User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Custom resolutions and overscan iMac second display

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Custom resolutions and overscan iMac second display
Paranoid666au

2006-05-02, 08:59

I'm not quite sure where this post should go but anyway. I'm having a lot of trouble connecting my iMac to my CRT HD TV. I have connected the TV via VGA. First of all there isn't a lot of video modes to choose from and there's no interlaced modes at all. Also the over scan is really bad. Is there any way to get custom resolution on the Mac and adjust the overscan?

I'm really disappointed I wont be able to get my EyeTV to work.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-02, 09:08

You get an overscan setting (as well as interlacing, IIRC) when you connect via S-Video or Composite. VGA isn't designed for TVs (I'm surprised your TV even has an input for that).
Paranoid666au

2006-05-02, 09:13

Damn I need it to be HD. Mine is Sony HD CRT (with the 5 RCA, RGB input) I think there quite popular in the US. I want to watch HD TV on it with EyeTV and my iMac.

Is there any way to force more resolutions and overscan?
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-05-02, 09:26

You could get the EyeHome. That is what I am going to do to connect the movies and eyeTV recorded material to my LCD TV. The EyeHome has various types of connection, including component video which puts out at 480p I believe. Look to this thread for more details.
If you don't want to buy another device then sory I'm not sure how to answer your question; however, from the answers I have recieved, it seems like this is probably the best way to get the content to your TV and maintain the quality. Hope this helps!
Paranoid666au

2006-05-02, 11:19

Yea thanks for that. Unfortunatly you can't use the EyeHome to control EyeTV nt mention the further expence. And I it must be 720p and 1080i to feed to my TV.

I found this thing called SwitchResX which seems to do custom resolutions. If that doen't work I'll try instaling ATI catalist drivers on Windows XP. And if that doesn't work I guess I'll just have to get a Windows Media Centre PC, I know you can do custom resolutions and overscan ajustment on PC.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2006-05-02, 11:39

Rob Griffiths over at Mac OS X Hints managed to use DisplayConfigX ($12 registration fee) to connect his Mac Mini to his older RGB-only HD TV. He has an amazing write-up of all that he needed to do in order to make it work.

I don't know much about HD, but I wonder if DisplayConfigX would work for what you need, too.
Paranoid666au

2006-05-02, 13:29

Thanks alot for that, it should be helpful. I'm having limited succes with SwitchresX and think I'm nearing an acceptable solution, though it's been a lot of stuffing around.