AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Sharing internet from Windows to Mac

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Sharing internet from Windows to Mac
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2005-07-19, 11:29

Hello geniuses,

I have an iBook with an AirPort Extreme card, and I'm staying with a friend in France who has a Pentium M laptop, also with Wi-Fi of some description. Operating systems are Mac OS 10.4.2 and Windows XP Service Pack 2 respectively. We also have a crossover Ethernet cable with which I have successfully transferred files in both directions (with Windows Sharing enabled on the Mac), albeit it only by mapping a network drive from the Windows machine (i.e. I haven't figured out how to get the Windows hard disk to appear in the Mac Finder).

The Windows machine has 2 Mb/s internet via a USB modem, and I would love to know if it would be possible to share the internet connection with my Mac. Because of that darned USB modem with proprietary software, I presume the Windows laptop would have to allow my Mac to connect to the net rather than the other way around.

I don't have the money to buy anything (I'm staying for another two weeks), and I certainly don't have the networking knowledge to know how I should go about getting this to work, or indeed if it can be done. Also, the Windows version is French, and I'm not familiar enough with either Windows XP or the French language to be able to just mess around until something happens to work.

Am desperate to follow the Tour online!
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-07-19, 11:43

Have you tried looking in the help for windows? I think it says there...I also know that if you look on google you will definitely find an answer.

You could probably hook the mac up to the modem as well, most USB modems I've seen also have an ethernet jack, maybe some don't, I don't know.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2005-07-19, 12:04

It might well say in the Windows help, but it's all in French of course. Mac help didn't help. I Googled for half an hour and mostly came up with Microsoft Knowledge Base articles which didn't help a bit (aimed at network administrators: my network knowledge is non-existent unfortunately). If nobody knows off-hand I will of course Google it to death. My problem is I don't know where to start. For instance, should I aim for internet sharing over Ethernet or Wi-Fi?

The modem is a Thomson device which I've never seen before: it has no ethernet jack.

Thanks all the same.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-07-19, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
It might well say in the Windows help, but it's all in French of course. Mac help didn't help. I Googled for half an hour and mostly came up with Microsoft Knowledge Base articles which didn't help a bit (aimed at network administrators: my network knowledge is non-existent unfortunately). If nobody knows off-hand I will of course Google it to death. My problem is I don't know where to start. For instance, should I aim for internet sharing over Ethernet or Wi-Fi?

The modem is a Thomson device which I've never seen before: it has no ethernet jack.

Thanks all the same.
Is stuff different in the french version of windows? I really don't know I am asking.

I can't check right now because I'm at work and not near a PC I can use, but check out
this article. It might be what you are looking for.

Just going off of memory, I don't recall an option to share the Internet over wireless from windows, but I'm not sure. I know I've done sharing before and it was pretty easy.
context

2005-07-21, 09:58

I think what you need to do is to create a network bridge (and that is what the article above describes also) on the PC in the Network Connections file. This takes some connection and repeats it to another connection (in this case modem to wireless). So the Windows laptop can actually create a wireless network with its Wi-Fi card and reapeat the dial-up connection. I'm not sure all the steps, but I'll give it a look at work today and you can go through the steps in the article.
Cheers,
Justin

Last edited by context : 2005-07-21 at 10:01.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-07-21, 10:08

This makes me hate any ISP that gives you something other than a standard 10baseT connection to the outside world.
revolution

Send a message via AIM to revolution  
2005-11-08, 16:14

I have a question that relates to this. I wish to use my iBook around my house at uni, but still be connected to the internet. We have an ethernet network setup around the house (by the landlord so we can't change it to a wireless router) with 2 Macs, my iBook and my house mates eMac. I am the only person with wireless capabilities at the moment, but I was wondering, would I be able to use one of these to share my house mates connection off his eMac??

If so, how would we go about setting this up??

And, would I be able to do the same thing using this product on my parents PC back at home?? I get fed up of having to pinch the usb modem with no ethernet port all the time.