Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

How Apple ate the world

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How Apple ate the world
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-03-20, 07:39

Here's a link to an interesting article that I dug up on digg (written by a guy called Bryan Appleyard - seriously!):

How Apple ate the world

It makes some good points about Apple's appeal, and what they are doing right - and what the others are still doing wrong. The author also has a good sense of humor, making it a fun read.

The art connection is interesting, not only in the fact that Apple is big in the design/architecture/art world, but also the statements about Apple's product design being "postmodern" (though I don't think that that's quite correct - minimalist yes, modernist perhaps, but postmodern?). There is a lot of value in design and the artistic aspects of modern products, and the more the technology is sufficient and similar/equal between products, good and thoughtful design will be what differentiates them. Good design can't be measured (at least not easily, you can do user studies and surveys), making product comparisons harder - and flamewars more heated.
Is it 1981?

2006-03-20, 08:14

Hello - been lurking here for a while but this is my first post. Be gentle

One thing I'd question about the article is its' comparison with iPod and Hoover:
Quote:
Just as every vacuum cleaner was once really a Hoover, so now every music player is really an iPod.
Now should this take to mean that vacuum cleaners all aspired to be a Hoover (and the same with iPod) or is it implying that vacuum cleaners are generally referred to as 'Hoovers' (and sticky tapy/ Sellotape, sticky tack/ Blu tack etc)? If it's the latter, then I sincerely hope that'll never happen with iPod, indeed I don't think it's very likely. 'Hoovers' are just a household utility that people use do chores with, and aren't really that fun to do. iPod has become more than just an MP3 player, some could argue it's an important part of popculture; even the industrial design sets it apart from other MP3 players. The term 'iPod' is too closely linked with Apple and its brand to become a generic umbrella term.

But that's my 2p. and it's a nice article.
intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-03-20, 08:25

i see where the analogy was trying to go, but the ipod is much more a part of a lifestyle than a hoover.

i would have a very hard time seeing a vacuum cleaner be a lifestyle product, but i guess maybe in the 50s in the pages of good housekeeping it could be
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-03-20, 08:26

Welcome to AN, 1981! But I think the author is only referring to the name, and I don't think the iPod will ever be something that you do chores with. But the word "iPod" has certainly become a generic name for portable music players, much like the Walkman of 1981 , even inspiring new words like "podcast".
Franz Josef
Passing by

2006-03-20, 12:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
even inspiring new words like "podcast".
You just believe all that Apple hype. I have it on really good authority that:

' Podcasts, short for Personal On Demand broadcast, is defined in the New Oxford Amercian Dictionary as "a digital recording of a radio broadcast or similar program, made available on the Internet for downloading to a personal audio player" '

Now they wouldn't lie about a thing like that, would they? :smokey:

OK, of course they would, Zencast are really just a bunch of scumbags.
Is it 1981?

2006-03-20, 13:09

Thanks for the welcome ghoti.

Podcast is short for Personal-on-demand Broadcast and is nothing to do with iPod, of course. Conveniently overlooking the fact they the decide to invent the term ZENcast. The words 'grapes' and 'sour' consistently come into play with Creative's attitude with Apple
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-03-20, 17:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Josef
' Podcasts, short for Personal On Demand broadcast, is defined in the New Oxford Amercian Dictionary as "a digital recording of a radio broadcast or similar program, made available on the Internet for downloading to a personal audio player" '
Yeah, that's a definite backronym created to suit Creative's needs. And then submitted to OED