User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Car Talk
Page 4 of 68 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  Next Last Thread Tools
Quagmire
meh

2009-12-21, 23:10

I would say it failed as I totally forgot about the 9-3x.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-12-22, 01:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
I would say it failed as I totally forgot about the 9-3x.
Apparently, it hasn't gone on sale in the US yet? It's not on Saab's US site.

That's weird, because it actually seems like a very US-facing product -- all it is is a lifted (1.4 inches IIRC) 9-3 SportCombi with two-tone cladding and more standard features (yay roof rails!), but it's a "crossover," not a "wagon." That's very important. It seems designed to escape the stigma wagons have in the US while offering a very (let's face it) car-like crossover, which is what some people want. Yet the US didn't get it (yet?)...huh.

Saab's real relaunch, of course, would have been the new 9-5, Saab's new flagship with a new design language and their first 9-5 update...ever. (The current model dates back to 1998.) Along with that would have been the 9-4x, based on the SRX platform but a more significant (and successful) badge job than either the 9-2x and 9-7x. A really new sedan and a real crossover...just what Saab needs to be relevant again. If I were Saab's new owners, I would actually skip the 2010 model year and launch the 9-5 and 9-4x in the US at NAIAS in January as the first 2011s.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Last edited by Robo : 2009-12-22 at 01:48.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2009-12-22, 02:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosferaDrew View Post
That's Tuna Canyon Road.
It's a magnificent road above Malibu (there are many up there) and it's one-way straight down.

Here's a little video of the trip down.
Nice road indeed. So you took your pictures at 3:20 right ?
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2009-12-22, 14:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
Top Gear talk also strongly encouraged.
Indeed! I've been following Top Gear for several months now, and watched pretty much everything since season 6. Very addictive show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
First car (1996-1998): 1989 Toyota Tercel EZ, manual 4-speed.
Tomoe, how was your experience with the Tercel? Mine is a 1992 Tercel DX 5-speed - I've had it for 8K miles and just under a year.

It's the first car that I've owned and it's been very worthwhile so far - purchased from a professor for $950 last January. Fuel economy is quite better than EPA (my record for one tank is 42.05 MPG; I typically get 36-39 highway and 31-34 city).

You ask me for a hamburger.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2009-12-22, 23:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Apparently, it hasn't gone on sale in the US yet? It's not on Saab's US site.
9-3 Sport Combi is one of the best looking cars out there....9-3X? Not digging the lifted look. And from what I've read the price may be north of $40K!! That's too much for Saabs in my opinion. They just aren't worth it. If I was in the market for that type of vehicle I'd probably buy a Forrester. A lot cheaper and way more reliable.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-12-23, 01:11

This season of Top Gear has been a big disappointment. I hope they don't go out on this one, i read that the next ep should bring it back up to our lofty standards though.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-12-23, 03:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans View Post
Indeed! I've been following Top Gear for several months now, and watched pretty much everything since season 6. Very addictive show.

Tomoe, how was your experience with the Tercel? Mine is a 1992 Tercel DX 5-speed - I've had it for 8K miles and just under a year.
It's the first car that I've owned and it's been very worthwhile so far - purchased from a professor for $950 last January. Fuel economy is quite better than EPA (my record for one tank is 42.05 MPG; I typically get 36-39 highway and 31-34 city).
I hope your car went in with the recall, I know they had to do a lot of rebuilds on early 90's Tercels.
Quagmire
meh

2009-12-23, 10:00

The Chinese has bought one Swedish brand. Geely just bought Volvo.

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=31664
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-12-23, 11:59

Quote:
The Chinese has bought one Swedish brand. Geely just bought Volvo.

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=31664

I'm a little confused. Ford just guaranteed themselves a new competitor...one that's wanted an in on the US market for a while and certainly won't let go, and one that now has a brand with a safe image that will counteract their biggest weakness (safety). How is this a good idea for Ford? Because they got $2B for it? That's really not that much money, if you think about it. And what do they have now, in that high-end (ish) space? Lincoln? Give me a break.

I wanted a C30, but now I'm not so sure. It's still the same C30, of course, but inferior Volvos in the future could hurt Volvo's brand image and tank its resale value. It'll be a while before we see any models that reflect the change in ownership, but then again, it'll be a while before I can afford a C30, too.

Oh well. We're suddenly faced with an overabundance of adorable small cars, so there's lots of other choices...but my first one was still the C30. It's like the Saab 9-1 we never got.

