Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Stereo Receiver Fried During Storm

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Stereo Receiver Fried During Storm
AWR
Veteran Member

2009-09-19, 14:42

Last night we had a very big thunderstorm move through town, knocking the lights off at home twice through circuit breaker. Later in the evening we tried to play some music and the receiver would not turn on, although the DVD player seemed to be fine. I presume it got zapped in a surge. I don't see any reset button or the like.

My question ... is this unit zapped for good if in fact that is what happened, or is it something to take into the shop for a repair.

Any knowledge or experience tips would be much appreciated.

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2009-09-20, 09:55

I have neither knowledge nor experience here, but reason suggests it might be the power supply. It might not, but if it's a decent receiver it would at least be worth getting a repair quote, I would think.

And something useful: bump!
addabox
Veteran Member

2009-09-20, 12:25

Even if there aren't externally replaceable fuses, there are almost certainly fuses on the power supply inside the case. I would pop it open and take a look (after unplugging the unit, of course). Odds are there will be at least two, if not four (left and right channels, main power and output), the power pair being the likely victim of a lightening strike.

No guarantees, and even if you replace blown fuses you may find that powering back up just blows them again, which means more fundamental damage. Note that you should be careful to match the existing fuses, since putting a higher amped fuse on a damaged circuit board could result in a fire.

Depending on how much it cost and how old it is, it's usually cheaper just to replace consumer electronic gear, since repair places generally start at $100 or so just to take a look, and go up from there to actually do anything, at $75/hr.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
AWR
Veteran Member

2009-09-21, 05:04

Thanks, guys, for the practical and the bump.

I will pop the hood and have a look at the internal fuses. It would be great if replacing such would cure its ills! If that doesn't work, I'll march it back to the shop and see what they are willing/able to do. It's a two year old NAD unit and while not krazy expensive, it's not something I feel like replacing right now.