Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iWork
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-01-11, 14:21

Looks good. I wonder how well it handles .doc files... I'd love to try it out. Anyone read the copy for the "compatibility" section? Jabs to Word left and right. Shot across the bow of MS if I ever saw one....

BTW, is Michael Matas doing art for Apple now? Looks like his style on the boxes.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-01-11, 14:33

I'm sure it handles them as well as the rest of the OS. That is, it simply taps into the .doc handling abilities of Panther or Tiger as seen in TextEdit.
naren
snail herder

Send a message via ICQ to naren Send a message via MSN to naren Send a message via Skype™ to naren 

Is this included with new Mac's or no?
Paul
Veteran Member

missing a spreadsheet app....
Still looks like an amazing suite tho

not bundled, its like keynote was... only cheaper
$49 edu!
¡Damned!

2005-01-11, 14:37

I'm REALLY excited by Keynote 2. A stand-alone player was my secret wish...and now I've got it.

*Well shit, now that I'm looking more closely this 'Kiosk' thingy wasn't what I thought it was at all.

So it goes.
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-01-11, 14:50

iWork seems ripe for expansion.

Needs: Cells, Database, Planning....what else? Oh, Graffle and Outliner...

But bought it anyway

Last edited by johnq : 2005-01-11 at 14:56.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-01-11, 15:04

$49 US - hope the Au ed price is just as low and that it makes it to our shores soon! If so, I've still got gift voucher money from Christmas that I think I'll use.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Frank777
Veteran Member

2005-01-11, 15:28

Ok, first of all let me say that Pages looks really good.
It's a combination Word Processor and Page layout app that fills a real need in the Mac productivity sector.

But how on earth is iWork supposed to be "AppleWorks replacement" ???

I can't see how I'm supposed to ditch AppleWorks 6 if there's no spreadsheet component. (And most of you know how badly I want to ditch AppleWorks 6!)

Dropping the database is one thing, there are other options out there.

But to drop the only major spreadsheet on the Mac besides MS Excel is ridiculous.
Am I missing something here?
IVIIVI4ck3y27

Send a message via ICQ to IVIIVI4ck3y27 Send a message via AIM to IVIIVI4ck3y27 Send a message via MSN to IVIIVI4ck3y27 Send a message via Yahoo to IVIIVI4ck3y27  
2005-01-11, 15:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777
It's a combination Word Processor and Page layout app that fills a real need in the Mac productivity sector.

I can't see how I'm supposed to ditch AppleWorks 6 if there's no spreadsheet component. (And most of you know how badly I want to ditch AppleWorks 6!)

But to drop the only major spreadsheet on the Mac besides MS Excel is ridiculous.
My guess is the Apple-branded Spreadsheet app. that eventually replaces it. Give it some time and it'll happen methinks.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-01-11, 15:56

I cant believe the price, $50 edu. That kicks so much ass. It didnt take me long to pull the trigger on that one.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-01-11, 16:13

I'd be all over it too if I didn't have a full version of Office already purchased (sure, work bought it, but it does the job). And I still need to get Omnioutliner 3 Pro. :/ Too many great pieces of software to buy, not enough $$ to buy them.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2005-01-11, 16:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVIIVI4ck3y27
My guess is the Apple-branded Spreadsheet app. that eventually replaces it. Give it some time and it'll happen methinks.
I've given it five - count-em - FIVE years.
Jay

2005-01-11, 16:36

Quote:

I don't think it is a direct replacement for AppleWorks or Office but it will be great for people like myself who only need a Word processor and a presentation app. It sounds like it is almost targeted to college students.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-01-11, 17:37

Page seems very promising, particularly the Word compatibility.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-01-11, 19:05

I want one.