This is a bad year to be a fan of Swedish cars.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Quagmire
meh

2009-12-23, 17:50

So the Goodyear Eagle F1 All Seasons didn't last 8,000 miles....... The fronts are worn out on the outer edges and Goodyear does not make the F1's in the size of the Aura's rim anymore so it is an all 4 job. So after research, I have narrowed it down to the Assurance Triple treads( my dad has a fierce loyalty to Goodyear) vs the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position. I really liked the F1's for their grip and handling in dry and wet conditions. Good grip, response, etc. The Pole Positions would give me the closest performance to the F1's. My dad with his loyalty prefers the Assurance triple treads despite telling him that I have been told that the Triple Treads have the same wear problem as the F1's. He is concerned that getting a similar high performance tire as the F1's, they will not last. I told him I have read over at tirerack, that people have put on 35,000-50,000 miles with no problems.

So anyone out there that can give me any insight with these two tires?

giggity
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2009-12-23, 18:08

Not with those two tires specifically. I bought some 18" Bridgestone Potenza RE-11s for my car, and I've been happy with them. Great performance in the dry, but I don't think I'd trust them too far in the slippery stuff. But I live in the desert, so... yeah. I have a set of Blizzaks for snow.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2009-12-23, 18:13

Why do people assume Geely will somehow ruin Volvo just because they are Chinese? As for Ford, they had to sell. They have a crushing debt burden and the $2.8 billion (they paid $6.5B I think) is needed to pay some of it down. Remember, just because they didn't take a bailout doesn't mean they are in good shape. Like Land Rover and Jaguar, Volvo was a bad investment for them. Time to focus on the core business.

As for Lincoln, they can compete if they try. This concept is pretty interesting.....

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-12-23, 22:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
Why do people assume Geely will somehow ruin Volvo just because they are Chinese?
It's not just because they're Chinese. I buy lots of products that are made in China. It's that Geely doesn't exactly have the best reputation. The average Geely is also a good bit lower-end than the average Volvo, methinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM
As for Lincoln, they can compete if they try.
But that's the rub, isn't it? Ford really can't afford to try, with Lincoln. They're pouring all of their money into the Ford brand, which is mostly pretty smart, but it means they're not that competitive in the luxury space.

I don't think many luxury buyers today even think to consider Lincoln. It's not that they're necessarily bad cars, although I don't think they're great -- it's just that Lincoln really isn't in the public consciousness like BMW or Lexus or Mercedes-Benz. Getting there would take more advertising than Ford can afford (especially since they also have to split that advertising with Mercury).

I'm not saying Ford should kill Lincoln-Mercury. Not now, anyway, when they don't have anything else to fall back on (no more PAG!). Besides, having that sort of half-life (selling gussied up Fords at a premium) allows Ford to, without a huge investment, sort of have a presence in a market they normally wouldn't have access to. But I don't think they'll ever be truly competitive in that market without a larger cash outlay -- some unique models, and more advertising. (Let's be real, the only reason they've been around for the last decade was because of the Navigator.)

And I normally go for unique/quirky concept cars, but IMO that Lincoln is ugly. But to each his own, I guess

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2009-12-23, 23:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
As for Lincoln, they can compete if they try. This concept is pretty interesting.....

That is interesting. Even if I had the money for a luxury car, I wouldn't touch something that looks like that with a ten foot poll.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-12-23, 23:22

I'm running Pirellis and Bridgestones. Do some research on tire rack, if you haven't already
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-12-24, 02:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
That is interesting. Even if I had the money for a luxury car, I wouldn't touch something that looks like that with a ten foot poll.
I mean, I like most of it. It's just that bizarre "fold" character line, where it juts out just below the beltline (above the door handles). That ruins it. (That, and I don't particularly care for the contrasting roof treatment, or the logo placement on the C-pillar.)

But the rest of it is OK. I like the idea of a small-ish (by Lincoln standards, anyway) luxury hatch, and it seems to wear Lincoln's new corporate grille pretty well. And I like the color. It matches our holiday theme

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2009-12-24, 02:52

For me it is the entire package, I think hatchbacks are ugly to start with (the only one I think is okay is the Toyota Matrix), so that doesn't help it any in my books. I hate the change in colour between the roof and the lower part of the body too. Also, the front grill looks overdone, and needs to be smaller.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2009-12-24, 13:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I hope your car went in with the recall, I know they had to do a lot of rebuilds on early 90's Tercels.
No sir, not mine. In fact, it's needed little work done in the past few years (previous owner kept meticulous records), only the sundry components that readily fail in a cold climate due to salted/rough roads and potholes. I've put a few hundred into it for a new catalytic convertor, shocks, and brakes, but nothing unexpected.

You ask me for a hamburger.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-12-30, 10:48

Saab has received a stay of execution for at least another week or so while GM considers its options in detail. A good sign? Here's an even better one: GM will actually resume building Saabs in January, including the new 9-5. Still trying not to get my hopes up, but...

*snoopy dance*

Autoblog

Jalopnik

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2009-12-30, 16:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
I mean, I like most of it. It's just that bizarre "fold" character line, where it juts out just below the beltline (above the door handles). That ruins it.
Yup, the Bangle Bustle, extended through the mid-section. Bad. The rest looks good, aside from the usual over-sized grille and badges every where (I blame Jon Ive for the oversize logos on things now).
Quagmire
meh

2010-01-01, 16:24

Now this is interesting. Tim Cook new GM CEO?

