Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Disturbing Truth About Apple, iPods and iTunes
Page 3 of 3 Previous 1 2 [3]  Thread Tools
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2006-04-30, 16:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
It's to make sure it doesn't get pinched by the seat. Note that the beans are up with the weenies too.

Don't think I've ever stumbled across that euphemism before...
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-04-30, 16:50

Just for the record, I'm the guy 2nd from the right.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-04-30, 22:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickers
Well that sure takes the guess work out of who might be juicin'...

Funny how none of them dress to the left or right...Up being the trend.
I can tell you from experience, that is the most comfortable way to "wear" your friend in a situation like that. I bike and I swim, so although I'm sad to say it, I have quite a bit of experience in squeezing my buddy into tight places like that.

Come waste your time with me
chucker2

2006-05-01, 08:08

Firstly, let me thank CHUCKER for his explanation of international music rights. Although I suspected that had something to do with it, I still think it would be nice if Apple had some sort of explanation of how the international stores work, either on the iTunes site or in the iTunes Help. They don’t.

When I made my post, I was trying to say, that whatever the source and whoever the author, the points made were interesting and valid enough to be worthy of serious discussion, not just the hair-raised-on-back-of-neck, jump-on-the-barricades defense of Apple at all costs against all criticism kind of slams and line by line, sarcastic rebuttals that made up the replies (at least until it descended into a camel-toe show).

Rather than provide any sort of intelligent explanation of why everyone here is so eager to jump to Apple's defense or address the original or my points, RichieB merely repeated what everyone else did, both in attitude and style. I am now happy to return the favor.

By the way are you some sort of editor in real life, because I am. So your style, spelling and capitalizing corrections are unneeded and unwanted. In a forum like this, I would be very hesitant to get involved in correcting others writing because you never know what typos and mistakes you've made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieB

By Whom? Also, you used the Passive voice very blatantly...
By "Canyouhearmenow" of course, whoever that may be and whether or not they are the original author (because I don't think you are in a position to prove he/she was not). And I would love it if you could explain how to use the passive (not a proper noun so no need for caps) more subtly.

Quote:
Apple computers is a corporation run by Steve Jobs and not a charity run by Mother Teresa. It ain't perfect. Accept it. Move on.
I never said it was a charity, I said they are not above criticism, which is in contrast to what you and most other posters on this thread seem to believe. And when I give Steve Jobs $2000 for a product I don't accept or move on when it craps out unexplicably 3 months later and the best help his crew can offer is "send it in and we'll take a look, you should get it back in six weeks."

Quote:
Obviously not! It didn't help you!
Are you implying that I'm an idiot. That is neither polite nor true. My point was, the downloadble help guides are simple fixes for simple problems (like make sure the computer is plugged in). There was nothing availalbe for more complex or uncommon issues and in fact, the one closest to my problem was only applicable up to OS 10.3.9, when I had 10.4.5, so I couldn't even be sure it was even applicable.

Quote:
Yea, not so much. I have done a lot of searches on that forum. While it is certainly not perfect (a.k.a. AppleNova), I hardly spent hours and hours to find answers there. A few minutes max.
Depends what you're looking for. Try searching for a very specific issue and you'll either get hundreds of returns, which often turn out to be different posts in the same thread, or one return that doesn't apply to the issue. And when you get to the end of a thread, more likely than not, no final solution is there. They either never solved their problem or didn't bother sharing the fix once they found it.

Quote:
Umm... because the COUNTRIES THEMSELVES ARE DIVIDED? BOUNDARIES? BORDERS? MAYBE? HUH?!
I guess you have never heard of the EU or the Maastricht treaty, which created a European common market for the free movement of goods, services, capital and people. I certainly consider paying to download a song to fall under three of the four. So thank you for your oh so enlightening explanation of why the common market (and currency, since I doubt you've ever heard of the EURO either) doesn't apply in this case. Thanks, you've been very helpful.

Quote:
It is AppleNova
In neither the address bar nor the title banner of the page itself is it capatalized. So you're wrong. Again, if you are going to go around arrogantly correcting others English, you'd better make sure your stuff is perfect.

Quote:
I see you capitalize every other country's name but America. Hmmm....
Actually "american" is an adjective, not the name of a country. However, technically you are correct that national adjectives (and names of languages) should be capitalized as well. And what does that "Hmm" mean. Unless you outrank me in the US Military, which is unlikely, you had better not be questioning my patriotism.

Quote:
I refer to your previous statement: YOU ARE AMERICAN!
No, again you're wrong. I refer YOU to my previous statement. It has nothing to do with me being an American, but with my credit card being issued by a US bank. I actually do have a Portuguese iTunes account, which I opened with my Portuguese credit card, which I got from my Portuguese bank by opening an account with my US passport. So my citizenship has aboslutley Zero to do with it. If you are going to go around correcting others you also need to actually read what they write.

