User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")
Page 24 of 33 First Previous 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28  Next Last Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2022-01-15, 18:25

I've been playing catch-up this week. Hawkeye 🏹 was delightful, and that surprise appearance by Vinnie D in the end episodes was . I really really hope he has a future in the Disney MCU.

Spoiler (click to toggle):
Haven't seen it yet, but Charlie Cox is reported to be in the latest Spider-Man. I'd love to see some more of the Netflix crew folded into the current universe.

So it goes.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-01-19, 11:04

Amazon just put out a new teaser for their Lord of the Rings series and I'm just... confused?

https://twitter.com/LOTRonPrime/stat...16516327915522

The teaser is just a voiceover of that poem "Three rings for the elven kings...". I thought Amazon's series was going to take place way earlier than the events in the LOTR books?

Didn't we already do this with Peter Jackson? Does Amazon really think they can top that?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-19, 11:34

Probably.

Hollywood is all about topping itself, rebooting things for "newer generations" (I hear Orcs wear skinny jeans and take part in Tiktok challenges) and raking in that $$$.

If this is a rehash/remake/"reimagining" (my favorite) of those Jackson movies, that's just...sad. But, it has been 20 years now, so...for people with the attention span of a firefly, that may as well be 50+ years.

How many people have played a rebooted/reset Batman in that same period?
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-01-19, 11:35

If Amazon wants to piss away a billion dollars on that, be my guest. But that teaser does not have me excited at all about this series. Looks like something a Youtuber would've cobbled together as a pretend sizzle reel.

I thought Amazon's agreement with the Tolkein estate and New Line Cinema (who, IIRC, still own some of the rights) said that they couldn't adapt the core LOTR or Hobbit books and were limited to Silmarillion and its ilk, so maybe this is just a weird teaser they through together without thinking it through.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2022-01-19, 21:21

I think I heard someone claim the LotR thing was just a "title reveal", not a trailer or teaser.

Movie/TV promotion has gotten too complicated.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-30, 14:45

What do you guys think of when you hear "Sundance TV" (former Sundance Channel)?

For those unaware, here are the first two paragraphs from the network's Wikipedia page:

Quote:
Sundance TV (formerly known as Sundance Channel) is an American pay television channel owned by AMC Networks that launched on February 1, 1996. The channel is named after Robert Redford's character in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and, while it is an extension of Redford's non-profit Sundance Institute, the channel operates independently of both the Institute and the Sundance Film Festival.

Originally, Sundance was devoted to airing documentaries, independent feature films, short films, world cinema, and coverage on the latest developments from each year's Sundance Film Festival. The channel has since incorporated both original and acquired programming and became fully ad-supported in 2013, with programming being edited for content soon thereafter.
Pretty heady stuff. There's that connection, at least in name if not day-to-day operations, to the Sundance Film Festival, Robert Redford and the stuff at the beginning of the second paragraph above.

All that to say, for some reason, they've opted to spend all weekend showing the entire three-season run of Gilligan's Island.

Not M*A*S*H*. Not Mary Tyler Moore or All in the Family. Not The Honeymooners or Taxi. Gilligan's-#%$!^*-Island

Every time they cut to a commercial and they play some lofty, "we air quality programming" promo for the network, I just chuckle..."well, you ain't today!”

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-01-30 at 14:57.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-01-30, 16:09

Just go with it, before someone has the idea of doing a gritty, realistic Nolan-esque reboot of Gilligan's Island.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-01-30, 16:52

Howard Hesseman, aka Dr. Johnny Fever of WKRP dies at 81.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-31, 10:45

I loved watching that show as a kid. I'm sure a lot of things went over my head, but I liked the setting and the entire cast. PS - Bailey, always (in the whole "Ginger vs. Mary Ann" thing, I always go for the smarter, more natural/grounded, girl-next-door type). Jennifer never even registered on my radar; Bailey (Jan Smithers) was right there alongside Lynda Carter, Lindsay Wagner and Erin Grey as my pre-teen, boy-of-the-70's first crushes.

