectancy is quite a bit higher than the 51 years of age that Jobs is now. I'm pretty sure we can count on him being around for a while more
3. Apple is much healthier and stronger and efficient now than ever before. It's also run more as a business then ever before. It will be hard to find someone comparable to Jobs in an all around sense but to find someone who can run the company should not be impossible
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-08-04, 10:12

I think about this too sometimes. I hope some things stay the same, but I hope other things change.

Whether these are direct results of Steve's presence, I don't know.

But yes, at 51 he's not going anywhere anytime soon (knock on wood). Easily another decade or so, if he wanted to.

And even beyond that, if he didn't want to do the day-to-day tough stuff, he'd probably be around as the vision/direction guy, with his fingers still in all the pies to some degree, still giving the MWSF and WWDC keynotes (charisma goes a long way), still the go-to guy for a thoughtful or juicy comment on the state of computers and such, still the public face of the company, etc.

But yes, one day there will be an Apple with no Steve Jobs around. But I think they've done a good job these past few years (and have hopefully learned from their several missteps in the past) and I think the company is on solid ground. More so than a lot of others who get more press and attention, that's for sure.

I don't worry about Apple...they need to be around if only so the other ones know what to do next. Think about it, and tell me I'm wrong...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2005-08-04 at 10:14.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2005-08-04, 10:30

apple should have an internet contest:

Want to be the next Steve Jobs? Want to run Apple Computers? Want to wear jeans and black turtleneck sweaters and have a private jet???

Then enter the "Run Apple Computer" contest...just enter your name, email address and write* a two paragraph essay on why you want to be CEO of Apple Computers"

*word documents will be instantly rejected

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
BenRoethig

2005-08-04, 11:06

I don't think you can replace steve Jobs. You'll never find another person whose brain works like Steve Jobs'
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-08-04, 11:18

gelding, that essay contest is so old school. Where've you been? You know that everything is decided now by reality TV.

THERE'S your next "Apprentice"!

Oh, the catchphrases we could come up with...

"You're fired" gets replaced with "Get out of my sight with that uninspired crap!".

Someone with a camcorder, some friends who can act (and one who resembles Jobs) and a little time could probably put together a pretty funny spoof on the subject.

Both things (Apple and "The Apprentice") have enough things to lampoon and parody. Done right, it could probably be funny to a bunch of Mac dorks.

If I only had as much time, equipment and resources as I do ideas...I'd be dangerous. Or rich.

morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-08-04, 11:22

Yeah, just reading the many books on the early days of Apple tells you that. I mean who else would be able to yell at a another CEO in his office like Jobs did to Gates?

Not many. Jobs is a unique, control freak, likable CEO. Just going by who is working at Apple these days, Apple has a bright future if these people stay around and don't get lured to another company(and with how the tech indrusty is, not very likely as when the boom happen...Unless Google wants a taste).

And if anything the Board of Appel has many good candidates for replacement, such as Al Gore.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-08-04, 11:35

MichaelM8000 for iCeo!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-08-04, 11:37

Don't even try to act like you wouldn't watch it.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-08-04, 14:28

Hahaha...OMG, pscates, I totally would.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-08-04, 15:23

Watch it?! I'd try out.
dougiemac

2005-08-04, 15:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
Watch it?! I'd try out.
I think everyone on this board would second that.
shatteringglass

2005-08-04, 16:18

I can only imagine the tears inside that boardroom...
jonecat

2005-08-04, 16:25

Make it like Charlie and the Chocoalate Factory and put golden tickets in new Macs. Pick the best canidate from that. Sales would go through the roof.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-08-04, 16:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonecat
Make it like Charlie and the Chocoalate Factory and put golden tickets in new Macs. Pick the best canidate from that. Sales would go through the roof.
Only problem is we're all a bunch of Mike teavees.
JLL

2005-08-05, 04:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of the 'nut
1. Apple had many successful years without him. Arguable they were their most successful to date
Yes, they sold a lot of Macs but they absolutely didn't do well financially, and they also did a lot of stupid mistakes.

Sculley were good in the beginning but couldn't handle it when he focussed too much on the Newton. Spindler was a disaster, and Amelio started a trend that Jobs took further.

