User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Using arrow keys too quickly cancels text selection?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Using arrow keys too quickly cancels text selection?
finiteyoda

2005-05-22, 23:36

I've noticed in textboxes (TextEdit, Safari, Word, Mail, anything it seems) some weird behavior. I'm coming from Windows background, so maybe there's just something strange I don't understand, but here's what happens:

As we all know, you can hold down <shift>, then use the arrow keys to move the cursor to modify the selection range. However, if I hit up or down, followed RAPIDLY by left or right, it will cancel the selection (leaving me with nothing selected). If I hit up/down, followed by a slight pause, then left/right, the selection remains. So, the only differing factor seems to be how fast I hit the keys. A left/right needs to follow the up/down by less than about 500 milliseconds for it to occur.

Does anybody else have this problem? Is it a bug or a feature? (Altho what a weird feature...) I type at approx. 100wpm, and do all my navigation via keyboard, I'm just so used to typing at lightning speed on a PC, I'm suddenly finding that I have to go at a turtle's pace to keep the Mac from acting funky.

On a side note (maybe it's even related) I'm having issues with my KVM switch. The KVM switch is an older 8-computer Rose switch, which supports IBM, PC, or Unix style keyboards. I'm using a standard PS/2 keyboard and mouse. My Mac Mini is attached via a Belkin USB/PS2 adapter that the Apple store sold me. I find that about 4 or 5 times a day, the Command key gets "stuck", even if I restart its still stuck. I have to turn off the KVM switch AND unplug and replug the Belkin USB adapter to fix the problem. Is there a way to fix this? Should I take it back to the Apple store and complain while my warranty is still good?
finiteyoda

2005-05-23, 00:27

I've actually found a way to reproduce the Command key sticking issue, and strangely enough, its linked to the arrow keys/shift issue. Here is how I've managed to reproduce it:

In a textbox, position the cursor in the middle of a several lines of text. Hold down shift. Push the up arrow. Now, in less than approx. ~500 milliseconds, hold down Command, and push the left arrow. Normally, this would select a line and a half of text, except if you did it fast enough the selection will be canceled. (At least on my computer.) In addition, the command key will now be stuck (forcing me to reset the KVM switch and PS2/USB adapter).

The second step requires quite a bit of dexterity, to do it quickly enough (you have to hit two separate keys, in order, in half a second). This is probably why I was only getting this issue like 10 times a day. (It's getting worse now that I'm becoming more used to Apple's keyboard shortcuts for editing text )
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-05-23, 04:56

1.) Have you tried this using just the adaptor and not the KVM switch?

2.) Do you know anyone with a usb keyboard so you can test this directly on the Mac? If your getting that good at repeating it, try it on a display Mac next time your at the shops!

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!