Funny show, with a great cast...everyone was so different. Even as a 10-year-old, that wasn't lost on me..."he's cool, he's funny, he's nerdy, she's smart, he's wormy, he's dumb, etc." I knew what I was in for, any time one of them appeared on screen..."Mr. Carlson is going to misunderstand something, Andy has to fix it, Herb is going to get shot down again, Johnny is going to say something funny and leave the room", etc.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-31, 11:23

While not an actual TV show, in the past couple of weeks, for whatever reason, I've allowed my TV to settle on ID channel in the background, as I work (or read/do crosswords in the evening). It's basically a "true crime" channel, with shows talking about various cases (domestic stuff, serial killers, passion killings, cheating spouses killing each other for insurance money, weirdo neighbors/stalkers/co-workers taking things too far, etc.).

It's grim at times, but the reenactments are always interesting. Sometimes the acting is a bit spotty, but it kinda draws you in and makes you feel for the victims (and realizing that real life was surely 20x worse than the reenactments could ever truly convey).

The one thing I've learned is that if someone is stalking/harassing/following you, the cops aren't going to do shit until you're dead (or attacked and severely injured). Even getting (worthless) restraining orders or other "legal" remedies is always presented as an obstacle course of bureaucracy, feet-dragging, misplaced paperwork, etc.

Seems to be a running theme across a lot of these stories.

"Ma'am, give us a call the moment he kicks in your door and starts stabbing you...we'll be there in 10-25 minutes."

Uh...thanks?

It's scary how some people just fixate/obsess on a co-worker, neighbor, classmate, etc. and can't seem to take "no" for an answer or even just "dude, relax...staring at her from across the parking lot every single day isn't going to win her affection". Weirdos never know how to just play it cool, or be okay with not being someone's cup of tea. They gotta get all stalk-y and violent, as though that will up their chances.

And then there are the shows/cases where husbands (usually husbands) who take out these huge life insurance policies on their wives, and then the wife dies about four days later under freaky, highly-questionable circumstances. Do these guys think the cops aren't going to dig and check that sort of stuff? That's Police Detective Work 101. Not one of these guys gets away with it. They always show up and arrest him as he's making out with his secretary/side-piece (the reason he killed the wife), and the episode ends on a Ken Burns scan-and-pan on some hapless, orange-suited mugshot of the criminal mastermind (doing 45-to-life).

You see enough of these shows, you recognize all the tropes and cast of characters. "This guy is bad news...and she's an idiot. And these cops couldn't find it with two hands and a flashlight...this isn't going to end well." And it never does.

The one positive, encouraging thing I've seen from a few episodes is that the cases were so awful that it actually caused some state laws to be changed/improved. Granted, it took the horrible, violent and heartbreaking death of an innocent person to bring it about, but hopefully others won't have to go through what they did. Until just a decade or so ago, a person in Massachusetts couldn't get a restraining order against a stalker/threat who wasn't family or an immediate acquaintance (romantic partner, estranged spouse, etc.), leaving the door wide open for random co-workers, neighbors, customers, classmates, etc. to stalk, harass and terrorize the objects of their fixation with impunity. It took a woman being blown to pieces by a pipe bomb for Massachusetts to realize "hey, you don't have to be a relative or estranged spouse to be an unhinged, dangerous asshole. We should probably acknowledge that in the laws...".

Awesome...took long enough.

The state senator they interviewed for that episode couldn't pat her own back enough for her role in getting the law changed, and I'm like "lady, you've been in office for years...maybe you should've pushed this through before numerous people were murdered by malcontents and wingnuts?! Don't go nominating yourself for Humanitarian of the Decade now...".

Politicians...want blame for nothing, credit for everything.

That story was absolutely awful. But there was nothing anyone could/would do. And everyone - family members, local police, her co-workers and friends, etc. - were all 100% aware of a) who the guy was, and b) what he was doing. He literally blew her to pieces with a homemade pipe bomb placed on her stoop (and with a return address of her sister, which he'd somehow acquired, so she'd think it was legit and something she'd feel was okay/safe to open).

Pure evil. Can't imagine the final thought running through her head; hopefully it happened so fast that there really wasn't one.

Here's that particular story. Can you imagine that clue-starved, combover weasel being the reason your daughter or friend is no longer alive?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-01-31 at 11:47.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-02-09, 18:22

Life gets better.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-02-14, 12:23

Well, it appears this Rings of Power thing isn't so much a remake of LOTR. Rather, a grand adventure with VoiceOver from a 6 year-old.

Apparently there was a Super Dumb Sporting Event™ yesterday between some goats and pussy cats, and the new trailer was shown during a pause in the "action" of 22 rich men chasing a ball around. I almost cared, but then I didn't. Saw the trailer today on YouTube.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
¡Damned!

