Official Space Exploration Coolness Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Official Space Exploration Coolness Thread
Page 30 of 31 First Previous 26 27 28 29 [30] 31  Next Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2022-10-11, 16:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
So did DART actually deflect the astroid in a meaningful fashion? I've not really dug into it. Saw some images posted about the cloud it produced when it hit it. I'm just wondering if the momentum actually made a difference.
Smashing success!
Quote:
Before the impact, the moonlet took 11 hours and 55 minutes to circle its parent asteroid. Scientists had anticipated shaving off 10 minutes, but Nelson said the impact shortened the asteroid’s orbit by 32 minutes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-11, 16:48

Interesting! Now how meaningful would it be if an astroid were heading to Earth and we wanted to redirect it. I think that was the overall goal here. If we knew soon enough it wouldn't take much to change a trajectory, in one of the three planes let alone any specific one.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-11-01, 17:56

Cool landing video brah...

https://youtu.be/62BUSczAvcs

kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-11-01, 18:12

I wonder how long it will be before SpaceX gets sloppy and crashes one of these things into a school bus?

As things stand, they've gotten so good at it that it's become boring. The U.S. space program seems to be like that. Even the Saturn program got so "average" that U.S. viewership dropped into the toilet and launches weren't even being broadcast anymore.

SpaceX is bonkers good, and I can't wait until Starship lights up the sky. That will be worth watching (not that Falcon 9 Heavy isn't fun to watch).

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
¡Damned!

2022-11-15, 17:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
Just can't wait to hear Eric Berger's next idiotic take.
I'd say... exasperated, maybe? The lede:

Quote:
After writing about NASA's Space Launch System rocket for a dozen years—certainly well into the hundreds of thousands of words—I've run out of things to say about the big, orange booster.

Well, almost. What I would like to say is that it is time, beyond time really, for this mission to fly.
Fingers crossed. Nighttime launch window from 1-3 AM EST.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-11-15, 18:11

Sucks that it would be at night. I want to actually see this thing go through the motions, and I do hope it flies.

But, it's NASA, and I've lost my taste for that wasteful monstrosity. I'm much more looking forward to Starship, which by the way, lit off 14 Raptors for 10 seconds, today, and made a lot of dirty things flutter about the pad. Looks more like a giant bomb went off than a rocket test-fire, but fun nonetheless!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
¡Damned!

2022-11-16, 07:56

The guys from Everyday Astronaut got some insanely cool footage – here's a link to liftoff time, but it's worth it to scroll to the 8 hour mark to catch some on-board close-ups and then to ~8:18:00 for the EA shots. Cool stuff.

So it goes.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-11-16, 10:13

“Oh, oh, it’s so bright.” I was expecting the next words to be something about double rainbows.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-11-25, 12:16

Me, sick, listening to local news on television in another room as woman repeatedly pronounces Orion as "Oreon", shouting out "Orion" every time she mispronounces it...

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-11-25, 14:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Me, sick, listening to local news on television in another room as woman repeatedly pronounces Orion as "Oreon", shouting out "Orion" every time she mispronounces it...

Out of curiosity, is the woman English (UK/GB)? I remember a sci-fi show from the 80s where they pronounced Orion as "Oreon", and it was produced/dubbed in the UK. Outside of that, I've never heard the same "Oreon" pronunciation.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-11-25, 14:47

Nope, she's an American. She just doesn't know how to pronounce it American-style.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-02-04, 09:07

Footage of Planets!

From the explanation:
An updated time-lapse of the previous 7-year time lapse! HR 8799 harbors four super-Jupiters orbiting with periods that range from decades to centuries. We have been monitoring this system using the Keck Observatory on Maunakea. This movie was made using real images taken from the telescope. Motion interpolation was used on 10 images of HR 8799 taken from over 12 years to create this movie.

https://youtu.be/x9EG3gbQ5P0

drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-03-08, 06:40

The Orion launch had problems.

The launcher itself was damaged.

Lines were corroded, a control panel and an elevator were fried.

The ablative shield on the capsule did not fare as expected, sustaining intense damaging burning instead of heat shedding we think of with the shuttle.

More challenges to solve.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2023-04-15, 18:18

Looks like Monday could be the day that Elon Musk's new toy gets to suffer it's first major explosion!

I hope Starship gets off the ground, but I think the launch attempt will be scrubbed. SpaceX doesn't care much if things go BOOM!, but this thing exploding on the pad would set them back a few minutes, at least!

What do you guys think? Are you ready for some fireworks?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-04-16, 15:25

I'm ready! If my internet connection holds out long enough I'll be able to watch it too!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-04-17, 08:21

They scrubbed the launch for today. Oh well.
¡Damned!

2023-04-20, 09:01

At least it made it off the pad! Exciting stuff, as usual.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-04-20, 09:06

Yeah, I meant to post here but almost missed the launch myself!

I ran around getting my kids and Mrs T to watch it though!

This was a cool shot I saw:

Followed by this gif someone already posted:

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-04-20, 10:10

Since I didn't really post one of it in flight (which was the whole point of the launch, get it clear of the tower), I'll share this one I found that looks awesome:

Also, apparently one of the NSF vans got clobbered by debris from the blast!
https://t.co/TF8GiLJzov

Edit: I was wondering where the debris came from... found it!
Before:

After:

Rapid excavation!

