Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Mouse and Keyboard Suggestions For My New MacBook Pro

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mouse and Keyboard Suggestions For My New MacBook Pro
PKfanSteph

2006-06-30, 04:52

Hi all,

I am having a BLAST with my new 15" 2.16GHz MacBook Pro!!! The upgrade from my aging Wall Street is UNBELIEVABLE.

(more photos)

Now that I have a modern computer to travel with, I'd like to get a modern keyboard and mouse while I'm at my desk. It's easy enough to connect a wired keyboard but because of the small size of my desk, a wired mouse has always been a pain in the rear.

I like the feel of my laptop keyboard and I hear some of the Macally and Kensington boards are similar. Does anyone have experience with either of these brands, or something similar.

I'd also prefer a keyboard/mouse combo that sucks up only one USB port. If I get a wireless mouse, could it connect to the keyboard's USB port? At first I was thinking of Microsoft's wireless laser notebook mouse, but if I'm reading my reviews correctly, it doesn't play well with CRT monitors, which is problem. I've read some good things about the Logitech v400. Has anyone tried it?

Sorry Apple purists, there's no scroll wheel on their wireless mouse....

Does anyone else have any other suggestions? I'd like to stick to $100 or less for the pair if possible.

Stephanie Bargenquast,
MacBook Pro 15.4" (matte), 2.16 GHz Core Duo, 2 Gb RAM, 100 Gb HD, OSX 10.6.2
12" PowerBook G3 (WallStreet), 233 GHz, 96 Mb RAM, 2 Gb HD, MacOS 8.6
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-06-30, 09:23

I've only heard the Kensington's were good, never used one. I'm using a Logitech set now and love it. It needs to be retired, but it is still going strong.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-06-30, 09:31

My keyboard is a MacAlly iceKey, which I consider to be the best-feeling keyboard I've ever used. The keys are very much like the ones on a notebook computer, except they're just a bit larger and they have just a bit more travel. It's a full-sized keyboard designed for use with Macs and it has a built-in two port USB hub as well.

My mouse is a Logitech MX1000 laser mouse. Logitech has since added more laser mice to their lineup, but the MX1000 is still an excellent choice. It's about the best mouse I've ever used. Battery life is incredible, there's no wireless lag at all, it's comfortable and it has a huge number of buttons (all of which are designed to be easily accessible without making them too easy to accidentally click). And unlike MS's mice, it's solidly constructed and doesn't feel like it'll shatter into a million pieces if you squeeze it too hard.

This combo has worked out surprisingly well for me, and I think it will for you too. A few suggestions:

- Microsoft's mice feel really cheaply made. They're not as bad as many, but Logitech's quality is top-notch. Their drivers suck though, but I'm willing to put up with that. You can also use USB Overdrive instead.
- Skip Bluetooth. There's no real benefit and a lot of problems, such as lag, high cost, and a poor selection of BT mice to choose from. Standard radio frequency wireless is the way to go, very fast and reliable.
- I'd avoid Apple's keyboard. It sucks.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-06-30, 13:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
- I'd avoid Apple's keyboard. It sucks.
This cannot be underscored enough.

The last decent keyboard to come from Apple was the "Pro" keyboard that stopped shipping some three years ago, as I recall. The current crop is pretty bad.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-06-30, 13:47

Where's my external backlit aluminum Apple keyboard
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-06-30, 14:36

This one seems pretty comfy. I'm not certain of the state of their mac drivers, but I'd imagine they're at least decent.
PKfanSteph

2006-06-30, 18:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
This cannot be underscored enough.

The last decent keyboard to come from Apple was the "Pro" keyboard that stopped shipping some three years ago, as I recall. The current crop is pretty bad.
I'm borrowing one from my mom's boss at the moment that is absolutely deplorable. I have to POUND on the keys to make them work and it's missing the six-key panel above the arrow keys like the laptop keyboards (but not nearly as comfy!). I was thinking about the Macally iceKey--I've heard nothing but good things about it. The previously listed MS keyboard looks cool though and I like the idea of the zoom slider. Worth checking into!

I've about had it with old fashioned ball mice. Again, this borrowed one is one of the worst I've used. I was looking at the Logitech MX1000 when I found the V400. It has gotten some good reviews though it doesn't have the charging stand like the more expensive MX1000. But it would be more portable.

Luca, can you plug the mouse's USB receiver into the keyboard or does it have to go directly into the computer?

Looks like I'm on the right track--thanks all!!!

Stephanie Bargenquast,
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-06-30, 18:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKfanSteph
Luca, can you plug the mouse's USB receiver into the keyboard or does it have to go directly into the computer?

Looks like I'm on the right track--thanks all!!!
Yep, it works fine that way. The receiver uses its own external power supply (just power cord you plug into it) to facilitate fast charging of the mouse's battery. So it doesn't actually need to draw any power from the keyboard's port. I have had trouble getting other devices to work with the keyboard's USB port though, particularly a small USB flash drive I have. It gives me a low power warning so I have to plug it directly into the computer. My USB memory stick/compact flash reader works fine though.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-06-30, 19:06

I also have a Macally iceKey, and I love it. It's very similar to the PowerBook's keyboard, so it's comfortable to move from one to the other when I take my PowerBook away from the desk. About the USB ports on it, I can use them to read the flash card in my camera, but I can't use my CompactFlash reader with it, it doesn't have enough power.

I also have a Kensington PilotMouse Optical Pro, which is pretty good. In fact, the cable on it is so long you wouldn't have any problem reaching it around your MacBook Pro to plug it in. But, I wouldn't buy this mouse again. It's great, especially for $20, but I would rather have spent more, since this one doesn't glide well on a wood veneer and one of the extra buttons is difficult to press.