2022-02-14, 12:49

I'd just read an article this past weekend that explained the timeframe and source material. I'm not a huge Tolkien fan, but this could be interesting.

Quote:
Previously, this part of the story was most famous as ruins. After the success of his 1937 children’s story, The Hobbit, Tolkien turned his attention back to a volume of Middle-earth history, which his publishers rejected. (A more complete version was published posthumously as The Silmarillion.) So, as the second world war of his lifetime raged around him, Tolkien crafted an adventure about beings from very different societies putting aside their differences to stamp out an overpowering evil. This, of course, was The Lord of the Rings.

In that story, an unlikely fellowship ventures into Mordor to destroy Sauron’s ring. Along the way, Tolkien wanted the characters to pass through a scarred landscape full of the remains of the many civilizations and battles that had come before. Their journey, after all, was not about confronting a new danger but finally eradicating an ancient one—a scourge of malevolence that had tormented the land for eons. Tolkien dreamed up whole kingdoms, then collapsed them for background.

The effect worked almost too well. After the publication of The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers—in July and November of 1954, respectively—readers became obsessive. “Most people want more (and better) maps,” Tolkien wrote to a friend in 1956. “Musicians want tunes and musical notations. Archeologists enquire about ceramics, metallurgy, tools and architecture…. Historians require more details about the social and political structure.” To give them everything, Tolkien informed his publisher, “would require a book at least the size of Vol. 1.”

Instead, borrowing from his rejected Silmarillion, he squeezed thousands of years of history into about 150 pages of postscript, which became known as the Appendices. These timelines, genealogies, and notes on language and culture became so important to Tolkien that he even stalled the publication of the final book, The Return of the King, to complete them. “They play a major part in producing the total effect,” Tolkien explained to a foreign publisher in 1961, “producing the compelling sense of historical reality.”
The whole article is here if anyone is interested.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-02-14, 12:53

It sounds like the whole thing is going to be quite immersive. I've been watching GOT for the first time and quite like it. If this enterprise works along the same line, it should be fun.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-02-17, 13:17

It’s official: Stranger Things Ch. 4 Vol. 1 on May 27, Vol. 2 on July 1. Then it all comes to a close in season 5.

https://twitter.com/stranger_things/...833122820?s=21
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-02-17, 13:44

I wish I could get back into this. I loved that very first season, but I just couldn't stick with season 2. There was something missing or "off" to me. It seems to be heavily based on "gotcha" and leg-pull tactics...nobody's ever really dead, nothing's every really resolved, things are never quite what they seem, "weirdness" can explain/justify/excuse everything, etc.

I can enjoy all that, to a point. But when it's just ladled on, over and over, I'm like "okay, enough already..." and move on. But that's probably a flaw/shortcoming (impatience, short attention-span, question everything, can't ignore plotholes, etc.) on my part, I don't know.

Those "kids" aren't kids now. Are they in college, I wonder? Or will they do the Beverly Hills 90210 thing and have actors well into their 20's still play high-schoolers? On a related note, I see where Millie Bobby Brown turns 18 in two days, on Saturday. Poor Chris Hansen will finally get a rest.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-02-17, 14:04

I've seen some clips of Reacher on YouTube, which looks to be an 8-episode series centered around Jack Reacher. From all I've read, the actor playing him in this show matched the description of the character in the books far more than Tom Cruise did in those two movies (which I enjoyed, BTW).

Anyone else watching/seeing this? I think all episodes were released at once, so it could be a proper binge thing on a rainy Saturday (vs. the Disney+ Star Wars thing of releasing one episode each week for two months).
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-02-17, 14:11

I'm really looking forward to Stranger Things S4. Breaking into two volumes seems like an odd move as opposed to just a long season, but whatever. I'll still watch them.

True it doesn't have the same pull that season one did, but this isn't Book of Boba after all.

They apparently also announced that Season 5 is the final season. So we know they will all die by then.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-02-17, 14:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
I wish I could get back into this. I loved that very first season, but I just couldn't stick with season 2. There was something missing or "off" to me. It seems to be heavily based on "gotcha" and leg-pull tactics...nobody's ever really dead, nothing's every really resolved, things are never quite what they seem, "weirdness" can explain/justify/excuse everything, etc.

I can enjoy all that, to a point. But when it's just ladled on, over and over, I'm like "okay, enough already..." and move on. But that's probably a flaw/shortcoming (impatience, short attention-span, question everything, can't ignore plotholes, etc.) on my part, I don't know.

