Nikon D700 (12MP FX Sensor)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Nikon D700 (12MP FX Sensor)
Page 1 of 5 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-07-01, 08:46

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Ni...5444/D700.html

Basically a D3 without the vertical grip, ISO range stops at 6400, and it has the self-cleaning sensor of the D300 which is nice. For anyone who isn't a sports or fashion photographer the D700 is a clear win. Will be interesting to see if they have cleaned up the ISO performance even more than the D3, up to 6400. Good stuff. Way to stay ahead of the game, Nikon.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Eugene
careful with axes

2008-07-01, 09:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
ISO range stops at 6400
It has the same ISO performance as the D3. 1/3 stop increments up to Hi1 (ISO 12800) and then Hi2 (ISO 25600).
Matsu
Veteran Member

2008-07-01, 10:45

Based on the D3 it should have very good dynamic range; with the grip, it shoots pretty darn fast (8fps); and of course industry leading high ISO performance. It should do extremely well with wedding and PJ shooters.

Dave
Ninja Editor

2008-07-01, 11:21

Aw hell, I was hoping it'd be, ya know, affordable or something. I just wanna spend $500, tops, not $3k.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-07-01, 16:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
It has the same ISO performance as the D3. 1/3 stop increments up to Hi1 (ISO 12800) and then Hi2 (ISO 25600).
Native ISO stops at 6400, the other settings are "boost" settings... that's all I meant. Beyond 6400 most people won't tread anyway.
Eugene
careful with axes

2008-07-01, 17:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Aw hell, I was hoping it'd be, ya know, affordable or something. I just wanna spend $500, tops, not $3k.
There's no fewer than 6 options in the $500 range for you then, far more choices than any other pricing bracket.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2008-07-01, 18:43

Nice!

This camera is presumably tied with the D3 for the best low-light performance on the market, is built to flat-out pro standards (full weather sealing, Nikon's famous (and beautiful!) circular viewfinder window, etc.), and actually shoots very quickly, particularly with the grip option. It'll cannibalise a lot of D3 sales, but realistically it will also put serious pressure on Canon's 1D-series cameras. Price is important even for pros, and 8 fps (with the grip, which of course does cost money too) is nothing to sneeze at, even for sports.

Here's a few sample images from Nikon. They don't tell us anything new, but check out the fourth image (woman in church) to remind yourself just how good that sensor is. (The flare resistance of that Nano-coated zoom is quite special too.)

Interestingly, the viewfinder is of slightly higher magnification than the D3's (0.72x versus 0.70x). They undoubtedly use the same prism. This places the D700 in second place on the DSLR viewfinder magnification list (after the 1Ds Mark III with 0.76x). Much larger than the 1D Mark III (0.59x).

Now, will Canon be brave and put a non-"pro" $2k full-frame DSLR on the market, or release another excellent but strictly me-too product at $3k? If the former, things will get interesting!
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2008-07-01, 20:13

Quote:
Yeah, WTF Nikon? for what this does it shouldn't be a penny above $499.
Miko
Veteran Member

2008-07-01, 21:13

The D700 mini site is up! This is really an impressive camera. Man those three photographers must feel pretty honored.
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2008-07-01, 21:17

I shoot Canon but Nikon cameras are making me jealous. They have such a strong lineup of SLRs.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2008-07-01, 22:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans View Post
Yeah, WTF Nikon? for what this does it shouldn't be a penny above $499.
Oh I'm sure it's worth every penny. I just don't have that many pennies, and was hoping that the D700 was their new $400-$500 camera.
Eugene
careful with axes

2008-07-01, 23:57

Quote:
Oh I'm sure it's worth every penny. I just don't have that many pennies, and was hoping that the D700 was their new $400-$500 camera.
Their new $500 camera is the D60 and it hasn't been out that long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Now, will Canon be brave and put a non-"pro" $2k full-frame DSLR on the market, or release another excellent but strictly me-too product at $3k? If the former, things will get interesting!
Well the current 5D is <$2000, so that's always an option. My guess is the 5DII will be more of the same for Canon, 16mp in a glorified EOS 40D body for $2500+.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-07-02, 09:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko View Post
The D700 mini site is up! This is really an impressive camera. Man those three photographers must feel pretty honored.
Jim Reid does some amazing stuff...

...and yes to be chosen as Nikon's photographer in these new camera exposes is pretty much an honor I'd say.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2008-07-02, 16:14

I liked some of the photos from all three photographers featured, though I thought Doug Menuez' work was the most consistent. But watching him work and talk in the movie of him was downright cringe-worthy! And Cherie Steinberg Coté and her partner are a strange duo.

Looking at the big picture, Nikon has extracted itself with astonishing aplomb from the dire straits of trying to sell DX-format pro cameras for $5k. The line-up of D300, D700, D3 and soon-to-arrive D3x is unbeatable. The two already here are attractive cameras that have been released almost flawlessly, to near universal acclaim, and fantastic sales have resulted. The D700 will certainly follow in those footsteps, and likely the D3x too.

