Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Dashboard and CPU Memory Usage

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Dashboard and CPU Memory Usage
naashraf

Send a message via ICQ to naashraf Send a message via Skype™ to naashraf 
2005-04-30, 22:49

I noticed that while Dashboard is active on the screen the CPU Memory usage hits the highest level.Captured screen is below. Do you see the same increase in the CPU memory usage? I have used Konfabulator before but the memory usage was not this much. Not sure but I think this Dashboard memory consumption is gonna reduce the battery life. Correct me if I am wrong.

Machine:PowerBook 12" Processor:1.5GHz PowerPC G4 Memory:1.25GB HD:100GB OS:Mac OS 10.4.8
Entertainment:iPod 4G Memory:20GB
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-04-30, 22:58

It could be because you have a shitload of them open (or one of them has a memory leak...)
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-04-30, 23:16

This is why you can't give people choice. They put 7 clocks at the bottom of their screen and pretend like it's necessary. Than they wonder why it pegs their CPU to be running javascripts CONSTANTLY to control them all.

I also despise that Apple has a game in their dashboard as default. That shouldn't be a widget. That should be a stand alone application.

People have widgets out just for the sake of having them visible. It's driving me crazy already, and they have POINTLESS ones that count the number of days until new years?! WTF is that?!

I'm sorry, but I am going to have an aneurism because people can't control themselves. They are like my grandpa who goes to the dollar store and buys 12 portable FM radios which have no purpose other than they are $.99

</rant>

naashraf, nothing personal, almost everyone is doing this type of thing.

Last edited by ast3r3x : 2005-04-30 at 23:41.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-30, 23:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
CONSISTENTLY
I would expect them to be consistent if I have two or twenty. I think you mean CONSTANTLY.
ast3r3x

2005-04-30, 23:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I would expect them to be consistent if I have two or twenty. I think you mean CONSTANTLY.
*fixed*

1) Never correct a rant
2) Damn spell check.
3) Damn me not checking what I picked from the spell check option.
4) Damn my inaccurate typing during rants.
5) Damn the man.
naashraf

2005-04-30, 23:43

Nah......I know it is not personal.......You know it is new so people get excited.....You are right there was no point having 7 clocks and other widgets perhaps i will never use. Now I have reduced the number of widgets, or clocks as I had them too many, and the CPU usage is less then half now

Machine:PowerBook 12" Processor:1.5GHz PowerPC G4 Memory:1.25GB HD:100GB OS:Mac OS 10.4.8
ast3r3x

2005-04-30, 23:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by naashraf
Nah......I know it is not personal.......You know it is new so people get excited.....You are right there was no point having 7 clocks and other widgets perhaps i will never used. Now I have reduced the number of widgets, or clocks as I had them too many, and the CPU usage is less then half now
Well I have to admit after my post, I was desperately hoping that was the culprit, or I'd look like even more of an ass
naashraf

2005-05-01, 00:00

Well, I admit I was using only one clock and then I read this post and noticed the first image on the post shows a desktop with 7 clocks and every other widget so far released and I thought "Why Not" and went for it. Perhaps that guy does not know how much CPU memeory is being used.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-05-01, 00:41

I've just gotta ask.

nashraaf, how much memory does your CPU have?

naashraf

2005-05-01, 00:46

I know, I know what is your point here
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-05-01, 12:09

I wouldn't be too worried -- after all, what else are you going to be doing when Dashboard is up?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-05-01, 17:23

Thought this would be of interest: (From an Apple dev over at slashdot)

Quote:
Is there a way to make Dashboard widgets sticky on the desktop?

You don't want them to. One of the benefits of the Dashboard layer is the fact that when the Dashboard isn't visible, the widgets are completely suspended, consuming no CPU cycles at all. If you put a widget on the screen outside the Dasboard layer --which of course you can do, if you run Dashboard in debug mode --it'll execute its run loop all the time, sucking up CPU cycles unnecessarily.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-05-01, 17:44

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...50422172929402
has the hint to run Dashboard in debug mode...

Wait, so that means effectively dashboard is ALWAYS "active" and even the widgets that are not visible would still be updating?

Bummer...

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-05-01, 22:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...50422172929402
has the hint to run Dashboard in debug mode...

Wait, so that means effectively dashboard is ALWAYS "active" and even the widgets that are not visible would still be updating?

Bummer...
When the Dashboard gets hidden, the onHide event gets sent to all widgets. They have to implement a manual means of not updating -- most do this just by the code of onHide(sleep(), effectively "going to sleep" while the Dashboard isn't visible. Once the Dashboard reappears, they get sent another event and then continue.

They can, of course, opt not to "sleep" at all, which can in certain situations be useful.