Those "kids" aren't kids now. Are they in college, I wonder? Or will they do the Beverly Hills 90210 thing and have actors well into their 20's still play high-schoolers? On a related note, I see where Millie Bobby Brown turns 18 in two days, on Saturday. Poor Chris Hansen will finally get a rest.
I agree that S2 was a bit weak, but IMO the show redeems itself in S3.

Regarding the ages of the actors, I think they’ve safely side-stepped that by ending the show after the fifth season. I have no doubt we’re going to see some gruesome deaths and self-sacrifices before this is all over.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-02-17, 14:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
They apparently also announced that Season 5 is the final season. So we know they will all die by then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Regarding the ages of the actors, I think they’ve safely side-stepped that by ending the show after the fifth season. I have no doubt we’re going to see some gruesome deaths and self-sacrifices before this is all over.
Until a surprise season 6, in about five years, where we learn "so-and-so didn't actually die, and...".

Just seems like that kind of show to me.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-02-22, 14:23

Just signed up for a Discovery+ trial. Half the shows on here are nature documentaries and the other half are just the trashiest reality TV imaginable.

I just want to watch some high-def footage of pretty fish and coral reefs, where does TLC even find all these morons?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-02-22, 14:42

I've lamented this for ages. Just 8-10 short years ago (okay, maybe more like 10-12?), Discovery, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, Trvl, etc. were a bunch of good, informative shows. Landscaping, building, nature, "how stuff works" (or is made), how to cook, shows about how buildings and bridges are built, history shows that didn't focus on Hitler 24/7, how to build a deck on your house, animals, documentaries and other informative fare, travel (cutie-pie Samantha Brown showing me the world), etc.

You now have to turn to YouTube for all the above (and even that's a challenge or task, some times).

Somewhere along the way the above networks turned into showcasing drama queens, whores, bitches, bro-dudes, meth-heads, moonshiners, crybabies, mental patients, rednecks, white trash, black trash, criminals, parolees, lowlives, sub-literates, car repo men, low-rent hot-rod builders and, astoundingly, every occupation that could ever exist: storage facility owners, pawn shop owners, real estate agents, flippers, tuna fisherman, tattoo artists, gold panners, etc. Along with - I'm not done yet - hoarders, addicts, bridezillas, babysitters, brat kids, the morbidly obese (My 600-Pound Life(?) is a show) and your everyday, run-of-the-mill morons who can't figure out how to stay out of county lockup.

It's horrible. And a shame. As if all the above shit hasn't invaded every other channel (the networks, the 24/7 "news" channels, ESPN and all its offshoots, etc.). The only way to escape is to pretty much not turn your TV on in 2022.

I would've lost everything I had, betting, 10-15 years ago, that "this stupid reality stuff will fizzle out by 2015 or so...there just isn't enough of a market for fat, dumb whores and the backwards-hat-wearing/Tap-Out T-shirt men who cheat on them."

Yeah, I missed that by about 22 miles...

The above networks should be ashamed of themselves. They've done nothing, this past 8-10 years, except contribute to the coarsening (and shitheadification) of the culture. Absolute, L.C.D. trash from what used to be legit, informative networks.

I like a lot of the channels included in Discovery+, but you definitely have to pick-and-choose and wade through a lot of crap, no doubt. For some reason, Trvl no longer shows travel shows, but, instead, 24/7 ghost-hunting/paranormal/My Attic Is Haunted (season 17) horseshit, wall-to-wall.

Basic cable - and the channels making up all these "+" streaming services - is a wasteland.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-02-22 at 14:57.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-02-22, 14:45

Yup. I don't understand how you go from your flagship show being the Mythbusters (still, IMO, one of the best TV shows ever) to this steaming pile of garbage.

Also just noticed that Apple has now released their own line of Planet Earth knockoffs narrated by Tom Hiddleston and Paul Rudd. Are they just planning to have every Marvel actor do one of these?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-02-22, 15:01

Probably.

I loved Mythbusters. I'll catch it on a rerun on some channel (Science Channel?) occasionally (like this past weekend) and will sit and watch.

It's a sign of the times that, as it went on, it seemed to get a little louder and gaudier (against Adam and Jamie's wishes, I'm betting) until, finally, it just couldn't achieve the levels of stupid and obnoxious required for post-2018 I Married a Hoarding Whore audiences. A shame.