In contrast, Canon is now stuck with the expensive niche-market 1Ds Mark III, a soundly trumped 1.3x-crop-factor 1D Mark III with lingering problems that seriously dented pro confidence in the Canon brand, and a deeply discounted geriatric 5D that shares nothing with the pro cameras (and therefore isn't very attractive as a secondary or backup camera). The 1.6x crop-factor cameras are competitive, but the pro line-up is in a tricky spot.

Canon does still have a lens-range advantage in the pro market, with plenty of unique choices (particularly fast primes with ultra-sonic focusing motors). And their lenses are widely available. According to a recent post on The Online Photographer, fully 18 out of Nikon's 20 most expensive lenses are backordered or out of stock at B&H Photo. Nikon must strike now while the iron is hot, which means getting more high-end Nikkors out of the factory pronto.

But it's amazing how much things have changed in a single year. I noticed an awful lot of Nikons on the side-lines of the Euro 2008 football games. Last year you'd have been lucky to spot one among the white cannons.
Eugene
careful with axes

2008-07-03, 02:11

Quote:
Looking at the big picture, Nikon has extracted itself with astonishing aplomb from the dire straits of trying to sell DX-format pro cameras for $5k. The line-up of D300, D700, D3 and soon-to-arrive D3x is unbeatable. The two already here are attractive cameras that have been released almost flawlessly, to near universal acclaim, and fantastic sales have resulted. The D700 will certainly follow in those footsteps, and likely the D3x too.
Nikon definitely has the pro sector locked up...now they need to turn towards the prosumer/consumer segment again where Sony, Pentax/Samsung, Olympus/Panasonic all have competitive options. I can't stand the autofocus in the D60. The low end Nikon needs the D70's focus screen at the very least, with the D80/D200's being preferable. Low-end Canons aren't even worth mentioning at their suggested retail prices.

Quote:
The 1.6x crop-factor cameras are competitive, but the pro line-up is in a tricky spot.
This is residual brand confidence at work... at this point I can't just tell someone to look at Nikons/Canons when everyone else's options are as good or sometimes better.

Quote:
But it's amazing how much things have changed in a single year. I noticed an awful lot of Nikons on the side-lines of the Euro 2008 football games. Last year you'd have been lucky to spot one among the white cannons.
More importantly I've seen more consumers with Nikons. I've seen more general news photographers with
Nikons, but Canon still overpowers them at sports events with their on-site support staff.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2008-07-03, 16:48

Quote:
...now they need to turn towards the prosumer/consumer segment again where Sony, Pentax/Samsung, Olympus/Panasonic all have competitive options. I can't stand the autofocus in the D60. The low end Nikon needs the D70's focus screen at the very least, with the D80/D200's being preferable.
What do you dislike about the D60's autofocus, Eugene? It's the same autofocus module as in the D40 and D40x, which I thought worked pretty well when I tried it briefly (in a shop). I'm thinking of getting a D40x or D60, so I'm curious. The main reasons I favour a Nikon over the rest in this price-range is because they have the F-mount and a two-year warranty (in the UK where I'd probably buy it).

The D80 and D200 have one of the best viewfinders of all crop-sensor DSLRs, with good magnification, generous eye-relief, and a proper penta-prism. The only crop-sensor cameras with an [imperceptibly] larger viewfinder are the Pentax K10D/K20D, and the D300 (the latter due only to larger coverage rather than greater magnification). The D70 had a terribly small viewfinder, even smaller than that of the D40/D40x/D60. But it did have a prism rather than the penta-mirror that the new low-end cameras have, so it was brighter. I haven't paid much attention to the focus screens in these cameras, though I did find manual focus very difficult with the D70s I used for a couple of weeks.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2008-07-03, 17:22

I think the D700 is pretty exciting stuff. Considering that an F6 costs about $2000, a $3000 D700 is only about a $1K premium for the sensor and associated goodies. Granted it is a different body/AF module, but they're in a comparable class (high-end) SLRs (albeit one film and the other digital)

It sort of puts the lie to the whole, "OMG, 35mm sensors are always going to cost too much" school of thought. Yeah, they still cost a lot, but they're dropping enough to make a D700 possible for less than half of what it would have cost 5 years ago.

Interesting thing about the entry level Nikons, they're dropping the focus motor drive as they work their way up the model line-up. First with the D40, now the D40x and D60. Will the D90 successor be next?

Could be an interesting way of distinguishing it from the D300, if it ends up inheriting most of the electronic bits. I guess we're going to lose the focus motor entirely at some point, though I think it will be years before pros relinquish their screw-driven lenses.

Eugene
careful with axes

2008-07-03, 19:16

Quote:
What do you dislike about the D60's autofocus, Eugene? It's the same autofocus module as in the D40 and D40x, which I thought worked pretty well when I tried it briefly (in a shop).
I'm just imagining casual users + 3-area autofocus resulting in many, many blurry faces.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2008-07-04, 07:42

So glad I never "made the switch" to sub-35mm DSLRs. I'm a Nikon fanboy and always held out hope that at some point they would see the light and realize how many of us actually were waiting until full-size sensors came out so we could actually use our 35-mm lenses properly. Namely, my prized 24-mm would be completely worthless on those DX sensors. So, now they've taken one step further to tempt me to make the switch to DSLR.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2008-07-05, 20:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
Interesting thing about the entry level Nikons, they're dropping the focus motor drive as they work their way up the model line-up. First with the D40, now the D40x and D60. Will the D90 successor be next?

