User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

SMC Firmware update for MacBook Pros (MacBooks?)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
SMC Firmware update for MacBook Pros (MacBooks?)
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Joolz34

2006-05-16, 17:09

Hi,
Just thought Id let you all know that a firmware update showed up in software updater tonight when I ran it to install the ilife stuff. Its an SMC firmware update listed as being for MacBook Pros and supposedly resolves some boot issues. Its 800kb and after installation I havent noticed anything just yet.

Just thought I'd share.

Regards,

Andrew
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-05-16, 19:25

Here's the Apple Support page for the SMC (System Management Control) update. Quoted for the lazy:

Quote:
The SMC Firmware Update 1.0 is a System Management Control (SMC) firmware update for certain Intel-based computers, including iMac (Early 2006), Mac mini (Early 2006) and MacBook Pro (15-inch) computers. Tip: Print or write down these instructions before you begin installing the update.

There are two parts to this process: Installing the firmware update application, and using the firmware update application to install the SMC Firmware Update.

Download the SMC Firmware Update 1.0, which is available at Apple Downloads.
Quit open applications, which are marked in the Dock with a small triangle.
Double click the SMC Update.pkg file.
Click Continue after reading the licensing agreement, then click Agree if you accept the terms.
Click Install to install the update application.
After the software is successfully installed, click Close to start the updater application. (If you inadvertently skipped this part, you can find the updater in /Applications/Utilities.)
Read the onscreen firmware update installation instructions, then click Restart to proceed.
As your computer starts, the SMC will be updated. Your computer's fans will run at full speed during the update but will return to
normal once the update completes. The computer will restart again once the firmware update is complete. Important: Do not interrupt the update process.

After your computer restarts a second time, you should see a message stating that the update was successful. Click OK to continue.

Note: If you see the dialog that you saw in step 7 instead of a message that the update was successful, try installing the update again (use the updater in /Applications/Utilities/).
Downloading and installing now, here's hoping that my MBP doesn't asplode.
kongfused

2006-05-16, 20:54

i installed it, and a small side effect of the update is that my macbook pro is reporting slightly lower cpu temps.

It used to be idling around 51-52C, now 45-47C.
I also feel like the case temps are somewhat less.

I'll take that as a happy side effect.

and no, i haven't messed with any thermal paste yet.
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-05-16, 20:56

Mine is still idling around 69C, and still reports roughly the same maxed-out CPU temps at around 75-79C. The left-side fan does sound a bit louder when running the CPU full-tilt, but the temperature doesn't really seem to be any lower than it was before the update.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-16, 20:57

Yeah, the average temperature seems a few degrees lower.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-05-16, 21:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
Yeah, the average temperature seems a few degrees lower.
Well, that can't be anything but good. I'm downloading right now, along with all the iLife 06 updates. It'll be a while, but I'll post after the update if mine seems to be running cooler.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2006-05-16, 21:32

Aw, I was hoping it would add double-finger click support.
RichieB

2006-05-16, 21:34

I just finished installing it on my iMac. The fans turning on full-speed caught me by surprise even though I knew it was going to happen. It made my iMac sound like your regular Hoover, there for a few seconds

Here tonight, we have, ah, apple and orange. We all different, but in the end, we all fruit.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-16, 21:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem9876
Aw, I was hoping it would add double-finger click support.
That would be very unlikely to be implemented on the firmware level. SMC/SMBus (the System Management Controller / Bus) is responsible for things like power management, fan control, etc.

Such trackpad features are usually implemented on the OS level, so you wouldn't have to go through the reboot / progress bar / full fan noise / etc. thing.

On the other hand, that also means these features wouldn't be available in Windows. (You'd have to implement them in a Windows-specific driver as well.)
intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-05-16, 22:54

does this solve the Adobe Version Cue and OpenBase problems?
chucker

2006-05-16, 22:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by intlplby
does this solve the Adobe Version Cue and OpenBase problems?
Why would it?
GOLDFRAPP

2006-05-16, 23:44

MBP users, have you noticed that the whining noise has disappeared?

*keeping fingers crossed*
chucker

2006-05-16, 23:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDFRAPP
MBP users, have you noticed that the whining noise has disappeared?

*keeping fingers crossed*
No, it's definitely still there.
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-05-16, 23:48

If the update did indeed 'fix' that particular noise (which, judging from what little I read about it on the Apple Discussion boards, it did not), I wouldn't notice anyway; this is the 'alternative' solution I used to get rid of it after the keyboard update.