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...hatter-2009-12
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-01-01, 16:26

According to BusinessInsider, Apple's own Tim COOk (see what I did there?) is executive search firm Spencer Stewart's "top candidate" for the position of CEO of GM.

Of course, this is based off an anonymous tip. And being Spencer Stewart's first choice doesn't mean that Cook will be willing to leave Apple. Still, I thought it was worth noting. Cook filled in as CEO when Jobs was away; maybe he found that he likes the idea of being a CEO? He's pretty obviously next in line to the Apple throne, but I think/hope Jobs will be perched there for some time yet.

To be honest, I think damn near anybody from Apple would be good for GM. GM needs to do exactly what late-nineties Apple needed to do: Drastically streamline the product matrix, build a brand that people are in love with, and then supplant an uneven dealer network with controlled, consistent, customer-pleasing COR stores.

It's unlikely that GM will take steps that drastic on their own, at least not until they absolute have to (and by then, it will be too late). GM needs their Jobs, or at least somebody just like him. Right now they have a bunch of old-guard execs, a CFO from Microsoft, and a handful of Ed Whitacre's AT&T buddies.

I doubt Cook will leave Apple, but I hope someone with a similar level of insight -- maybe somebody with an actual vision, perhaps? -- finds a seat as GM's CEO.

EDIT: Damn you Quag at least my post is more informative...

Quagmire
meh

2010-01-01, 16:35

The only "old-guard" exec left at GM is Bob Lutz. The rest are outsiders like Whitacre and Liddell or young executives like Mark Reuss who successfully ran Holden.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-01-01, 16:56

Quote:
The only "old-guard" exec left at GM is Bob Lutz. The rest are outsiders like Whitacre and Liddell or young executives like Mark Reuss who successfully ran Holden.
From Fortune's Dumbest Moments in Business 2009:

Quote:
GM's closed culture

Almost every executive at General Motors has spent his or her entire working life there, and some say that's part of the troubled automaker's problem.
That's why it seemed noteworthy when CEO Fritz Henderson announced in October that he would find an outsider to fill GM's top North American sales job.

But Henderson didn't seem to look too hard -- just a few hours later, he said he had given the job to Susan Docherty, a GM veteran of more than 20 years.

The automaker eventually looked outside its ranks for a CEO when it pushed Henderson out two months later. It hired GM chairman and former AT&T CEO Ed Whitacre, who has admitted in the past that he knows little about cars.
Let's not forget that Buick/GMC manager Brian Sweeney, who took the position after Michael Richards quit after just nine days on the job, is also a 25-year GM vet. And I'm not even looking, this is just from memory. There's still tons of old blood at GM.

Quagmire
meh

2010-01-01, 17:01

True. Thought you meant top management that ran GM into the ground.

Though I have to correct that link, Ed is interim CEO of GM.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-01-01, 17:25

Quote:
True. Thought you meant top management that ran GM into the ground.

Though I have to correct that link, Ed is interim CEO of GM.
Thank god.

Although to be real, the best thing ever for GM would be for them to find some other iCEO...

All the important people at Apple should just take over GM for six months, on a strictly "interim" basis, and cut the crap and do all the stuff that nobody else has the balls to do. Just to help them in this turnaround period. Jobs was the CEO of two companies for years, he could do it again...

Jony Ive actually wanted to be an auto designer, originally. I'd buy an Ive-designed Cadillac.

Quagmire
meh

2010-01-01, 18:16

Jobs I am sure would be a good pick. But, his health is questionable right now. Plus, it wouldn't be good that only 7 people knew about the new Cadillac iMac internally.

Spy photographers would drop in number due to Jobs telling the engineers driving the mules to shoot on site to ensure secrecy when testing.

giggity

Last edited by Quagmire : 2010-01-01 at 18:28.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-01-01, 19:07

GM isn't coming back. It will be sold off piecewise within a decade.
Quagmire
meh

2010-01-01, 20:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
GM isn't coming back. It will be sold off piecewise within a decade.
Maybe, maybe not. Today GM shed over $30 billion in costs and if Opel or Saab doesn't screw anything up, GMNA could be profitable.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...s-today-87516/

giggity
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-01-01, 21:32

I'm not sure how selling of GM piecemeal would even work, since all of their current vehicles share all of their platforms -- it's not like there's specific Cadillac platforms/factories/parts, Chevy platforms/factories/parts, &c. Hell, Buick and GMC share a dealer network (in addition to vaguely similar market positioning).

GM will be fine. They just need someone with an actual vision for once, someone who can create cars that can appeal to more just "car people" and brand loyalists, someone isn't afraid of killing some sacred cows and upsetting some people to get there. But that shouldn't be hard to find. Right?