User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Podcasts
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-04-03, 15:14

Do people still listen to podcasts? What kind of podcasts do you listen to?

My favorite is Adam Carolla's podcast, and I also listen to This Week in Tech by Leo Laporte (but usually that's live through his sitckam stream).

I like the podcast because unlike talk radio, I can just pick up where I left off. Especially when I'm running errands in the car.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2009-04-03, 15:21

the Ricky Gervais Steven Merchant and Karl Pilkington podcast were great and now you have to pay for them in the books section but they are so worth a couple of bucks.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Edna Crabtree

2009-04-03, 15:31

Carolla's podcast is only a few weeks along, but I've been listening to it as well, mainly because the guy is such a conversational savant. I get a little geeked out about comedy, especially stand-up and late-night monologues so some of these guests are right in my wheelhouse.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2009-04-03, 15:39

I listen to podcasts to kill time driving between San Antonio and Houston on I-10. This Week in Tech is one of my favorites. Travel with Rick Steves is another good one.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-04-03, 15:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edna Crabtree View Post
Carolla's podcast is only a few weeks along, but I've been listening to it as well, mainly because the guy is such a conversational savant. I get a little geeked out about comedy, especially stand-up and late-night monologues so some of these guests are right in my wheelhouse.
Yeah, I caught on because I used to listen to his radio show.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-04-03, 15:51

Tiki Bar TV.
AWR
Veteran Member

2009-04-03, 16:05

Most certainly. I love them. I listen to the spoken shows during my commute (~45 minutes/day) and the music at work. Here are my favorites (in no particular order)

This American Life
- weekly, hour-long, excellent show about seemingly atypical takes on ordinary life phenomena

Slate Magazine Daily Podcast - I especially enjoy the Cultural and Political Gabfest podcasts

WGBH (Boston) Classical Performance Podcast - pound for pound, my favorite; one of those things that just makes my life better. Musicians or small arrangements visit the WGBH studio to play some classical music pieces, with short commentaries on the piece, the period.... Plenty of back casts; get them all. Great for listening to in the office, I find. God bless public radio.

NPR: Live Concerts from All Things Considered - another music gem, with a deep back catalog for picking out favorites or discovering new stuff. I love it for both. This is just the tip of the iceberg

BBC's In Our Time with Melvyn Bragg - host guides very informative discussion on interesting subjects such as The Library at Alexandria, The Baroque, The Boxer Rebellion. Recommended by an esteemed English ANer, it is a jolly good show (just ignore the relentless academics trying to be (and sound) as smart as they are).
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2009-04-03, 19:41

- This Week in Tech and Macbreak Weekly from "the TWiT network"
- Joystiq podcast. These guys are really intelligent about video games. And they're funny. And they're generally not offensive so I can listen to it with my son in the car.
- This American Life is a good one but it's hard to listen to in short snippets so I don't listen with the regularity I used to.
- occasionally Left, Right and Center and the Slate Political Gabfest.

I try to have a podcast a day to listen to so I can avoid the radio.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2009-04-03, 19:44

Yes they are great.

What Car video.

MacFormat.