- No matter where you go, there you are.
MacRonin

2005-08-05, 04:24

Apple after Steve Jobs, never happen...

Jobs has two very special projects underway...

One - Project Fett - Cloning facility, output used as shells to transplant Brain Of The Steve into...

Two - Project Loki - Select eggheads @ Pixar working on upload of The Steve to a massive OS X cluster, with infiltration to the Internet (at which point he would be all over the rumor sites & forums...)

But you didn't hear it from me...

(...not like I need a visit from the black-clad Apple Ninjas, again!...)
HezMah19
Formerly "jmahe19"

Send a message via AIM to HezMah19  
2005-08-05, 04:37

lol, you mean the people on the iPod add were ninjas?
MacRonin

2005-08-05, 07:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmahe19
lol, you mean the people on the iPod add were ninjas?
Yup, every single last one of them; Apple Ninja Death Squad members, blending...
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-08-05, 15:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLL
Yes, they sold a lot of Macs but they absolutely didn't do well financially, and they also did a lot of stupid mistakes.

Sculley were good in the beginning but couldn't handle it when he focussed too much on the Newton. Spindler was a disaster, and Amelio started a trend that Jobs took further.
oooo. you are one of thoooose people.
Baron Munchausen

2005-08-05, 22:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougiemac
I think everyone on this board would second that.
Me too. INSPIRED, pscates! This needs to be a vPodcast!

If anyone saw the UK version, with Alan "Sid James" Sugar, it was very often hillarious, with Sid's sharp cockney tongue slicing through the ponces.

A spoof about people with one William Gates also participating, would be great - a kind of "Dick Dastardly" role trying to sabotage and/or steal other's ideas.

The only difference between Dick Dastardly and Gates is that Dick had to be way ahead to plan his attacks, while Bill manages it from the rear.
jondaapplegeek

Send a message via MSN to jondaapplegeek Send a message via Skype™ to jondaapplegeek 
2005-08-06, 09:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstarrising
I mean who else would be able to yell at a another CEO in his office like Jobs did to Gates?
really? when was this? any old news links etc avaliable?

hehe
JLL

2005-08-08, 03:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of the 'nut
oooo. you are one of thoooose people.
Explain, please!

Amelio dumped the 1,000+ different Performa models to concentrate on a few models.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-08-08, 14:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLL
Explain, please!

Amelio dumped the 1,000+ different Performa models to concentrate on a few models.
I'm sorry but cutting computer lines when your company just lost a billion dollars is not something that strikes me as amazing business inteligence and setting up the future for success.

it's more of a holy shit reaction.

amelio was as much of a fuck up as the other guys, he just has done a better job bullshitting about how he wasn't. he also had the advantage of his successor being extremely successful very quickly.
naren
snail herder

Send a message via ICQ to naren Send a message via MSN to naren Send a message via Skype™ to naren 
2005-08-08, 16:38

I'm all about Danika Cleary to be the next Apple CEO, I don't know what kind of CEO she'll be, but honestly, who cares about that?

The future is tomorrow!
gsxrboy

2005-08-08, 18:28

Yes !
rasmits
rams it

2005-08-08, 20:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren
I'm all about Danika Cleary to be the next Apple CEO, I don't know what kind of CEO she'll be, but honestly, who cares about that?
I'm sure she'd have no trouble catching the attention of developers during her WWDC keynote.
Amadeus

2005-08-09, 15:58

Quote:

My hope is that Steve is grooming someone. IMHO Danika would seem to be a good choice.
JayReding

2005-08-09, 16:03

Quote:

Can you imagine what she'd do to the Reality Distortion Field?!

DANIKA: The next Powerbooks will be feature a 486 processor, CGA graphics, and will weight 10 pounds. But they'll come in different colors!
DEVELOPERS: *drool*
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2005-08-10, 04:52

Now that the Apple Stores and the iTunes Store are catching on, I have the feeling that Apple gets more and more structured and are having their retail channels more and more established and under control, which makes them less and less have to fight for consumer attention with new brilliant products.

This makes them less dependent on Jobs for survival, I think, though Jobs might make Apple keep growing more than anyone else by finding and implementing still other products and ways to distribute them.