User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Final Cut Pro: Add labels and divide a movie

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Final Cut Pro: Add labels and divide a movie
omem

2005-10-15, 09:48

I want to split this whole live show into several files (by song) with the song info and credits at the beginning of each. The problem is:
I don't know how to do any of these.

I have been tweaking around but with no positive results. So far the best I got was marking the spots where I want to cut and I sliced them with the razor. Now I see lines dividing the movie along the time line but I have no Idea of how should I export each section seperately. Oh, and how do I add text to the movie? Or even a small logo (such as a tv channel one) at some corner, that would be cool too!

Thanks

My Apple Gear: iMac G5 1.8GHz 17'' + iPod photo 40GB + iPod shuffle (green) + BlackBook 2.4GHz
Apple Communities: LiveJournal | Last.fm
My sites: Glassjaw.net | HeadAutomatica.net
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-10-15, 10:21

If you must use Final Cut Pro, try this:

Using the same media each time, make a number of sequences and dump the whole thing into each sequence. Then, tweak the in and out points (within each sequence, not on the copy in the browser) to suit each song. Then apply your text to these sequences. You can then export each sequence in turn to quicktime.

Text can be added by getting up the effects tab in the browser (Apple-5 in FCP 4.5), opening the Video Generators bin, and then opening the text bin within that. There's a few methods to choose from, each with a load of options in the Controls tab of the viewer.

A TV logo is probably best made first in Photoshop or similar, with some transparency. (I use PNG, but someone better at graphics may have a better idea.) Then import it into Final Cut Pro. Resize to suit using "Image and Wireframe" view. Then make the PNG clip as long as you need and drop it over the top of your video. Render, and you're done.

However, aside from the TV logo, the above is easier to do in iMovie, anyway!
omem

2005-10-15, 10:36

Thanks! I'll try that!

I was using iMovie before FCP but the size of the file I got after exporting with iMovie was more than twice the size of the original size!
Anyway now I know a few things I didn't at that time so I might be trying again with iMovie if things don't go right eith FCP.

My Apple Gear: iMac G5 1.8GHz 17'' + iPod photo 40GB + iPod shuffle (green) + BlackBook 2.4GHz
Apple Communities: LiveJournal | Last.fm
My sites: Glassjaw.net | HeadAutomatica.net