Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iMac G5 help needed please

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iMac G5 help needed please
Jeepin4Him

2006-08-06, 14:40

Hello all,

This is my first post, unfortunately it's because I've had an ongoing problem.

Here's the specs of the system iMac G5, 17 in., 1.6 Ghz, 256 Mb RAM, and an 80 Gig HD.

I've seen some others having problems with their iMac locking up on the start up screen and such like that. Mine was doing that some time ago (probably about a year or so).

I had called AppleCare, they tried to get me to reinstall the OS. However I needed to get off the phone to go to work so I tried it the next day. When I tried to pick where I wanted the OS installed my HD did not show up...infact nothing did. Like I said this was about a year ago. Since then I've been too busy to try to fix it...

Today I tried to turn it on again and now all I get is the little white lite and nothing else. I don't even think the fans are running.

I don't have AppleCare anymore and can't afford it, the warranty is done too. What should I do? Is the HD shot, something else. Is it even repairable? I'd really like to be able to do this myself...I'd rather not have to pay an arm and a leg to get this thing fixed.

I REALLY miss my Mac! In the mean time I ordered (just a couple days ago) a G3 333 iMac from Geeks.com...that should satisfy my Mac hunger for awhile.

Thanks so much.
rob05au

Send a message via ICQ to rob05au Send a message via AIM to rob05au Send a message via Skype™ to rob05au 
2006-08-06, 21:37

Can you by any chance post a pict of what is happening.

Also is you iMac G5 a 1st generation model because it maybe the logic board has gone bad and if so the 1st gen iMac G5's are covered by an extended warranty from apple for three years all is fixed free of charge.
Jeepin4Him

2006-08-07, 12:18

I can't get a pic at the moment...All that's happening is, well...really nothing. The screen is black and the little white lite on the front of the unit comes on and stays on...that's it, nothing else.

I'm 99% certain it's a 1st generation model. I seem to recall having to wait for a month to get mine because of a back order due to the initial rush when they first came out.

perhaps I should up apple again, except that I don't want to pay $50 just to talk to tech support.
CoolToddHunter

Send a message via AIM to CoolToddHunter  
2006-08-07, 13:41

Those are definately the spec's of a first gen iMac G5. Though I don't have any good suggestions for your problem, if you live close enough to an Apple Store, you could talk to the people at the genius bar and see if they think it might be the mainboard.