Of course it's no longer on...nobody on it was proudly stupid, addicted to something and/or 480 lbs. WTF is Discovery going to do with such a show so devoid of freaks, morons and dickheads?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-02-24, 14:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I just want to watch some high-def footage of pretty fish and coral reefs, where does TLC even find all these morons?
Different network, but yeah...and still part of your Discovery+ subscription. Enjoy!

'Adults Adopting Adults' is abruptly canceled after online backlash. A&E says decision was due to 'ratings performance'

I'm sure.

Quote:
After airing just three of an expected 10 episodes, the A&E reality show about adults adopting other adults just as they would children, has been removed from the network's schedule and online. Monday night's episode did not air.
Uhh...

Quote:
However, The Daily Beast reported Tuesday that the show, which debuted Jan. 31, was taken off the air following fan reaction to the storyline that involves Danny Huff, a 59-year-old from Ohio, as he attempts to make 20-year-old expectant mom Ileana part of his family. Huff is married to a woman named Christy, who's openly much less enthusiastic about the adoption. He explained early on that a previous attempt to adopt an 18-year-old had not worked out, because he'd developed feelings for the young woman. (A press release for the show had described the situation as simply "an inappropriate relationship.")
This is what passes for "entertainment" and programming in 2022. Lovely.

I realize 18 is "legal", but it's not one bit less creepy when a 59-year-old (married) guy is putting the mooch on said 18-year-old. Who in the hell at A&E thought this was something to base a TV show around?

These networks are all in a race to see which one can be the most unlike they were 20 years ago. I think A&E just pulled ahead a bit, but I know Discovery and TLC will pull out all the stops with season five of NAMBLA Party Yacht: The Young Butt Chronicles and Strap-On Midgets Looking for Parolee Love.
¡Damned!

2022-03-18, 19:04

I noticed that the Netflix MCU stuff (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist) has moved on over to Disney+ recently, all grouped under the Defenders Saga heading. I was wondering what would happen when the contract was up, but it appears everything was amicable. Refreshing, if so.

The full 7 seasons of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. have also found a permanent home on Disney+, which I'm pretty happy about. I'll eventually re-watch all of those in entirety. There were a couple-few seasons that were a little hit-or-miss, but the seasons that did hit were just amazing – even under the constraints of network television!

All greenlit while Marvel cinema was at its most influential... good times and some great fucking content.

So it goes.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-03-18, 19:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I noticed that the Netflix MCU stuff (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist) has moved on over to Disney+ recently, all grouped under the Defenders Saga heading. I was wondering what would happen when the contract was up, but it appears everything was amicable. Refreshing, if so.

The full 7 seasons of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. have also found a permanent home on Disney+, which I'm pretty happy about. I'll eventually re-watch all of those in entirety. There were a couple-few seasons that were a little hit-or-miss, but the seasons that did hit were just amazing – even under the constraints of network television!

All greenlit while Marvel cinema was at its most influential... good times and some great fucking content.
I wonder if we're going to see Disney revive the Netflix series under their own brand. They've already brought Daredevil back.

Agents of SHIELD was such an odd duck out. Started as a companion series to the big films and then eventually divorced itself from the MCU. They tried to set up Inhumans with it (and did well, I thought) but the movie side of the house threw all that away. Such a strange relationship with their own studio.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-03-18, 20:50

There were only five seasons of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-03-18, 22:42

Listen y'all, as much as I've (unexpectedly enjoyed the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I could not buy into Agents of Shield. It did not work for me, but I'm glad that some of y'all dug it, so you should stop reading now because I'm about to kvetch.

Yes, I really like Agent Coulson.

How could you not? Deadpan but deadly works. He was the glue that held the series together, from ridiculous bad guy to insipid evil force, season in, season out.

BUT: they seemed to promise me a running tie-in with the MCU. No Captain America cameo, no Ironman, no Black Sponge or Hollerboy. A brief cameo can distract from the pulp.... but no.

Instead, we got the same old network melodrama, slopped out with a ladle. I can't buy in when you take second string, minor league heroes and try to make them super powerful.

And they had to adhere to a network buy in, which means a shit ton of episodes. The thing that makes me happiest is that the cast and crew had good solid steady work for a really good run. Might make a difference for peoples' pensions.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-03-18, 23:00

1-5, which ends with the planned series finale.

Everything else happens in the Mirror Universe. Which is lifted from another sci-fi franchise, but it works since they're now in space too.