Last edited by turtle : 2023-04-20 at 10:24.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2023-04-20, 11:53

Well, that went well!

Love it. That shot with six engines out is spectacular!

Reminds me a bit of the N1 with all those glowing orbs.

Congrats on not obliterating the pad.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-04-20, 17:05

Just watched it. Not nearly as big a fail as I'd expected!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-04-21, 10:38

That is a hole!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2023-04-21, 11:15

Well, there's your problem!

All that concrete got spit back up into the engines.

Gonna take a couple minutes to fix that.

Edit: I'm wondering about all the "pipes"between the legs. That looks too big to be rebar, and I'm guessing those are fueling lines and/or electrical lines? The damage to the pad may be extensive, and they're going to have to rethink how they protect it.

Last edited by kscherer : 2023-04-21 at 11:46.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-04-21, 11:29

Wow
Quagmire
meh

2023-04-21, 16:34

Elon is channeling Steve Jobs big time. 1-2 months is most certainly optimistic. But I think in Elon's head is all they need to do is fill in hole, redo cement, good to go.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/...C8hevUpOQtAAAA

giggity
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-04-21, 17:08

"1 - 2 months"...

He smoked crack instead of pot yesterday!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-11-18, 11:48

Today was the second launch of Starship! It launched around 0800 EST and it as awesome. The pad survived, the separation of booster and Starship succeeded. Booster had RUD event a good bit after separation from Starship. About 24,000km downrange Starship had its RUD event.

It will be interesting to hear about what they learned from this launch. It actually checked all the boxes and succeeded in everything they REALLY wanted. A splashdown of the booster and Starship without RUD would have been great, but they didn't expect it to actually go that far.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-11-18, 14:06

This is a good video walking through the launch without having to see the whole thing all the way through if you want the Cliff Notes with some backstory too.

This is the visible "cloud" created with Starship's FTS activated:

This gives reference of where it happened based on flight path:

The launch pad also did REALLY well with the water cooled steel plate:

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-11-18, 14:54

Do y'all remember that TV show Salvage One with Andy Griffith? I was a kid, and it was definitely post-Star Wars (1977), when everything in the world decided it needed to go "space"/sci-fi (networks were getting old dust-pooters from classic TV - Andy Griffith, Lorne Greene, etc. - and putting them in outer space).

This guy played a junkyard dealer whose big idea was to build a spaceship, go to the moon and salvage all the stuff left behind by NASA's Apollo missions. That he wasn't immediately put into a home by his relatives, or arrested on national security concerns by the Feds, is the real miracle/hook of the show.

When you're a kid and you're dying for anything "space", this seemed like a totally reasonable premise. "Yeah, I can imagine someone doing that, sure!"

Good grief, I'd watch anything back in the day.

When I see these billionaire rockets taking off/testing (using old dust-pooters from classic TV, like William Shatner), I can't help but think back to that show. Normal(?) people looking to compete with, or outdo, NASA. Good luck...I bet their budget is bigger.

Off to YouTube to find clips or the opening of Salvage One. I can still hear Sheriff Andy's VoiceOver in my head...

UPDATE: Ah, found the opening credits/premise. You should be able to get a good idea of things from it. The opening credits make it look like a family sitcom, but it wasn't. At least it had no laugh track; I don't think it was intended to a a comedy. Maybe it was one of those Parks & Rec/Community/The Office forerunners?

By my count/memory, at least 14-15 astronauts working for NASA - and all their technical, engineering and safety personnel - have died in their service (two shuttle accidents, and the Apollo 1 launchpad fire, killing astronauts Grissom, White and Chaffee). So it's just weird that Opie's paw was hell-bent on doing it all (mostly) on his own, with a little help from some stock TV goofballs/filler characters. By all reality, every character on the show should've died a horrific, fiery death upon first launch, but I think they succeeded. I think it was a very short-lived show, so I don't know how far it got. I think I bailed shortly after the pilot and first few episodes, because even my 10-year-old self knew crazy nonsense when I got a good look at it.

It has popped into my head, in recent years, with all these billionaire rocket projects. they're doing what Griffith's character wanted to do, just on a bigger, better-funded scale. No junkmen among Bezos, Musk and whoever else. Branson? I admit to not fully keeping up with the CSP (Citizen Space Program) as much as I would've 45 years ago, in my idealistic, space/NASA-obsessed yoof. Good luck to all these guys. If NASA is no longer interested in full-scale exploration beyond our atmosphere, then somebody should be. I want there to be successes and advancements.

I don't wanna see anyone injured or killed at all. In fact, that's probably part of the reason I don't follow/watch this stuff because I just worry that it'll happen, and I'm not wanting to see Mr. Belvedere die on live TV. It's serious business, launching something into space. Just breaking out of our gravity/atmosphere is no small, easy task. I read/saw The Right Stuff!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2023-11-18 at 15:18.
¡Damned!

2023-12-19, 09:43

NASA’s Webb Rings in Holidays With Ringed Planet Uranus

Absolutely wild that we're able to see such things.

So it goes.