So, get the iceKey, but don't get the PilotMouse.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-07-01, 02:17

I also have the icekey, had it for almost a year and love it, way better than any keyboard I've ever used before.
Performa636CD

2006-07-01, 14:01

how about the IBM M Keyboard?
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-07-01, 14:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Performa636CD
how about the IBM M Keyboard?
They're pretty awesome to type on, but the mouse-nipple takes a while to get used to.

Another great keyboard is this Roll-Up Keyboard from ThinkGeek; it's silent, portable, and damn cool.

You ask me for a hamburger.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-07-01, 16:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
Another great keyboard is this Roll-Up Keyboard from ThinkGeek; it's silent, portable, and damn cool.
Not very useful, though. Have you ever actually used one? You have to hit the keys dead on, otherwise they don't register. Actually, it's kind of like the Apple keyboard in that respect. Very, very frustrating to actually type on, even if it's a neat concept.
Partial
Stallion

2006-07-02, 02:26

Here you go

http://www.supergooddeal.com/Product...BK&Click=17583
Koodari
Veteran Member

2006-07-02, 05:13

I have and recommend the Happy Hacking Lite2 keyboard. I can't see myself switching to a different keyboard anytime soon... unless HH comes out with a further improved model, that is. The $70 US price is a great deal. Since HH kb's are not sold here, I paid about double that price plus shipping costs from Germany, and it was still worth it.

Even better since you have a small desk.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-07-02, 07:03

How would you use the command key with that?
neiltc13

2006-07-02, 08:26

I use the Logitech S530 Cordless Desktop for Mac and while it's not Bluetooth it is a great set.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2006-07-02, 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
How would you use the command key with that?
Umm... the same way you use them with whatever keyboard you have now? They are in the normal location.

PFU (the manufacturer) uses a diamond symbol because the keyboard is not for a particular OS but a standard USB peripheral. This is another thing that I think the average keyboard fails at. It's not very stylish to have Windows keys hanging on your keyboard when you're in Linux, nor is it stylish to have Command keys when you are in Windows.
PKfanSteph

2006-07-31, 13:15

Just an update for anyone else who might be following this thread...

I got the McAlly Icekey keyboard, the Logitech v400 wireless laser mouse and, just for grins, a Griffin PowerMate. I'm quite happy with the combination! The keyboard is the best I've ever used, the mouse is perfect and the PowerMate is just plain fun!!!

It should be noted, that I needed to download new MacIntel drivers for all three devices since the CDs they ship with hadn't been updated. But that wasn't hard to do at all.

For the curious, my mouse setup is...

left mouse button - single click
right mouse button - command-click
scroll wheel - up/down/left/right
scroll wheel click - cruise down (this one might get changed, I don't use it often)
additional button 1 - expose' all windows
additional button 2 - dashboard

The last two were a bit tricky. I had to change the default settings for dashboard and expose', program the mouse with the F9 and F12 keystrokes, and then reset the expose' and dashboard defaults. But the settings work really well for me so it was worth the extra effort.

The PowerMate has been more useful than I thought it would be. Unlike the mouse, it can have different settings for different apps or use a global setting. I use both depending on whether I'm using an external monitor or the MBP's own 15.4" LCD. You can program just about any keystroke to the rotate left, rotate right, click, long click, click and rotate left, and click and rotate right. The default individual application settings work great, but when I'm using the laptop display, I set the PowerMate to Global and program the Zoom In and Zoom Out (and Zoom on/off) to activate on rotate left/right and click. It works great if you've got bad eyesight like me!

I will definitely be buying more stuff from Griffin Technology, especially their iCurve and Garageband Guitar Cable.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your advice!

Stephanie Bargenquast,
photoshopphreak101

2006-07-31, 21:41

Best Keyboard Ever: Das Keyboard II
http://www.daskeyboard.com/
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-07-31, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopphreak101
Best Keyboard Ever: Das Keyboard II
http://www.daskeyboard.com/
No. However badass typing without labeled keys makes you feel, the Das Keyboard can't touch the HH Lite 2.
photoshopphreak101

2006-08-01, 22:45

I prefer the Das Keyboard; it has weighted keys designed so the least effort is required to press down each key. I don't know much about the HH Lite 2 but they seem like similar keyboards. Except mine makes the audible clicks of mechanical keys.
duyvan82

2006-08-02, 19:23

isn't 90 bucks for a wired keyboard a bit too expensive? :S :S :S
I wouldn't buy that I reckon, that's just me though
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-08-02, 20:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by duyvan82
isn't 90 bucks for a wired keyboard a bit too expensive? :S :S :S
Not necessarily. You could say the same thing about Macs being more expensive than PCs or various monitors or speakers being more expensive than cheap ones. Sometimes good products simply cost more because they are worth more. After all, a keyboard is a device you're going to be spending a lot of time with. You don't want to cut corners with that to save a few bucks.

The MacAlly IceKey, for example, is US$59 and it gets rave reviews.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-08-02, 21:32

I'm with Brad. You're going to use the keyboard a lot. It's worth it to get one that feels right.

I haven't used the IceKey, but everybody seems to love it.

I have a small room and a miniscule desk, so I like the HH Lite 2. If I had a full-size keyboard, I wouldn't be able to fit my mouse on my keyboard shelf, and I think it would be awkward to have the mouse higher than my keyboard (on the main desk surface).

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
DK-Lach

2006-08-03, 05:10

Does anyone have any experience with this Logitech Mac Keyboard/Mouse set?

It looks really sazzy, and the price is nice. But how does it work on a daily basis?