Hrm...speaking of noises, I still need to take this thing in to get the display inverter replaced and have the right speaker looked at. I'll have to make sure I do that when I get back to Cali.
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-05-17, 01:12

Alrighty...so, I went ahead and put that kernel extension back, so that CPU stepping works as Apple intended. I also updated SpeedIt to the latest version, and checked the CPU temperature.

57C idle, and dropping.

The bad news? I can hear the damned thing again. I guess the real question is, does the noise (and slight performance drop) outweigh the fact that my MBP is now seemingly running 12 degrees Celsius cooler (at idle) than it was with the .kext removed?
Fooboy

2006-05-17, 05:47

Here is the code from the update.

Quote:
MBP = Yes
cpu.temp = cpu.thermal.sensor - 12
Joolz34

2006-05-17, 07:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode
Alrighty...so, I went ahead and put that kernel extension back
Hi - would you mind explaining to mewhat that kernal extension is and where you found it please? Id like to try it too.

Cheers
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-05-17, 07:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joolz34
Hi - would you mind explaining to mewhat that kernal extension is and where you found it please? Id like to try it too.

Cheers
Read the link in his previous post.

Note, however, that inexperienced users should not go swapping kexts.
Joolz34

2006-05-17, 10:37

Ok, thanks for pointing that out Id missed his link in the other post as I thought it was referring to something else.

Id also misread his current post and thought hed improved speedstep - which is why I was interested in trying it

I came across the linked thread on the apple discussion site before though but it seemed a bit of a drastic step to me at the time so I didnt try it.

Thanks for the pointer though.

Btw isnt it by trying things that you become experienced? Providing of course that a) Youve made backups b) you make sure you know what youre doing first and c) you accept that if you cock it up, its your own fault and finally d) Youve really made a backup and its current

Cheers,

Andrew

p.s. Id be interested in a little more explanation as to what the boot issues were/are too.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-05-17, 10:50

My MBP is now reporting 22°c when idle!

There's not really any difference in noise-levels, but mine wasn't "moo" specimen either.

Great update!
neiltc13

2006-05-17, 11:30

I've still got the whine on my MBP 1.83GHz.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-05-17, 11:37

My new 17" MBP hasn't experienced any whine - and I haven't found the temperature to be too disconcerting (it gets pretty toasty by the F keys, but not to an extent worth writing home about).

Before I install, has anyone who wasn't experiencing much noise found that after the update, they're hearing more now than before?
Joolz34

2006-05-18, 04:41

I dont know about the rest of you but Ive noticed that after installing this update I seem to have a booting issue that I didnt have before (though I admit it could be coincidence).

When I switch the computer on, it will sometimes sit at a white screen for a few seconds before flashing up (briefly) the folder with the question mark and then immediately booting into os x.

Im running boot camp btw with os x as the default startup disk.

Ive chcked the disk with the disk utility under os x and from the Apple hardware diagnostic DVD and it passes the test(s) successfully.

Is this something that some of you have experienced as well? Is there anything else I should be doing to check disk integrity?

Cheers
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-05-19, 21:16

Every time I've had issues in the past with that happening, all I did was reset the PRAM (hold Command+Option+P+R when you power the computer up, and hold them until after you hear the second startup chime) and it went away.

You might also double-check your Startup Disk preferences, and make sure the Mac's not doing something funny like trying to startup from a network or something.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-05-19, 21:34

FWIW, the update still has not shown up in my new MBP's software update. Some (at the TMO boards) have claimed it's only because of the "staggered" release of updates... implying that it hasn't come around to my computer yet. But I suspect it's because my model (which only started shipping in the last two weeks) already has the firmware update, despite the fact that wasn't released via software update until earlier this week.

Might explain why I haven't had noise or heat issues.
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-05-19, 21:40

What is your SMC Version number listed as in System Profiler? Mine (after the update) is listed as 1.2f10.
chucker

2006-05-19, 22:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode
What is your SMC Version number listed as in System Profiler? Mine (after the update) is listed as 1.2f10.
Ditto.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-05-19, 22:05

Nope - I'm only on 1.5f8.

So I don't have the update preinstalled... yet as of tonight, it won't show up in Software Update. Wonder if it's only for certain models, then (i.e not the 17" ones)? Also beginning to wonder if I shouldn't just download it from Apple's support page. Then again, my MBP is runnig fine, so I'm not sure why I need it, regardless.
chucker

2006-05-19, 22:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe
Nope - I'm only on 1.5f8.
That sounds to me like a higher version number, not a lower one.
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-05-19, 22:10

That's what I was thinking, too...I'm searching the Apple Discussions to see if the new 17" MBPs have a newer firmware than the 15" models.

Edit: Oh, I just noticed a part of the update description that I kinda glossed over before: the update is only intended for the 15" MBP. Different hardware, different firmware.