User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

iPhone Programming

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone Programming
brightnova

2007-01-09, 15:12

Wow, the iPhone is a reality. I can't wait.

So does anybody know how to go about programming for this? Do we need to wait for the hardware to come out before we can start developing software for it? Any old-school mac programmers remember how these sorts of things worked in the past when new hardware was introduced?

Thanks

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-01-09, 15:18

Dashboard is probably the way to go right now. That's a given, at least.

Dunno how open they're going to make it, or whether the 'OS X' running it includes little things like Carbon and Cocoa. I'm saying no. Cocoa *MAYBE*, but my gut says it's using Dashboard through and through.

brightnova

2007-01-09, 15:50

I don't know what graphics power this will have, but with the iPod already supporting games, the iPhone form factor and touch screen would make it ideal for casual games.

I eagerly await news on development for this platform. I hope there is more to it thank dashboard widgets.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-01-09, 19:05

Here's an interesting look at Dashcode in Leopard (a little more advanced than the Tiger beta they recently released):

http://developer.apple.com/leopard/o.../dashcode.html

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-01-10, 10:22

Engadget has a rumor saying only first party (i.e. Apple) software will be allowed to run on the phone. If this is true, the PDA isn't dead yet as 3rd party apps can still run on it.

I watched part of the keynote last night and when Jobs said the phone ran OS X, he showed a graphic of the capabilities and it included Cocoa and Core Animation, among other things.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-01-10, 12:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
Engadget has a rumor saying only first party (i.e. Apple) software will be allowed to run on the phone. If this is true, the PDA isn't dead yet as 3rd party apps can still run on it.

I watched part of the keynote last night and when Jobs said the phone ran OS X, he showed a graphic of the capabilities and it included Cocoa and Core Animation, among other things.
I'm very disappointed about the lack of third-party development. I actually think this thing could bomb hard without third-party support.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-01-10, 16:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTouch
The only two iPhones at the show were under glass, and Apple representatives said it is a "closed platform", refusing even to identify the specific processor it uses, and there's apparently no developer kit for it, though "developers who want to do applications [for the iPhone] are welcome to contact Apple developer relations.
Source.

A post of mine among others in a different thread where I said a little more on the topic and some other people did too.

MegaManXcalibur

2007-01-13, 01:15

This is what made me go from really wanting an iPhone to possibly wanting one some day if it's cheap enough. One thing I love about most smart phones at the moment is you can develop custom applications for them or download applications other people have developed. I was looking forward to playing with the iPhone and writing a few applications for it but alas that doesn't look like it will be happening.

I've spent a lot of time programming little applications for Palm OS which fill some basic needs I have on a PDA that weren't there. This like this make the PDA a device I carry with me every day.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-01-13, 08:50

Since there are not yet any official details about how (or if) one can program for the iPhone, please use this thread: iPhone is closed to 3rd-party development?