Could be an interesting way of distinguishing it from the D300, if it ends up inheriting most of the electronic bits. I guess we're going to lose the focus motor entirely at some point, though I think it will be years before pros relinquish their screw-driven lenses.
I wouldn't be hugely surprised if the D80's successor loses the focus motor, though I'd expect at least another generation to have it. By then Nikon should have a full range of AF-S Nikkors, making the focus motor important only to people with old lenses.

Quote:
I'm just imagining casual users + 3-area autofocus resulting in many, many blurry faces.
True, 3-area AF systems aren't very suited to pointing and shooting, which I suspect most D60 buyers do. Face-detection will also be impossible with SLRs for the foreseeable future, and face-detection can really help the point-and-shoot crowd get faces in focus. On the other hand, a lot of beginners are afflicted with bulls-eye syndrome, where even one AF sensor would suffice.

I'd love to know how much the FX sensor in the D3 and D700 costs Nikon. I find it hard to believe that it costs even $1k, but I don't know much about how they're made.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2008-07-07, 12:36

Have the zooms all been updated to AFS more or less? The 70-200VR, 200-400, 24-70 and 14-24, and one prime, I think, the 200 f/2.

The 85's could use an update. (I think the 50 as well)

Most have little need of primes, but an 85 and a 50 are nice things to have, and don't need to cost a lot.

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2008-07-07, 15:29

The following AF-S lenses are listed on the Nikon UK website.

DX lenses:
12-24mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S DX NIKKOR
16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX NIKKOR
17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX NIKKOR
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S VR DX NIKKOR
18-55 f/3.5-5.6GII AF-S DX NIKKOR
18-70mm f3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX NIKKOR
18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 ED-IF AF-S DX NIKKOR
18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR DX NIKKOR
55-200mm f/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX NIKKOR
55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR
Only one DX lens is not AF-S: the 10.5mm f/2.8G ED DX Fisheye-NIKKOR.

FX lenses:
Zooms:
14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S NIKKOR
17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF AF-S NIKKOR
24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR NIKKOR
24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S NIKKOR
28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF AF-S NIKKOR
70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR NIKKOR
70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S VR NIKKOR
200-400mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S VR NIKKOR
Micro lenses (macro to everyone but Nikon):
60mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Micro NIKKOR
105mm f/2.8G AF-S VR Micro NIKKOR
Telephotos:
200mm f/2G ED-IF AF-S VR NIKKOR
300mm f/4D ED-IF AF-S NIKKOR
300mm f/2.8 ED-IF AF-S VR NIKKOR
400mm f/2.8G ED VR AF-S NIKKOR
400mm f/2.8D ED-IF AF-S II NIKKOR
500mm f/4G ED VR AF-S NIKKOR
500mm f/4D ED-IF AF-S II NIKKOR
600mm f/4G ED VR AF-S NIKKOR
600mm f/4D ED-IF AF-S II NIKKOR
So basically the three f/2.8 pro zooms from 14 to 200 mm, the super-telephoto lenses that need AF-S for fast focusing, the new macro lenses (that will probably be around for many years), and the consumer DX lenses are all AF-S. So Nikon's probably putting AF-S in lenses in roughly the right order.

The three new Perspective Control lenses, which will probably stay in the system for a decade or more, are manual-focus.

So yes, the glaring hole at the moment is short AF-S primes. I'm sure they will arrive in the near future, and if Nikon's recent lens-design form is anything to go by (the Nano-Coat era), they'll probably be stellar! Considering they're arriving late, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Nikon decides to one-up the competition and put optical image-stabilisation (VR) in some of them too.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2008-07-07, 19:55

I never really pay attention to the tele end of things. I hadn't realized that so many of the lenses had been updated. I think the focus motor is not long for this world then. Another ten years or so, maybe...

stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2008-07-22, 00:44

Just ordered mine. I hate myself for ordering so late. I am leaving the country for good Sept 8th and fear that it won't arrive in time...

Any ideas as to how to get it sooner?
Dave
Ninja Editor

2008-07-22, 01:59

Express Shipping.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-07-22, 02:08

It's a terrible thing to hate yourself. Maybe the worst thing.

"Don't have negative thoughts. Remember your mantra."
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2008-07-22, 02:10

Quote:
Express Shipping.
ehm, that's not the problem. It'll probably all be backordered as it was with the D300 and the D3...
sunrain
Veteran Member

2008-07-22, 04:54

Petty larceny?
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2008-07-25, 19:47

Oh baby yes! My D700 was shipped today!

I realise you guys probably couldn't care less, and probably hate me for bumping this thread, but hey, I'll promise to share my thoughts once I get it.

17-35 f/2.8 has been my favourite lens. I'm really hoping it'll be just as good on the D700.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-07-25, 20:37

Nice... let us know how you like it Steve-o. Uber-jealous!