I want to try it out for myself, but I can imagine getting a copy for myself in the next few weeks.
windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2005-01-11, 20:11

is iwork bundled with new macs
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-01-11, 21:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsblowsass
is iwork bundled with new macs
AFAICT, no, it's not. It should be but as of now, it isn't.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-01-11, 21:49

Pages looks awesome! Watching the demo, I found myself going "That's how it SHOULD be done!" exactly I did when I saw Keynote for the first time. Keynote was awesome and I'm sure Pages is too.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-01-11, 23:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVIIVI4ck3y27
'iSpread'? It could have some interesting marketing angles with that name.
esavage

2005-01-12, 00:14

Is it just me or do you need a DVD drive to install it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-01-12, 00:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by esavage
Is it just me or do you need a DVD drive to install it.
That's what the system requirements say. It probably comes on a DVD. Keynote has many many templates that are pretty large, so that's probably it.
nomorewindows

2005-01-12, 00:25

Am I correct in assuming that I will be able to load iWork on up to three machines (edu purchase)? Seems I read that somewhere, but now can't confirm it.
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-01-12, 00:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney
'iSpread'? It could have some interesting marketing angles with that name.
Watch out or you'll need an Apple Pregnancy Testkit

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-01-12, 00:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorewindows
Am I correct in assuming that I will be able to load iWork on up to three machines (edu purchase)? Seems I read that somewhere, but now can't confirm it.
You're thinking about the student/teacher version of Office 2004. I haven't heard anything about the restrictions on use for iWork.
IonYz

Send a message via AIM to IonYz  
2005-01-12, 00:57

Quote:
For the time being, AppleWorks is still a selling product and continues being bundled with Macs including the Mini. So you still have it, thats both good news and bad news right?

Both a spreadsheet and a database application should be offered in the future though. Regardless of FileMaker, I can still see Apple doing it themselves.

Perhaps Apple hit a wall on the redesign-the-spreadsheet concept. Check .com for a thread that gives good examples of just how decrepit the paradigm is. For instance could they combining database and spreadsheet into a single app? They basically just did that with Pages (Page Layout + Word Processor).

Any word on the native format for Pages? Had to go looking for HTML export and found it so I'm wondering how well these documents stack up when you convert them.

/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
yoda_four

2005-01-12, 03:41

Steve Jobs:"With iWork, we're building a successor to AppleWorks."

In no way is AppleWorks going to be gone this year. iWork convers only 1/3 what AppleWorks does, plus some new stuff; but this stuff it does replace will likely be 100 times better. What about spreadsheets? Well, I guess either use tables in Pages, Excel, or AW for them.

The simple fact is, iWork is not complete and is a work in progress. Apple is looking at our standard productivity suite in completely new ways and are building these apps from the ground up. Apple is testing this thing our right now to see what's good, what's not, and collect this knowledge so it can be applied to future versions. By next year, we'll probably see iWork '06 with a spreasheet function. iWork, from the start IMO, was never meant to be a Office killer, only an AW for the 21st century. If iWork turns into an Office killer, all the better, but that will only come with time and revisions. Obviously the suite has started on a great foot and can only go up from here.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-12, 04:34

I almost want apple to partner with Omni Group and bundle Omni Outliner and Omni Graffle with iWork and make a joint spreadsheet/database app with FileMaker that has Access and Excel support...
http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnioutliner/
http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnigraffle/
http://www.filemaker.com/products/
http://www.filemaker.com/ti/109429.html

I'd pay $200 for that with options to upgrade to "full" versions of the bundled apps (OO Pro, OG Pro, FM Pro) for a fee...

Then all Apple would need is a response to Exchange and full compatibility with Mail/iCal/Address Book...

There is not THAT much left to do...

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2005-01-12, 13:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda_four
Steve Jobs:"With iWork, we're building a successor to AppleWorks."

In no way is AppleWorks going to be gone this year. iWork convers only 1/3 what AppleWorks does, plus some new stuff; but this stuff it does replace will likely be 100 times better. What about spreadsheets? Well, I guess either use tables in Pages, Excel, or AW for them.

So this raises the question...is AppleWorks still bundled with all new consumer Macs?

Somehow I doubt it but it would be nice. Especially if you consider any potential switchers who have come to expect Apps to be included. Yes, iLife05 does come with the Mac Mini, but most people can't live without a basic word processor (yeah, i know, it's only $50...but still)
naren
snail herder

Send a message via ICQ to naren Send a message via MSN to naren Send a message via Skype™ to naren 
2005-01-12, 15:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
I almost want apple to partner with Omni Group and bundle Omni Outliner and Omni Graffle with iWork and............
Ah, Omni Outliner and Omni Graffle DID come bundled on my machine, a powerbook. Anyone know if they do come with Consumer type machines?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-01-12, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren
Ah, Omni Outliner and Omni Graffle DID come bundled on my machine, a powerbook. Anyone know if they do come with Consumer type machines?
They don't.