Quote:
Yeah. Complain to the EU about why they haven't worked out the copyright issues. How DARE they remain independent of each other! The audacity of thinking they are separate countries.
Again, I'd like to bring to your attention of the existence of this thing called the European Union (singular). So who is "they" that are remaining independent of each other. Write clearly.

Quote:
Go then, to a brick and mortar store in Portugal where they let you listen to their entire stock while you stand in the store.
Actually, I can do just that. I can walk down the street to the FNAC and listen to any disc in the store, any song or part thereof.

Quote:
Again, Mr. Jobs is not God. Just another human being, and a Gosh Darn CAPITALIST PIG at that! How dare he make money?!
That doesn't excuse him from providing quality customer service to his company's most important branch.

Quote:
And that is exactly why the "music industry" is fighting Steve Jobs to have him raise the per song prices. Strange bedfellows indeed.
I am sure the music inductry hates all the added exposure and increased sales iTunes creates. My guess, though I don't know for sure, is that that pressure comes from the packaging, printing and transport segments of the CD-selling industry, which see their death knoll in iTunes.

Quote:
5% vs. 95%. You decide.
So I guess Steve would be happy to just pass on all that 5%. I am sure all Apple Investors would also be ecstatic if they just dissolved the whole iPod/iTunes branch and stuck with computers.

However, it turns out iPod and iTunes are even more important than just 5%. The 2006 Q2 Financial Report from Apple, published just two weeks ago (:http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/apr/19results.html) shows that iPod sales account for 39% and music related (iTunes downloads and iPod accessories) account for 11% of Apple's total sales vs. just 36% for computers. 8.5 million iPods were sold vs. just over 1 million CPUs. So I guess you're right. Apple doesn't really need the iPod line.

Seriously, iPod is the single most important branch for Apple and they need to provide customer service that matches that. Somebody WILL come up with a better, more flexible system for electronic music sales and when they do, Apple, as they currently are, will not be ready for it and will suffer.

Quote:
No, the original author of the article maybe did. Canyouhearmenow just pasted someone else's views.
Lastly, and again, I don't believe you can prove that canyouhearmenow didn't orginally write it.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-05-01, 08:26

chucker2, that was a very mature reply.

The original poster's points were lost when he/she decided to spam their viewpoint all over creation. When that happens, people assume that they're not dealing with someone who wants dialogue, but rather with someone who's going to post and run some random SPAM.

Personnally I can't stand the iTMS. They sell you crap quality audio at a premium price, and then restrict it on top of that. Sure, the recording industry execs have set the field up that way, so that's how it has to be played, but that doesn't mean I have to like their store.

That being said, the original post sounds like someone who is suffering a severe case of sour grapes.

Anyone buying and iPod should know about the lock-in that comes with the product. If you don't like it, talk to your congressional rep, because they're the ones backing the music industry. The majority of the complaints stem from a decision made well outside of Apple's boundries.

The rest is kind of whiny. Some downtime with iTunes, poor phone support for a free product (or $1 at a time, of which apple gets ten or twelve cents), etc.

There's no meat there.

Now if you want to see people get pissed off, talk to folks who had leaky capacitors on thier iMac and iBook MB's. That's a rallying cry that might get some traction.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
CoolToddHunter

Send a message via AIM to CoolToddHunter  
2006-05-01, 09:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
Personnally I can't stand the iTMS. They sell you crap quality audio at a premium price, and then restrict it on top of that. Sure, the recording industry execs have set the field up that way, so that's how it has to be played, but that doesn't mean I have to like their store.
I love the iTMS. I like being able to browse a huge database and sampling things I would never look at normally. It helps me figure out what my next physical CD purchase will be. Of course, if everyone did that, the store wouldn't be very good at all.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-05-01, 18:25

I didn't think this warranted a new thread, so I'll post it here. Apple has just announced that they've renewed contracts with the major record labels to keep pricing at 99c, and not being forced to introduce tiered pricing levels:

Quote:
Apple Computer on Monday revealed it had renewed contracts with the four largest record companies to sell songs through its iTunes digital store at 99 cents each. The agreements came after months of bargaining, and were a defeat for music companies that had been pushing for a variable pricing model.
Good news, I think
hiltond

Send a message via AIM to hiltond  
2006-05-01, 18:45

Good news indeed, now if only they would do something about the aforementioned audio quality.

Even still, cheap is good.
RichieB

2006-05-02, 17:43

Quote:
I am now happy to return the favor.
Yippee! ... No I am not going to go into a fighting match here. I have said what I wanted to say already.

Quote:
Unless you outrank me in the US Military, which is unlikely, you had better not be questioning my patriotism.
Thank you for your military service. I cannot outrank you in the US Military since I am no longer serving in the US Military! I finally got out in '04 after spending multiple years deployed to the sandbox post 9-11. What can I say, there was a limit to sand, bugs, bullets and mortars and other deadly things I could stand before reaching my "burn-out" point. Now I am fat and happy with my iBook in my lap and my iMac on my desk.

Here tonight, we have, ah, apple and orange. We all different, but in the end, we all fruit.